Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Possible scammer emailing via [email protected], with Proz.com profile @ proz.com/profile/2541908
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:27
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How this scam works (as far as I can tell) May 3, 2018

This scam isn't about trying to get us to translate stuff and not paying us, but rather about trying to get unsuspecting translators to enter their email credentials in the various (Google, Outlook, Yahoo, etc.) document download pages for downloading the documents they are offering for translation.

Michael

Andrew Cull
Andrew Cull  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to English
Same email May 3, 2018

Hi everyone,

I'm glad I thought to check here, as I had the same concerns about the email and the link provided.
It looks like they've just sent the same email to a bunch of us, hoping that they'll get a few bites.

BLS LTD
BLS LTD
United Kingdom
English to Welsh
+ ...
Same scam email May 3, 2018

Hi All,

I also received this at 19:19 GMT. It seemed a little suspicious, so I asked for more details. I was then sent the following email (all links disabled):

You have received an incoming docs shared with you via Dropbox. Click here to view attachment.

You may have a limited time to view the documents.

Dropbox, Inc., PO Box 77767, San Francisco, CA 94107

... See more
Hi All,

I also received this at 19:19 GMT. It seemed a little suspicious, so I asked for more details. I was then sent the following email (all links disabled):

You have received an incoming docs shared with you via Dropbox. Click here to view attachment.

You may have a limited time to view the documents.

Dropbox, Inc., PO Box 77767, San Francisco, CA 94107

Clearly, as the above users have correctly identified, this is very suspicious and leads to an unsafe site. I am staying clear of this request from [email protected]. User details appear as:
Sender's profile: http://proz.com/profile/2541908 Sender's IP address: 88.166.133.174

Apologies for any duplication to previous entries; it just seemed important to add weight to this 'scam' email.
Collapse

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:27
English to Czech
+ ...
What would be the point of this? May 3, 2018

Michael Beijer wrote:

This scam isn't about trying to get us to translate stuff and not paying us, but rather about trying to get unsuspecting translators to enter their email credentials in the various (Google, Outlook, Yahoo, etc.) document download pages for downloading the documents they are offering for translation.

Michael

What would be the point of this?
(Sorry, I'm not very experienced with these online docs services.)

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
I wonder May 4, 2018

I wonder why the contents of my email were different...but still fishy, so binned. Surely support staff need to look into this . Do you suppose it is a fake profile-and a member to boot? Thank you warning us though

[Edited at 2018-05-04 10:41 GMT]

Anne Greaves
Anne Greaves  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
And me May 4, 2018

Just got the same email. Thanks for flagging it up.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Proz.com support has now blocked them from the site! May 4, 2018

(hope no one entered their email passwords in the fake forms...)

Elena Pala
Elena Pala  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
Received same email May 4, 2018

Thanks for flagging! I also thought it was very weird, replied asking for more info but have since marked the sender as spam so hopefully that's the last I'll hear of it.

Thanks again!

E.

Evelyn Dench
Evelyn Dench  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
Scammers May 5, 2018

Thanks for letting us know, this is indeed a scam.

This is the real restaurant's website: http://www.legacyrestaurant.com/
And here is our scammer's fake version: http://legacymgt.net/

Mariusz Kuklinski
Mariusz Kuklinski  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
Me too May 5, 2018

I received exactly the same e-mail on 3rd May. There was no response when I replied asking "Holly" to send the file in question so that I would be able to have a look at it. What worries me is that "Holly" is attaching link to a Proz profile:

This message was sent to you via the ProZ.com directory.
Sender: Holly Ader
Sender's profile: http://proz.com/profile/2541908
Sender's
... See more
I received exactly the same e-mail on 3rd May. There was no response when I replied asking "Holly" to send the file in question so that I would be able to have a look at it. What worries me is that "Holly" is attaching link to a Proz profile:

Sender: Holly Ader
Sender's profile: http://proz.com/profile/2541908
Sender's IP address: 213.245.55.181

On checking the profle, it turns out, however, that it is non-existent.
Who is look-up says that the IP address is invalid too.

Mariusz Kuklinski
Collapse

Charlotte Sekour
Charlotte Sekour
Malta
English to French
Holly Ader May 7, 2018

Thanks for this thread, I also received on 3rd May and did ask for more information.
Today her answer was specifically targeted at my profile as I live in Malta! She wrote:

"My family and I intend to relocate to Valleta in a few weeks.
We require someone who is based in Malta to assist us during this transition and we are willing to pay for the service rendered.
The tasks I suppose can be handled remotely,hence you do not have to be physically present in Valleta.... See more
Thanks for this thread, I also received on 3rd May and did ask for more information.
Today her answer was specifically targeted at my profile as I live in Malta! She wrote:

"My family and I intend to relocate to Valleta in a few weeks.
We require someone who is based in Malta to assist us during this transition and we are willing to pay for the service rendered.
The tasks I suppose can be handled remotely,hence you do not have to be physically present in Valleta.
If you are interested in assisting us, please respond to this email and we can discuss further with additional information."

When I clicked on her ProZ profile, it said member did not exist anymore, which confirmed my suspicions... Luckily I wasn't prompted to click on any link yet.
Collapse

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Follow up-at it again May 9, 2018

Here is what I received just now. can support staff block this user and see to new members please?
Malta contd
Jeff Adler
Today, 4:09 PM
ProZ.com Member ([email protected])
Hello,

My wife Holly, contacted you last week for a virtual assistant
position.
Her email account has had some technical issues which is yet to be
resolved, hence my reason for contacting you.
Please respond to this email to continue the conversation.
... See more
Here is what I received just now. can support staff block this user and see to new members please?
Malta contd
Jeff Adler
Today, 4:09 PM
ProZ.com Member ([email protected])
Hello,

My wife Holly, contacted you last week for a virtual assistant
position.
Her email account has had some technical issues which is yet to be
resolved, hence my reason for contacting you.
Please respond to this email to continue the conversation.

Kind regards,

Jeff.

----------------------------------------
Sender: ELIZABETH SYKES
Sender's profile: http://proz.com/profile/2544671
Sender's IP address: 23.246.75.106
To adjust your ProZ.com email preferences, visit this page:
http://proz.com/?sp=ef
For technical assistance, please submit a support request:
http://proz.com/support
----------------------------------------
Thank you. Just wanted to warn everybody they are at it again. Do they get a kick out of seeing us post here I wonder?
Collapse

Miriam Muscat
Miriam Muscat  Identity Verified
Malta
Italian to English
+ ...
Receipt of same scam messages from Holly and Jeff Adler May 9, 2018

I can confirm I also received the 2 messages quoted by charlotteman and josephine cassar wherein Holly said they needed a virtual assistant and Jeff said her email couldn't be used. Thanks for sharing this. I might have swallowed the bait!

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Thank you ... May 9, 2018

... for the warning. I might have taken the bait if I hadn't seen this thread just in time.

Orsetta Spinola
Orsetta Spinola  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2006)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
to Maltese residents May 10, 2018

I have received the same request as Josephine, Charlotteman and Gozotranslate, and made myself available, despite with some suspicion.
I don't really understand the scam, in our case: apparently, none of us has been asked to download/click anything.
What would the scam involve, I don't really know...
I might be too naive, but if anyone has spare time to waste explaining me what could they make with our email replies, I will be very thankful...
See more
I have received the same request as Josephine, Charlotteman and Gozotranslate, and made myself available, despite with some suspicion.
I don't really understand the scam, in our case: apparently, none of us has been asked to download/click anything.
What would the scam involve, I don't really know...
I might be too naive, but if anyone has spare time to waste explaining me what could they make with our email replies, I will be very thankful
Have a lovely day,
O.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible scammer emailing via [email protected], with Proz.com profile @ proz.com/profile/2541908

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »