Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 7, 2023

Hello

(This is for UK English)

I am interested in knowing what others think about punctuation for company names.

In the UK, we have largely stripped out a lot of punctuation - for example, we mostly don't put a full stop at the end of Mr, Mrs, Dr etc, or Ltd for a limited company or PLC for public limited companies.

I'm totally used to this now and when I see the punctuation in Spanish company names - eg "Fabricante de Ingenios, S.L." it jars
... See more
Hello

(This is for UK English)

I am interested in knowing what others think about punctuation for company names.

In the UK, we have largely stripped out a lot of punctuation - for example, we mostly don't put a full stop at the end of Mr, Mrs, Dr etc, or Ltd for a limited company or PLC for public limited companies.

I'm totally used to this now and when I see the punctuation in Spanish company names - eg "Fabricante de Ingenios, S.L." it jars with me and I generally make it cleaner and easier to read by reproducing it as "Fabricante de Ingenios SL".

I think this is fine in general text. But what if it is a business letter that has a legal aspect to it? Would stripping out the punctuation be unwise, even if the punctuation looks ugly? Does "Fabricante de Ingenios SL" stand up sufficiently well? Or do I need to stick to its formal name "Fabricante de Ingenios, S.L." as jarring as it is to the British eye?

Would appreciate any thoughts please. And even better, authoritative references, if possible.

Many thanks.
Collapse

neilmac
Helena Chavarria

Francisco Vare
Francisco Vare
Poland
Local time: 01:31
Polish to Spanish
+ ...
Both May 7, 2023

Both options seem to be correct in Spanish, so feel free to get rid of the space and the full stops.
However, as a Spaniard, using the version without the full stops makes my eyes bleed.

Edit: Apparently, the RAE has gone against its own rule and you don't use the spaces or the full stops now unless the whole text is written in capital letters.

[Edited at 2023-05-07 17:58 GMT]

Comunican

Eugenia Tain
Eugenia Tain  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 20:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
Spanish acronyms shouldn't have full stops either May 7, 2023

According to RAE, nowadays acronyms aren't spelled with neither full stops nor white spaces. You should only use full stops if the whole text is in capital letters.

"Las siglas se escriben hoy sin puntos ni blancos de separación. Solo se escribe punto tras las letras que componen las siglas cuando van integradas en textos escritos enteramente en mayúsculas: MEMORIA ANUAL DEL C.S.I.
... See more
According to RAE, nowadays acronyms aren't spelled with neither full stops nor white spaces. You should only use full stops if the whole text is in capital letters.

"Las siglas se escriben hoy sin puntos ni blancos de separación. Solo se escribe punto tras las letras que componen las siglas cuando van integradas en textos escritos enteramente en mayúsculas: MEMORIA ANUAL DEL C.S.I.C."

https://www.rae.es/dpd/sigla
Collapse

Comunican

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Abbreviations vs acronyms May 7, 2023

AFAIK, in Spanish abbreviations are not treated the same way as acronyms and you should write Lda.

https://www.rae.es/dpd/ayuda/abreviaturas

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks Francisco May 8, 2023

Francisco Vare wrote:

Both options seem to be correct in Spanish, so feel free to get rid of the space and the full stops.
However, as a Spaniard, using the version without the full stops makes my eyes bleed.

Edit: Apparently, the RAE has gone against its own rule and you don't use the spaces or the full stops now unless the whole text is written in capital letters.

[Edited at 2023-05-07 17:58 GMT]

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks Eugenia May 8, 2023

Eugenia Tain wrote:

"Las siglas se escriben hoy sin puntos ni blancos de separación. Solo se escribe punto tras las letras que componen las siglas cuando van integradas en textos escritos enteramente en mayúsculas: MEMORIA ANUAL DEL C.S.I.C."

https://www.rae.es/dpd/sigla

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Me too May 9, 2023

I also tend to omit the dots in things like SL, SA...etc., unless the client expressly forbids it. The same goes for things like UK, USA, etc.,where they are even more unsightly.

Comunican

Tony Keily
Tony Keily
Italian to English
+ ...
Seeing as you're looking for guidance in English... May 10, 2023

... a handy reference for these kinds of questions is the European Commission Style Guide:

https://wikis.ec.europa.eu/download/attachments/6824833/commission_style_guide.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1594633342434&api=v2

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you May 11, 2023

I find this thread/discussion very useful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Punctuation in Spanish company names

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »