memoQ can process Transit and SDL Studio projects?
Thread poster: Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 03:10
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jan 19, 2013

I just noticed two interesting import links on my memoQ 6.2 interface:
- "Import Transit package"; and
- "Import SDL Studio package".

Does this mean that I can start accepting Transit and SDL Studio projects and process them without any problems in memoQ?

Just want to check before I go on to accept such proejcts.

Thomas

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:10
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Indeed! Jan 19, 2013

You might want to see Kilgray's latest webinars about 6.2.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:10
German to English
Try one out if possible Jan 19, 2013

I've recently discovered that recent versions of memoQ have a great deal of difficulty exporting usable Trados ttx projects. The projects export OK (that is, they export), but importing them into SDL Studio 11 is problematical. I dislike working in any SDL product, so the workaround is quite awkward: I segment using TTX-it, translate in memoQ, export the TM to Trados Studio, then retranslate the file In Studio (which takes little time, as it's all 100% matches). The final product can then be rea... See more
I've recently discovered that recent versions of memoQ have a great deal of difficulty exporting usable Trados ttx projects. The projects export OK (that is, they export), but importing them into SDL Studio 11 is problematical. I dislike working in any SDL product, so the workaround is quite awkward: I segment using TTX-it, translate in memoQ, export the TM to Trados Studio, then retranslate the file In Studio (which takes little time, as it's all 100% matches). The final product can then be read by my client.

Things worked OK until version 6 of memoQ. The developers at Kilgray seem to have forgotten that interoperability was one of their big selling points.

My suggestion is to contact a colleague you know well, offer an NDA for test purposes and see whether you can import/export a Studio project that can be imported into Studio. A small dummy project should suffice. I can't address the Transit issue, as I haven't attempted one.
Collapse

trhanslator (X)
trhanslator (X)
Processing Transit and Studio projects in mQ: Who does the QA Jan 20, 2013

You can accept both types of projects but you'll have to make arrangements with your client about who performs the Quality Assurance in the native CAT tools. E.g. for doing the tag verifying in Studio 2011 ... you'll need Studio.

TheAlphaSens (X)
TheAlphaSens (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:10
English to French
TTX/XLIFF Jan 20, 2013

@Kevin Fulton
If I'm not mistaken, the TTX issue has been fixed in 6.2.

Anyhow, if my client is using Trados (2007/2011), I usually send them XLIFF and not TTX.

> Export bilingual
> memoQ XLIFF (untick all 3 boxes)
> rename the file extension as .xliff

(2007/2011 don't have any difficulty importing XLIFF - I've never had any complaints so far anyway).

Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 03:10
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados with memoQ? Jan 20, 2013

TheAlphaSense wrote:

@Kevin Fulton
If I'm not mistaken, the TTX issue has been fixed in 6.2.

Anyhow, if my client is using Trados (2007/2011), I usually send them XLIFF and not TTX.

Does this mean I can process Trados projects as well with memoQ 6.2? Sometimes job posters require Trados, Trados 2007, Trados 2011 etc. - can I do such projects with memoQ?

Thomas

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

memoQ can process Transit and SDL Studio projects?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »