Thread poster: Masoud Kakouli Varnousfaderani
Masoud Kakouli Varnousfaderani
Masoud Kakouli Varnousfaderani  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:20
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Dec 9, 2013

I was studying translation theories that I came across this sentence and I wondered what does it mean?

They agree that equivalence is belief structure.

Can you clarify the meaning of aforementioned sentence for me?

Thanks in advance!

[Edited at 2013-12-10 07:45 GMT]

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 06:20
Dutch to English
+ ...
More context Dec 10, 2013

Impossible to know what it means without more of the text, at least the whole paragraph that this sentence appears in.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:20
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Here, perhaps... Dec 10, 2013

Tina Vonhof wrote:
Impossible to know what it means without more of the text, at least the whole paragraph that this sentence appears in.

Page 20 of this PDF contains the sentence: "Gutt, Toury and Pym might thus fundamentally agree on equivalence as a belief structure that has to be analyzed as such."

The author means that what these three linguists said about equivalence boils down to the idea that a translation offers equivalence simply because the reader believes it offers it, that true equivalence does not exist except as an ideal which is never attained.

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:20
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
same value (equi-valence) Dec 10, 2013

"The term “equivalence”, in various European languages, became a feature of Western translation theories in the second half of the twentieth century. Its heyday
was in the 1960s and 1970s, particularly within the frame of structuralist linguistics.
The term roughly assumes that a source text and a translation can share
the same value (equi-valence) on some level, and that this assumed sameness is
what distinguishes translations from all other kinds of texts. Within th
... See more
"The term “equivalence”, in various European languages, became a feature of Western translation theories in the second half of the twentieth century. Its heyday
was in the 1960s and 1970s, particularly within the frame of structuralist linguistics.
The term roughly assumes that a source text and a translation can share
the same value (equi-valence) on some level, and that this assumed sameness is
what distinguishes translations from all other kinds of texts. Within that paradigm,
to talk about translations was to talk about different kinds of equivalence."

Quoted from
Natural and directional equivalence in theories of translation
Anthony Pym
Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Tarragona, Spain*
http://www.ualberta.ca/~ivashkiv/translation/PYM%20on%20equivalence.pdf

EDIT: I see I'm not the only one to google this... timing does it...

[Edited at 2013-12-10 21:15 GMT]
Collapse

Türkiye
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Correct sentence Dec 11, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

Tina Vonhof wrote:

Page 20 of this PDF contains the sentence: "Gutt, Toury and Pym might thus fundamentally agree on equivalence as a belief structure that has to be analyzed as such."

The author means that what these three linguists said about equivalence boils down to the idea that a translation offers equivalence simply because the reader believes it offers it, that true equivalence does not exist except as an ideal which is never attained.

Your sentence that was quoted from that PDF is correct! Thanks for replying! So in this sentence belief structure means a structure that originates from an abstract base which is the belief is someone's mind.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No... Dec 11, 2013

Masoud Kakoli wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:

So, in this sentence "belief structure" means a structure that originates from an abstract base which is the belief [in] someone's mind.

No, I think "belief structure" is simply academic disverbosity for "it is based on belief". A belief structure isn't really a structure, in other words. Saying "equivalence is a belief structure" simply means "equivalence is based on belief". That is how I see it.

Türkiye
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agree!! Dec 11, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

Masoud Kakoli wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:

So, in this sentence "belief structure" means a structure that originates from an abstract base which is the belief [in] someone's mind.

No, I think "belief structure" is simply academic disverbosity for "it is based on belief". A belief structure isn't really a structure, in other words. Saying "equivalence is a belief structure" simply means "equivalence is based on belief". That is how I see it.

When I was reading that book and ran into this sentence, I guessed that this means "equivalence is based on belief"! However, to get sure about it, I decided to post it here.
Thanks!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Now that it's out of the bag... Dec 12, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:
... No, I think "belief structure" is simply academic disverbosity for "it is based on belief".

I didn't like to say anything earlier for fear of offending anyone, but I tend to agree - in fact much of linguistic or translation theory seems to me to be merely posturing and often unnecessarily complicated. I'd put it this way: "Equivalence is like Tinkerbell - if you believe in her/it... then it exists."

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Belief structure

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »