Survey on generative artificial intelligence deliberately posted on the Theory and Practice forum
Thread poster: Michael Farrell
Michael Farrell
Michael Farrell  Identity Verified

Local time: 09:59
Italian to English
Feb 17

I have deliberately not posted this in a forum devoted to tools and technical things (and kindly ask no one to do so) because I want it to reach both translators who use generative artificial intelligence (GenAI) and translators who don't or refuse to do so. If it were posted on a tools forum, it could bias the results towards GenAI users.

The emergence of generative artificial intelligence has heralded a paradigm shift in several professions.

To gain i
... See more
I have deliberately not posted this in a forum devoted to tools and technical things (and kindly ask no one to do so) because I want it to reach both translators who use generative artificial intelligence (GenAI) and translators who don't or refuse to do so. If it were posted on a tools forum, it could bias the results towards GenAI users.

The emergence of generative artificial intelligence has heralded a paradigm shift in several professions.

To gain insight into the proportion of professional translators that use GenAI in their translation work, and the various ways they do, I have set up an anonymous survey, scheduled to close on 20 March 2024 or when 385 valid replies have been received, whichever the later. Due to its international nature, the survey is in English. I would be extremely grateful if you could share this link to the survey with your colleagues. Please note that I am also interested in replies from translators who do not use GenAI for their work.

I intend to use the results to write and publish a paper, which I hope to present at one or more conferences. If you would like to receive a link to a free copy of the paper when it is ready and hear about any conferences where I report the results, please complete the contact form webpage, even if you do not take the survey or share the link with your colleagues. Besides being a professional translator, I also lecture at the IULM University in Milan and consequently intend to include the results of the survey in my course material.

[Edited at 2024-02-17 10:43 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
The what now? Feb 18

I wasn't sure what "generative artificial intelligence" was, so I googled it. I'm not really much the wiser. I don't see how it can be useful to a translator like myself. Seems geared more towards students wanting to cheat in their exams

Tom in London
Christopher Schröder
IrinaN
Angie Garbarino
Lingua 5B

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:59
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I did it but Feb 18

I did your survey even though I'm not interested in the topic but I was curious that there were no questions about CAT tools that use AI. Anyway good luck with it- I'm sure it's the kind of thing that gets kudos at IULM - a place I know well.

[Edited at 2024-02-18 19:19 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Disliked tone Feb 18

I started doing it but got irritated by the tone and gave up

It has no use, would’ve been my answer

Tom in London

Michael Farrell

Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
That's what I hope to find out Feb 19

It would be useful to know how many people don't use it because they have simply have never heard of it. In other words, it would be useful if you took the survey.

neilmac wrote:

I wasn't sure what "generative artificial intelligence" was, so I googled it. I'm not really much the wiser. I don't see how it can be useful to a translator like myself. Seems geared more towards students wanting to cheat in their exams

Michael Farrell

Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
GenAI and CAT tools Feb 19

Thank you.
Actually, there is a question about CAT tools that use AI, but you don't get asked that question if you say you don't use it at all.
As for kudos, I am not trying to earn any from the IULM or from any other place. I am trying to get an idea of whether it is used or not, and how. For example, if it turns out that virtually no one finds it useful, it won't get more than a ten minute mention on my course. It is important for future translators to have a realistic picture of w
... See more
Thank you.
Actually, there is a question about CAT tools that use AI, but you don't get asked that question if you say you don't use it at all.
As for kudos, I am not trying to earn any from the IULM or from any other place. I am trying to get an idea of whether it is used or not, and how. For example, if it turns out that virtually no one finds it useful, it won't get more than a ten minute mention on my course. It is important for future translators to have a realistic picture of what is happening on the market they are about to enter.

Tom in London wrote:

I did your survey even though I'm not interested in the topic but I was curious that there were no questions about CAT tools that use AI. Anyway good luck with it- I'm sure it's the kind of thing that gets kudos at IULM - a place I know well.

[Edited at 2024-02-18 19:19 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Farrell

Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
The "tone" was not designed to put people off Feb 19

It is a shame you did not complete the survey. It is important to find out how many people don't find GenAI useful. But it is also important to make sure the replies are valid.

Christopher Schröder wrote:

I started doing it but got irritated by the tone and gave up

It has no use, would’ve been my answer

Eugenio Garcia-Salmones
Eugenio Garcia-Salmones  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2015)
Russian to Spanish
+ ...
There is no generative AI Feb 19

There is no generative AI so no one can use it. And they have no idea how to create it... What they wrongly call AI is not AI at all, but programmes with great capacities for compilation and synthesis.

Cordially

Zea_Mays

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
EI, not AI Feb 20

Eugenio Garcia-Salmones wrote:

There is no generative AI so no one can use it. And they have no idea how to create it... What they wrongly call AI is not AI at all, but programmes with great capacities for compilation and synthesis.

Those terms are actually misleading. Let's call it "emulated intelligence". The EI engines only emulate creativity = generation based on the data they have been fed and throug complex probability computation.

Eugenio Garcia-Salmones
Eugenio Garcia-Salmones  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2015)
Russian to Spanish
+ ...
Indeed it is Feb 20

Zea_Mays wrote:

Eugenio Garcia-Salmones wrote:

Those terms are actually misleading. Let's call it "emulated intelligence". The EI engines only emulate creativity = generation based on the data they have been fed and throug complex probability computation.

Indeed it is, but they want to sell it that way, I imagine to impress the profane.

Michael Farrell

Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still time to take part and share Mar 6

If you haven't already, I would be very grateful if you would share and take part in this anonymous survey on the use of generative artificial intelligence by professional translators, including if you do not use it at all.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Survey on generative artificial intelligence deliberately posted on the Theory and Practice forum

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »