Inițiatorul discuției: Ana Belén Cruz Sánchez
Ana Belén Cruz Sánchez
Ana Belén Cruz Sánchez  Identity Verified
Regatul Unit
din engleză în spaniolă
+ ...
Jun 28, 2017

Hello,

I have just moved to Glasgow and I have started the process to register as self-employed. I have already received my UTR number but I still have to register with the Government Gateway.

Can I start to send invoices now that I have my UTR or do I need to wait until I have been register also in the Government Gateway?

Do I have to put the UTR number on my invoices?

Thank you in advance

Samantha Payn
Samantha Payn  Identity Verified
Regatul Unit
Local time: 07:11
Membru (2008)
din rusă în engleză
+ ...
My experience Jun 29, 2017

There is no need to put your UTR on your invoices (at least I never have).
You can start sending out your invoices now - just make sure all your income is recorded on your tax return.
Hope this helps.
(I am not a tax inspector nor have I ever played one on TV!! )

Tom in London
Tom in London
Regatul Unit
Membru (2008)
din italiană în engleză
I would go further Jun 29, 2017

Samantha Payn wrote:

There is no need to put your UTR on your invoices (at least I never have).
You can start sending out your invoices now - just make sure all your income is recorded on your tax return.
Hope this helps.
(I am not a tax inspector nor have I ever played one on TV!! )

I'm not a tax inspector either. I would go further than Samantha: you should NOT put your UTR on your invoices. Your UTR is personal to you.

As Samantha says - you can start invoicing immediately without waiting to get all of your affairs in order. Fortunately we are only one-third of the way into the Tax Year (05 April 2017 - 05 April 2018) so you have plenty to time to get yourself organised.

Ana Belén Cruz Sánchez
Ana Belén Cruz Sánchez  Identity Verified
Regatul Unit
din engleză în spaniolă
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
UTR and invoices Jun 29, 2017

Thank you very much to both of you for your help! I was worried about how to proceed. Thank you sooooooooooooo much!!

Wojciech Szczerek
Wojciech Szczerek  Identity Verified
Regatul Unit
din engleză în poloneză
+ ...
UTR Aug 8, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

I'm not a tax inspector either. I would go further than Samantha: you should NOT put your UTR on your invoices. Your UTR is personal to you.

I never knew that, thanks Tom. I've been putting it on all my invoices. Most probably because for me as a self-employed translator, there is no other form of registration of my "company". Recently, I registered with one of the online directories for freelancers and outsourcers. I was asked for a proof that I am a company registered in the UK... and the only thing I could provide is the UTR.

But going back to your question, Ana - same advice here, the most important thing for you as a sole-trader is to register your income at the end of the tax year.

Tom in London
Tom in London
Regatul Unit
Membru (2008)
din italiană în engleză
Registration Aug 8, 2017

Ana Belén Cruz Sánchez wrote:

Thank you very much to both of you for your help! I was worried about how to proceed. Thank you sooooooooooooo much!!

If you are registered for self-assessment with HMRC you should be able to log in here:

https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-tax-returns

After 05 April 2018, when you log in, you will find your Tax Return ready to be filled in.

Pentru acest forum nu a fost numit niciun moderator.
Pentru a raporta încălcarea regulilor site-ului sau pentru a solicita asistență, vă rugăm să contactați personalul site-ului »

UTR and invoices

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »