So, did I pass NAATI, am I accredited now?
Thread poster: Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Sep 7, 2017

Well, 8 weeks have passed since I took my NAATI exam for Professional Translator: Thai-English.

I've been uncertain about my performance since time ran out during the exam and I put my pen down.

Today I logged into NAATI Online and the 'Purchase Products' page shows this under NAATI Certificates:

Screen_Shot_2017_09_06_at_11_08_37_am

So, does that mean that I've passed?!

Nothing in the mail yet, thanks for the anxiety Australia Post!

I'm waiting to pop this bottle of champagne!!!

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Stamp too! Sep 7, 2017

It looks like I can order a stamp too!!

Screen_Shot_2017_09_06_at_11_09_06_am

[Edited at 2017-09-07 04:42 GMT]

Auckland Translations Ltd
Auckland Translations Ltd
New Zealand
Local time: 17:32
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yes, you passed! Sep 7, 2017

Hi, DJHartmann

You can pop your bottle of champagne, I am sure. Congratulations!! My naatti online page (I was accredited a few years ago) has similar information to the screenshot you posted.

It is just that online update is quicker than NAATI officers letters (or it might be in the post already). You might want to give them a call to remove any doubt you might still have.

Jimmy Deng

DJHartmann wrote:
I'm waiting to pop this bottle of champagne!!!

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
"We're not able to give results over the phone" Sep 7, 2017

Auckland Translations Ltd wrote:

You might want to give them a call to remove any doubt you might still have.

She wasn't able to tell me anything, but finished the conversation saying "the website is very informative isn't it!"

hahaha!

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Congratulations, DJ! Sep 7, 2017

Ain't... Oops! Don't they really care about their winners 'properly'?

By the way, what was the purpose--for accreditation, for self-esteem, for dedicated clients or something--and what about your price policy now--any compensation?

Cheers

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Work Sep 7, 2017

DZiW wrote:

By the way, what was the purpose--for accreditation, for self-esteem, for dedicated clients or something--and what about your price policy now--any compensation?

Cheers

Self-esteem? That'd be funny to pay hundreds of dollars just for a bit of self-esteem and risk being one of the 90% who fail this accreditation exam!

In Australia, the only way to translate for any client, anyone, any agencies, or the government is to have NAATI accreditation.

Price-wise, those with NAATI accreditation charge more than 3x my highest rate.

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
Congratulations Sep 7, 2017

This where you start coughing up more money to NAATI. You will have the pleasure of ordering a stamp every three years.

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Tax write-off Sep 7, 2017

QUOI wrote:

This where you start coughing up more money to NAATI. You will have the pleasure of ordering a stamp every three years.

Haha well, at least I now have things to claim on my tax-return other than internet bills and paper.

The professional development for re-certification also looks promising.

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
I passed :) Sep 8, 2017

I suppose those waiting on their results can use the same trick. If 8 weeks have passed, log in to NAATI online and if you can buy the certificates/stamps, it's a pretty good indication that' you've passed

Screen_Shot_2017_09_08_at_2_32_30_pm

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 08:32
German to English
+ ...
Cheers Sep 8, 2017

and congratulations! Well done.

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 15:32
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Congratulations, DJ! Sep 8, 2017

Well done!

Guofei_LIN
Guofei_LIN  Identity Verified
Australia
Chinese
Congratulations! Sep 8, 2017

The exact same situation happened to me, that is, the online information appeared before the letter arrived.
With my language pair, there's a lot of competition, so I have not seen any price premium or any boost to my business with the NAATI accreditation. But I'm sure you will be able to charge higher price because not many native speakers of English have accreditation in a language pair that involves an Asian language, the competition wouldn't be as cut-throat as in my case. Best wishes
... See more
The exact same situation happened to me, that is, the online information appeared before the letter arrived.
With my language pair, there's a lot of competition, so I have not seen any price premium or any boost to my business with the NAATI accreditation. But I'm sure you will be able to charge higher price because not many native speakers of English have accreditation in a language pair that involves an Asian language, the competition wouldn't be as cut-throat as in my case. Best wishes!
Collapse

Natasha Ziada (X)
Natasha Ziada (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
English to Dutch
+ ...
Congratulations Sep 8, 2017

... and thanks for the tip! I took my NAATI test 2 weeks ago, fingers crossed!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Anna Herbst[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

So, did I pass NAATI, am I accredited now?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »