To space or not to space
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch
David Moore (X)
David Moore (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:17
German to English
+ ...
To space or not.... Aug 7, 2004

And for many other - well, practically all - aspects of writing European English (British English?), anyone here might care to cast a glance at the "English style guide" at

http://europa.eu.int/comm/translation/writing/style_guides/english/frame_index_en.htm

God luck, y'all....

David Moore

Walter Lockhart Ries (X)
Walter Lockhart Ries (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
English authorities Aug 8, 2004

The authority for American English is The Chicago Manual of Style and for UK English, Oxford Style Manual.

Walter

Rolf Kern
Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Never in German! Aug 17, 2004

I translate a lot from French into German, and there ist always a space before !, ?, : etc., which I throw out alltogether. I guess that in the French Version of Microsoft Word this space is put in automatically.

Cybele1996
Cybele1996
Local time: 10:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not in English Sep 4, 2004

There should be no space after exclamation marks in English texts.

Mel.

Hirschmann (X)
Hirschmann (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
No spaces before or after punctuation marks in German! Oct 4, 2004

Sarah Downing wrote:

I've often seen extra spaces in German - within brackets (at the beginning and end of the bracket) and before colons. When translating the text into English, I always take out the spaces.

Good luck!

Sarah

Although some people type a space before and/or after a punctuation mark in German texts, this is incorrect. This mistake is very often found as a space before and after a dash, e.g., like in "EUR 27,00 / m2".

[Edited at 2004-10-04 10:32]

Hirschmann (X)
Hirschmann (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Space between number and unit of measure is correct Oct 4, 2004

Charlotte Blank wrote:

I've often seen a space between the number and % in English - is this correct? I always take them off in German (where you definitely don't use them) but it would be interesting to know how this is handled in other languages.

BTW, Heinrich, it seems that this is NOT a minor issue;)

Happy week-end,

Charlotte

[Edited at 2004-07-19 09:07]

In all languages, there should always be inserted a (non-breaking) space between a number and the unit of measure.

I've found the following in the Internet:

Using SI Units of Measure
3. Use one space between the quantity prefix and the unit of measure with the exception of symbols for plane angle expressions of degree, minute and second:

EXAMPLE
: 36 mm; 847 kg; 133 MHz; 5 A

EXAMPLE
: 39.85°11´2´

[Edited at 2004-10-04 10:46]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

To space or not to space

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »