TargamaT team
TargamaT team  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:21
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Nov 26, 2023

I am really unhappy with Memoq Fuzzy Matches that do not match at all!

I was surprised that "subscription" matches with "description" at 69%, "Inherent Materiality" matches with "Building Materials" at 62%... This represents a 30% loss for my turnover.

I did not investigate if Trados has the same issue and I would to know if this feature is configurable.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Useless matches Nov 26, 2023

A fuzzy match is only a calculation, and there is no obligation to use them if translating from scratch takes less time.
Matches below 75% concordance are widely viewed as irrelevant in most languages, even by the meanest agencies. Therefore agencies that apply a matrix with discounts on 50-74% are crooks.
Other agencies don't consider a match below 85% as a useful match (i.e. saving time, i.e. worth a discount).

Philippe

Edit: To lower your earnings
... See more
A fuzzy match is only a calculation, and there is no obligation to use them if translating from scratch takes less time.
Matches below 75% concordance are widely viewed as irrelevant in most languages, even by the meanest agencies. Therefore agencies that apply a matrix with discounts on 50-74% are crooks.
Other agencies don't consider a match below 85% as a useful match (i.e. saving time, i.e. worth a discount).

Philippe

Edit: To lower your earnings even more, mean agencies can apply other options and features on top of their unsustainable discount grids, possibly in Tools>Options (lookup settings...) and in the Statistics window (homogeneity, tag penalties...). Then, even with a decent "full rate", you end up with a poor hourly rate because the weighted wordcount no longer reflects at all the effort needed with all differents cuts made.

[Edited at 2023-11-26 11:08 GMT]
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:21
French to English
Not just an earnings issue Nov 26, 2023

I use memoQ statistics to gauge how much work I have left to do.
Thinking, as seems reasonable, that with luck, a 70% match won't need as much work as a no-match segment.

But in recent months (years?), it seems memoQ counts almost any "[noun] de [noun]" in French as a pretty high match for any other "[noun] de [noun]" - this is an example I keep seeing, that I do not recall as being much of an issue way back.

I nearly posted about it myself, wondering if it is my
... See more
I use memoQ statistics to gauge how much work I have left to do.
Thinking, as seems reasonable, that with luck, a 70% match won't need as much work as a no-match segment.

But in recent months (years?), it seems memoQ counts almost any "[noun] de [noun]" in French as a pretty high match for any other "[noun] de [noun]" - this is an example I keep seeing, that I do not recall as being much of an issue way back.

I nearly posted about it myself, wondering if it is my settings (I more or less use memoQ as it comes, out of the box, I think), hence the OP attracted my attention.
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 02:21
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Nov 27, 2023

[Edited at 2023-11-27 14:50 GMT]

Rita Translator
Rita Translator  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Submit a ticket Nov 27, 2023

Tell memoQ support about the issue and ask if they have any suggestions for adjusting your settings so that doesn't happen.

If it's being imposed on you by an agency, I'd talk to the PM. If they don't see the problem with it, time to get rid of that agency if you can afford to.

FWIW, I have not noticed that issue with German as a source language.

Dr. Matthias Schauen
Dr. Matthias Schauen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
Nothing new, sadly. Matches under 75% are often irrelevant, but may also be highly relevant Nov 27, 2023

Here are some "hits" from an EN-DE collection I compiled in 2015/2016 while working with the then-current memoQ version, corroborating your experience and what Philippe and Charlie wrote:

"Meta-analysis (2)" was a 73% TM match for "2".
"Effector T cell" was a 65% match for "T:".
"System Organ Class" was a 65% match for "System".
"Round window" was a 69% match for "Ground".

Conversely, "Response Evaluation Criteria in Solid Tumors (RECIST) guideline
... See more
Here are some "hits" from an EN-DE collection I compiled in 2015/2016 while working with the then-current memoQ version, corroborating your experience and what Philippe and Charlie wrote:

"Meta-analysis (2)" was a 73% TM match for "2".
"Effector T cell" was a 65% match for "T:".
"System Organ Class" was a 65% match for "System".
"Round window" was a 69% match for "Ground".

Conversely, "Response Evaluation Criteria in Solid Tumors (RECIST) guidelines" was only a 75% match for "Response Evaluation Criteria in Solid Tumours (RECIST) guidelines" (in a different font).
"Pre-amplification primer mix (white)" was only a 54% match for "Preamplification primer mix (white)".
And the German "Unsere Methode/Techniken" had a match rate of under 50% for "Unsere Methoden / Techniken".

So what I would suggest is:
1. Generally do not offer any discounts for match rates under 85%, and never give any discounts for match rates under 75%.
2. Set the minimum match threshold in memoQ as low as 50% to catch TM hits that are in fact very similar, but do not waste any thoughts/surprise/anger on the many totally irrelevant TM hits you will also see then.

(I remember that I had similar problems when I used to work with Trados.)

[Edited at 2023-11-27 11:01 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-11-27 11:04 GMT]
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Rita Translator

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:21
English to Russian
Pros and cons Nov 27, 2023

Weirdly, I have a TM that behaves in a different way. I can't explain that. They all (7 TMs) have the same settings. Some of them even have the same month and year of creation. But only one of them behaves as expected (TM2) unlike others (TM1 and other).

[Edited at 2023-11-27
... See more
Weirdly, I have a TM that behaves in a different way. I can't explain that. They all (7 TMs) have the same settings. Some of them even have the same month and year of creation. But only one of them behaves as expected (TM2) unlike others (TM1 and other).

[Edited at 2023-11-27 21:37 GMT]
Collapse

TargamaT team
TargamaT team  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Nov 27, 2023

Actually, I was not aware that < 70% matches does not mean that it is really a match.

In most cases, you will not notice it in 5k words file. But when you work with larger files you will notice it.

The issue is that I was working on the client's server and I started to notice this issue as it becames frequent.

I appreciate your feedback, especially since you are working with Latin-related languages. You can imagine that when working with English/French/Germ
... See more
Actually, I was not aware that < 70% matches does not mean that it is really a match.

In most cases, you will not notice it in 5k words file. But when you work with larger files you will notice it.

The issue is that I was working on the client's server and I started to notice this issue as it becames frequent.

I appreciate your feedback, especially since you are working with Latin-related languages. You can imagine that when working with English/French/German-Arabic combinations the issue is more evident.

I will be very vigilant and will not consider less than 85% as matches!

All the best!

[Edited at 2023-11-28 18:29 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:21
Danish to English
+ ...
Letters Dec 16, 2023

Only now did the memoQ email doomsday machine notify me of this topic.

For short strings, memoQ considers characters instead of words, which would explain the described behaviour. I generally don't give discounts below 75%.

Katherine Mérignac
Katherine Mérignac  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
Hopeless below 70% Dec 17, 2023

As above, I always bin anything below a 70% match too, and certainly don't offer discounts for them...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Memoq Fuzzy Matches that do not match!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »