Thread poster: Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:06
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Feb 6, 2014

Maybe it's just me, but 'technical' seems to be a very vague term. A job posting requesting 'technical' translators could mean anything from software manuals to nuclear engineering procedures. Personally, I have reasonably in-depth experience of exhaust systems and manufacturing processes, but I would feel very much out of my comfort zone if asked to translate a text about electronics or mining, for example. I am reluctant to respond to a posting without knowing a little more about what the job ... See more
Maybe it's just me, but 'technical' seems to be a very vague term. A job posting requesting 'technical' translators could mean anything from software manuals to nuclear engineering procedures. Personally, I have reasonably in-depth experience of exhaust systems and manufacturing processes, but I would feel very much out of my comfort zone if asked to translate a text about electronics or mining, for example. I am reluctant to respond to a posting without knowing a little more about what the job entails. Does anyone else feel that a little more information would be useful?Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:06
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Respond and ask for clarification Feb 6, 2014

There is nothing wrong with asking more information about the job. Ask the exact subject field, or even a sample for evaluation. If you are submitting a quote, do not submit a rate, or submit a range only, and say that you will be able to give a precise quote when you can see a sample. You can explain this in the message of your quote. Professional agencies understand that. Good translators specialize, and won't take on jobs that are not in their area(s) of expertise.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What does 'technical' mean?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »