Georgia Blerot
Georgia Blerot  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:00
Member (2022)
French to English
+ ...
Jun 17, 2022

Hi, I'm getting back into translation after a 12-year break and am preparing to sit the NAATI Translation exam for French into English. I was interested in hearing what others did to prepare their exam? I have been taking all the practice tests NAATI has posts. What other things would you recommend? Any advice much appreciated

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

I’ve shared your question Jun 26, 2022

I’ve shared this post with a FR>EN translator who may be able to offer some great guidance. Meanwhile, you can search for the Facebook group: ‘The Australian Translators and Interpreters Space’ where many Australian-based T&I practitioners can help (no discussion of the NAATI testing allowed though!).
Good luck!

Georgia Blerot
United States
Member (2022)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank U Dylan Jun 27, 2022

Thank u Dylan - I’ll definitely take a look at the FB group

Anna Herbst
Anna Herbst  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 17:00
English to Swedish
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
@Dylan Jun 27, 2022

Why not ask your friend to share his/her experience with the ProZ community? I am sure it would be much appreciated.

Anna Jenman
Anna Jenman  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Hi, I'm a French to English NAATI Certified translator Jun 27, 2022

Hi Georgia,

I hope I can be of some help - NAATI's pre-requisite requirements have changed a couple of times since I first took my NAATI exams but I hope I can be of assistance. If you fulfil the pre-requisite training requirements, then I think you are already doing the best thing by using the practice papers to get a feel for the type of texts you'll be faced with. I did the same thing, as well as a NAATI Translation preparation and ethics course (which I am not sure if they stil
... See more
Hi Georgia,

I hope I can be of some help - NAATI's pre-requisite requirements have changed a couple of times since I first took my NAATI exams but I hope I can be of assistance. If you fulfil the pre-requisite training requirements, then I think you are already doing the best thing by using the practice papers to get a feel for the type of texts you'll be faced with. I did the same thing, as well as a NAATI Translation preparation and ethics course (which I am not sure if they still run). The other thing I found helpful was to ask a certified translator who I knew was also a French teacher to mentor me - he took time to critique the translations I had done and helped build my confidence for the exam.

All the best!

Anna
Collapse

Georgia Blerot
United States
Member (2022)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 28, 2022

Hi Anna, thank you so much for these ideas - very helpful indeed. I might reach out to NAATI and see if they still run the course. I have a PG Diploma in Translation from Macquarie but this would be a great refresher. All the very best

Ben Gaia
Ben Gaia  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 19:00
French to English
+ ...
immersion Jul 2, 2022

I prepared for and passed the NAATI test in Melbourne by borrowing lots of videos (this was 1996) and watching as many French movies as possible. Also practise translations every day both the given ones and random ones from French news sources like Liberation or Le Monde. The main thing is to immerse yourself all day in French as if you were actually there. So go to cafes and talk to yourself in French on forest walks, best of all find a French speaking club or community and reach out for practi... See more
I prepared for and passed the NAATI test in Melbourne by borrowing lots of videos (this was 1996) and watching as many French movies as possible. Also practise translations every day both the given ones and random ones from French news sources like Liberation or Le Monde. The main thing is to immerse yourself all day in French as if you were actually there. So go to cafes and talk to yourself in French on forest walks, best of all find a French speaking club or community and reach out for practice. I found the University libraries most helpful. You need to be thinking bilingually.
I passed the Translation test but not the Interpretation which is much harder. You will need to practice out loud for that one with the French radio on. I was stymied by a car accident scenario with the damaged front right indicator and dented rear bumper...hard stuff, then a dry report on different quantities of exports in thousands of bushels in 1976, got to be real quick on those big numbers and obscure measurements!!!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Anna Herbst[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Preparation for NAATI French to English Translation Certification Exam

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »