Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Did any other London translators have this strange experience?
Thread poster: philgoddard
Richard Robinson
Richard Robinson  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:34
Hungarian to English
+ ...
ours not to reason why... Dec 8, 2009

philgoddard wrote:

I think it might have been on Farringdon Road. But why would a translation company run logical reasoning tests?

um... actually the EU translation service also has logical reasoning tests, doesn't it? (Even if the logical reasoning tests are for all EU jobs, not just translators). And they also give a test translation - so apparently they are not adhering to the ATA guidelines (fair enough - they don't have to if they are not members).

Anyway, thank you for this fascinating story. (by the way, the title of my post is ironic. Of course it is our place to "reason why". I have to say this on the wretched Internet because "Internauts" often take you literally... oh dear).

[Edited at 2009-12-08 08:56 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:34
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Nerds' corner Dec 8, 2009

Tom Thumb wrote:

I think it might have been on Farringdon Road. But why would a translation company run logical reasoning tests?

Farringdon Underground station is not on Farringdon Road

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:34
French to German
+ ...
Smirks (in the Sean Connery manner) Dec 8, 2009

Richard Robinson wrote:

(...)I have to say this on the wretched Internet because "Internauts" often take you literally... oh dear).

[Edited at 2009-12-08 08:56 GMT]

They would be better off taking this in a "literary" way - but as everybody knows: "It's a long way to Literary / It's a long way to go..."

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone Dec 8, 2009

I wasn't sure I'd get any answers to that question, but my question has now been satisfactorily and interestingly answered. I'd love to know which company it was, but if we mentioned their name, it would probably come to their attention and they'd feel guilty for having wasted my time with their bizarre recruitment methods. I hope.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Did any other London translators have this strange experience?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »