No. of words in standard page
Thread poster: Rosalind Cooke (X)
Rosalind Cooke (X)
Rosalind Cooke (X)
Local time: 13:16
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 23, 2007

To help me with project management invoicing, when my Swiss-German client sends me loads of text measured in German-style standard pages does he mean 255 words or 285 how many words does this page equate to please?

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Ask Client Apr 23, 2007

This might sound elementary, but...

Don't ask us, ask the client, who is the only one who can give you a definitive answer.

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
can you re-state that? Apr 24, 2007

Rosalind,
I think I know what you're asking, but I'm not sure. Could you please explain it a bit more? For now, here are my thoughts:

The size of a page can depend on the type size. For example, the University of Arizona Press (I edit for them) uses Courier 10, so they pay by the page, but each page is 300 words. (They actually count pages, so a half-empty page still counts as a page.)

On the other hand, most of my clients work in Times Roman 12, and a page for t
... See more
Rosalind,
I think I know what you're asking, but I'm not sure. Could you please explain it a bit more? For now, here are my thoughts:

The size of a page can depend on the type size. For example, the University of Arizona Press (I edit for them) uses Courier 10, so they pay by the page, but each page is 300 words. (They actually count pages, so a half-empty page still counts as a page.)

On the other hand, most of my clients work in Times Roman 12, and a page for them is 250 words. Since I take a word count of the whole document, and divide by 250, then I don't get paid for partially empty pages.

Last week, a publishing house wanted to know how much I'd charge per page for a book that hasn't been produced yet. I asked them how many words per page on average they use, and they couldn't answer (I was surprised by that). So, I gave them a bid based on 250 words and another on 300.

Anyway, hope that helps!
Patricia
Collapse

Rosalind Cooke (X)
Rosalind Cooke (X)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Henry, my clinet was asked and this I DID ask client, but had hoped to invoice them last name. Apr 24, 2007

My client has indeed this morning providedthe answer, which applies not only to this client but to most in Germany/German Switzerland, namely, 255 words, 30 lines, and does NOT count any empty part pages also 1650 characters on a page.

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Same as Italy??? Apr 24, 2007

Hi Rosalind

I have no idea if the German standard page is the same as the Italian "cartella" but this is normally 1500 key strokes, including spaces (sometimes 1800 for legal and publishing texts).
As a rule of thumb I convert this to an average of 213 words. Obviously (?) German words tend to be longer but you could easily find your own rule of thumb by using Word's word / character count on some sample texts.
Hope that's of some help.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
Uhm Apr 24, 2007

Rosalind Cooke wrote:

30 lines

At the risk of simplifying and based on the 30 lines you mention, I presume: line = standard 55 characters including spaces. Quoting per page may refer to the 30 lines.

Tjasa Kuerpick
Tjasa Kuerpick  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2006)
Slovenian to German
+ ...
Clearly defined Apr 24, 2007

VdÜ and many other German publishing houses have defined a standard page with 1800 signs (signs including blanks), which means that there are 30 lines x 60 signs.

But as there are many others who define their standard page differently, the best way is to contect your client and ask him. If he has no clear definition, you may still suggest the definition for a standard page mentioned above.

see as well the links below:... See more
VdÜ and many other German publishing houses have defined a standard page with 1800 signs (signs including blanks), which means that there are 30 lines x 60 signs.

But as there are many others who define their standard page differently, the best way is to contect your client and ask him. If he has no clear definition, you may still suggest the definition for a standard page mentioned above.

see as well the links below:
- http://www.literaturuebersetzer.de/pages/wissenswertes-archiv/normseite.htm
- http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normseite
- http://www.warum-verlage.de/content/view/111/32/
- http://www.netlektorin.de/fachbegr.php (term: Normseite)
Collapse

Lucie Vidmar
Lucie Vidmar
Czech Republic
Czech to English
+ ...
Word count - eternal question Apr 24, 2007

in my opinion, translating from czech to english and english to czech, the most reliable and fair method is character count, when standard page is 1.800 characters with spacing or 1.500 characters without it, while the latter always seems to be somehow more profitable; sometimes it is on the translator to choose, another time the client/customer counts it in either way. i am myself now trying hard to find what is the word count per SP in english... See more
in my opinion, translating from czech to english and english to czech, the most reliable and fair method is character count, when standard page is 1.800 characters with spacing or 1.500 characters without it, while the latter always seems to be somehow more profitable; sometimes it is on the translator to choose, another time the client/customer counts it in either way. i am myself now trying hard to find what is the word count per SP in english if anyone knows any established number, please advice.Collapse

KHALDUN ALQAYSI
KHALDUN ALQAYSI
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 16:16
English to Arabic
+ ...
250 words per page Dec 10, 2013

Hi everybody,

I usually count as a page the one which has 250 words (target text).

The word is for $ 0.11 to 0.14, this depends on the difficulty and complexity of the source text.

some outsourcers are not willing to pay and they always look for cheap translators

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No. of words in standard page

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »