Thread poster: Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:55
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Dec 20, 2009

Anyone else affected by this? I'm trying to get my son, girlfriend and two friends visiting from Oz back from Brussels. I managed to find a flight and have sold a kidney to book it. I haven't told them they may well face chaos at the airport too. Does anyone have any more info? Everyone was just left stranded with no support for food or accommodation. Disgraceful.

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 19:55
German to English
+ ...
(Ir)relevance Dec 20, 2009

I'd be interested to know what this has to do with translating and translators. Sounds more like a rant at Eurostar.

Susanna Garcia
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
rant Dec 20, 2009

I did post as off topic to be fair, and I've seen 'off-er' in the past but I have no problems with its removal obviously; I was just curious. And furious. So you're right, rant it is.

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
White Christmas ;-) Dec 20, 2009

I live near Lille and I can only confirm that it is snowing and snowing all over the north of France and Belgium.
So yes it means probable chaos at the airport and on the main roads too.
Sorry ...

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
Nothing wrong with a good rant Dec 20, 2009

(out in Austria the weather that seems to have caused the problems is standard and generally the trains get through on time - it's other things that make them late!)

Susanna Garcia
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
eurostar Dec 20, 2009

Thanks for understanding.
Suzi

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
just heard on the news... Dec 20, 2009

Eurostar's MD has said that the service might not get back to normal until after Christmas... they are trying to understand the reason behind the breakdowns...

Susanna Garcia
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
delays Dec 20, 2009

Looks like Brussels airport is closing down too. Running out of body parts to sell! Thank you for support and info.
Suzi

British Diana
British Diana
Germany
German to English
+ ...
It does have to do with translating! Dec 29, 2009

I think this topic DOES have to dop with translating. As far as I can tell the problems were caused not only by the weather but by bad communucation between the various parties (the tunnel company and the train company, wasn't it?) . Might this have had to do with people from one country imperfectly understanding the people from the other country? I'm thinking of oral language but also of printed, translated instruction manuals/contingency plans.
Could I be right?

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
ProZ.com Scope Dec 29, 2009

Acceptable subjects for Off-topic posts include Travel tips and Natural disasters (including cold spells): http://www.proz.com/faq/3088#3088

Susanna Garcia
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Eurostar Dec 29, 2009

Just to wind it up, they made it out of Brussels by the skin of their teeth on the last flight and after two cancellations. They have also developed a taste for Business Class travel - I, myself, have never travelled Business Class.

Diana, you are right of course.

Happy 2010 to all

Suzi

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Eurostar

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »