Thread poster: Elena Pavan
RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:11
English
On your comments... Oct 26, 2012

Loek van Kooten wrote:

Not too many months ago, a client of mine who had just bought Trados was forced to switch to MemoQ after Trados Support told him that defining segmentation with RegEx was *not* possible, or at least not to the extent he wanted.

Is it possible something changed since then?

I doubt anything has changed... but hard to comment on anything without seeing it. Certainly the segmentation is quite flexible using regex or with the basic stuff you can set without regex. I'd be very happy to look at the example for interest if you can get it?

Loek van Kooten wrote:

The SQL was a great feature, but unfortunately the database tables were so illogical and complex that in practise, you had to write to Support for every single query you needed.

Real men need support? Let's be honest... even with regex most users need support and you only need to look at the memoQ yahoo forum which is much busier than this one to see how often this happens. I think most translators, who would definitely benefit from learning a little about the black art of regex for use in lots of tools, don't want to and also don't think they should have to. They are generally wordsmiths and not technical gurus.

Loek van Kooten wrote:

Also, can Trados change stuff to tags *after* document import, i.e. on-the-fly?

Nope. This is a neat feature. Studio isn't a database so you are always working on the bilingual file itself after it's been prepared. This is where the open document command has it's greatest strength because you use one shortcut to open the file applying any changes you wanted to get what you need. However, the memoQ regex tagger to apply tags to any filetype (I believe) after your project is already created is very cool. Probably too cool for real men

Regards

Paul

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:11
German to English
Right tools for the job Oct 26, 2012

People feel the same way about their translation tools as they do about their religion or political party. Theirs is the best, others are deficient. I've been a CAT tool user since 1998. I use SDL Studio 7, also version 11 (whatever the official name is), memoQ 6.x and DVX2. Each program has its strength and weaknesses.

SDL MultiTerm is great for managing giant complex multilingual databases; for corporate use it's probably the best possible tool. However, for single-shingle transl
... See more
People feel the same way about their translation tools as they do about their religion or political party. Theirs is the best, others are deficient. I've been a CAT tool user since 1998. I use SDL Studio 7, also version 11 (whatever the official name is), memoQ 6.x and DVX2. Each program has its strength and weaknesses.

SDL MultiTerm is great for managing giant complex multilingual databases; for corporate use it's probably the best possible tool. However, for single-shingle translators who work in only one or two language pairs, it's like using a jackhammer to drill a hole in the wall to hang a picture. Setting up and using terminology databases is much simpler in both DVX2 and MemoQ. However, MemoQ does not have a separate utility to edit a database or translation memory.

To avoid awkward workarounds, I try to use the program specified by the customer (and turn down projects requiring Across or Transit). If the client doesn't specify, I tend to use MemoQ more often than DVX2, although in my opinion the latter program works better with pdf files created from MS Office programs as well as XML files.

If you have a client that requires MemoQ and will provide a reasonable amount of work, then I would suggest buying the program (or any other CAT tool required by a good client). Translators need to develop business sense. The purchase of a CAT tool is a long term investment; many translators see it as a high short-term expense. The short-term yield is low -- it can easily take a year before you can realize productivity gains. But over the long haul, buying a second or third (or even fourth) tool can pay off.
Collapse

XX789 (X)
XX789 (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Paul Oct 26, 2012

I probably won't be able to lay my hands on the exact files he was working on, as that was all confidential stuff. I do think though he will tear his hair out when he hears that what he wanted was possible after all. But you're right... I don't have enough details, so I should drop this.

There's a difference between support for RegEx and support for SQL by the way... RegEx is something you can learn and which works the same in every software supporting it. The SQL in DVX however was
... See more
I probably won't be able to lay my hands on the exact files he was working on, as that was all confidential stuff. I do think though he will tear his hair out when he hears that what he wanted was possible after all. But you're right... I don't have enough details, so I should drop this.

There's a difference between support for RegEx and support for SQL by the way... RegEx is something you can learn and which works the same in every software supporting it. The SQL in DVX however was DVX-specific and since Atril was very secretive about their database format, it was simply impossible to come up with new SQL queries yourself, no matter how good you were.

Translators should learn a bit of RegEx though... it saves me thousands of euros per year, because it enables me to come up with smarter segmentation than my clients and hence, more matches. On the other hand, we don't want RegEx to become too succesful... if the clients become too smart, the gurus will lose money on them

Anyway, I stand partially corrected and I apologize. MemoQ still has features Trados doesn't have and which I find very important, but it seems the situation is not as grave as I thought. That said, many translators still bear a strong grudge towards SDL for the way they marketed their product to translation agencies: use our product to screw your translators, you basically said. That still leads to a bit of animosity.
Collapse

XX789 (X)
XX789 (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Auto-translate Oct 26, 2012

P.S. The RegEx for Auto-Translate in MemoQ is great for automatically translating dates using Imperial Years in Japanese

[Edited at 2012-10-26 17:14 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:11
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@FarkasAndras: Oct 27, 2012

FarkasAndras wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

You would be surprised at how many translators buy Studio only to then wonder why they can't figure out how to add words to the glossary or do anything even remotely complicated in terms of glossary management. One very real reason to get memoQ instead of Studio is ... MultiTerm.

In memoQ, your term base is built right into your CAT tool – where it belongs.

Michael

I don't understand this post. MT is in Studio. There's also a standalone MT desktop software, but you don't need that when you're translating in Studio. It's for when you want to look up terms or manage termbases outside of Studio.

Adding a term to MT in Studio involves (after creating a termbase and adding it to the project):
- Selecting the source language term and the target language term in the editor
- Pressing the "add term" keyboard shortcut, which you can set in Tools/Options/Keyboard Shortcuts
- Saving the term and closing the term editing window

Do you mean that users are unable to figure this out? If they are, they are going to have problems with any CAT tool.

Now, importing term lists into glossaries is another matter. MultiTerm Convert is an inexcusable mess. Now there's some progress on that with an OpenExchange app that offers a simplified process but it's hardly a full solution.

Hi FarkasAndras,

Sorry, I was under the impression that MT was still a separate program. I should have checked before posting.

I suppose what I am basing my previous statement on is the fact that I keep getting requests from new Studio users asking me how to use term bases in Studio. You're right though, these are usually people who are not exactly tech savvy. And, yes, as you mentioned yourself, when it comes to importing simple glossaries (tab-delimited UTF-8 text files), Studio isn't exactly user friendly. I think most not too technical people would be much better off just using memoQ.

Michael

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Is drag and drop user friendly enough Oct 27, 2012

Michael Beijer wrote:
And, yes, as you mentioned yourself, when it comes to importing simple glossaries (tab-delimited UTF-8 text files), Studio isn't exactly user friendly.

Is drag and drop user friendly enough for you?

Glossary Converter
This tool makes it a little easier by converting spread sheet glossaries to termbases and vice versa with minimal user interaction. You just drag and drop an Excel file (csv, xls or xlsx) on the program icon, and it creates a termbase by the same name; it's equally as easy to convert a termbase back to a spread sheet.
http://www.translationzone.com/en/openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=303

I should have checked before posting.

Yes, you should have.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
MQ vs Studio Oct 28, 2012

Michael Beijer wrote:
I think most not too technical people would be much better off just using memoQ.

I tend to agree. But those who ara able and willing to deal with the UI quirks of Studio are better off with Studio in my opinion.
And it actually wouldn't take too much work for SDL to fix the most atrocious things about the UI, and then one could recommend Studio to non-tech-savvy people without qualms. Based on past experience, it may well be a very long wait.

[Edited at 2012-10-28 12:18 GMT]

Maya Gorgoshidze
Maya Gorgoshidze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 12:11
Member (2004)
English to Georgian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hello everybody, Oct 29, 2012

Thank you for participation in this interesting topic, but the thread is strayed out from its original posting and the new comments became more personal then helpful. So I have to lock it.

Thanks for your understanding and kind regards,
Maya

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ vs. Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »