Inițiatorul discuției: Jessie LN
Jessie LN
Jessie LN  Identity Verified
Regatul Unit
Local time: 22:41
din spaniolă în engleză
+ ...
Dec 12, 2012

I'm hoping to start freelancing on a part-time basis. I've been looking into registering as self-employed with HMRC and have gone through the first part of their e-learning course for starting a business.

It states that you must register your new business with them within 6 months of the end of the current tax year, which would be 5 October 2012 for this year.

Obviously, I have missed this date. Does this mean that I now have to wait until April 2013 (i.e. the start of
... See more
I'm hoping to start freelancing on a part-time basis. I've been looking into registering as self-employed with HMRC and have gone through the first part of their e-learning course for starting a business.

It states that you must register your new business with them within 6 months of the end of the current tax year, which would be 5 October 2012 for this year.

Obviously, I have missed this date. Does this mean that I now have to wait until April 2013 (i.e. the start of the next tax year) to register and even start seriously seeking clients?

Just thought I would ask around here before phoning them up, as I can foresee having to go through sixty different menus and having to hold the line for an indeterminate amount of time...

Thanks for your help!

[Edited at 2012-12-12 09:56 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
Regatul Unit
Membru (2006)
din engleză în germană
+ ...
Register by 5 Oct AFTER the end of the tax year Dec 12, 2012

Hi Jessie,

As I understand it you need to register by 5 October 2013 if you start freelancing now. (Obviously, it's probably best to register right now but you have until 5 October after the end of the tax year in which you took up freelancing.

That's what it says on the HMRC website:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/register.htm#2

The latest you should register is by 5 October after the end of the tax year for which you need a tax return. The tax year runs from 6 April one year to 5 April the next.

[Edited at 2012-12-12 10:15 GMT]

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
Regatul Unit
din portugheză în engleză
+ ...
Baffled Dec 12, 2012

Jessie L. wrote:

I'm not sure what they mean. Becoming self-employed in the UK couldn't be simpler. You just notify HMRC and they'll send you notification of the NI contributions to be made. I don't recall any mention of deadlines or any other restrictions whatsoever.

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
Regatul Unit
din suedeză în engleză
+ ...
After year you started Dec 12, 2012

Jessie L. wrote:

"The latest you should register is by 5 October after the end of the tax year for which you need a tax return."

If you started you business during 2011-2012 and need to complete a tax return for that tax year, you should have registered no later than 5 Oct 2012.

If you are starting your business this tax year, 2012-2013, you need to register for self assessment no later than 5 Oct 2013.

Don't forget that you also have to register for NI no later than 3 months after the end of the month you started trading.

[Edited at 2012-12-12 10:14 GMT]

Jessie LN
Jessie LN  Identity Verified
Regatul Unit
din spaniolă în engleză
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
thank you Dec 12, 2012

Thank you for your replies and the information.

This is what it says in the e-learning portal:
You must tell HMRC within six months of the end of the tax year in which you start self-employment.

You must therefore register by 5 October.

Which makes me think it's 6 months before the end of the tax year, but I suppose I've misinterpreted it and it actually means 6 months after! Argh! Great start for a trans
... See more
Thank you for your replies and the information.

This is what it says in the e-learning portal:
You must tell HMRC within six months of the end of the tax year in which you start self-employment.

You must therefore register by 5 October.

Which makes me think it's 6 months before the end of the tax year, but I suppose I've misinterpreted it and it actually means 6 months after! Argh! Great start for a translator, eh?!

[Edited at 2012-12-12 10:33 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-12-12 10:34 GMT]
Collapse

Maryline David
Maryline David  Identity Verified
din engleză în franceză
+ ...
Registration with HMRC is extra-easy Dec 12, 2012

Hi Jessie,

It is definitely after.

In fact, just a quick call to the HMRC self-employment helpline (0845 915 4515) will confirm that (generally very helpful, and the wait is often surprisingly short - at least when I call).

All the best in your new career

Pentru acest forum nu a fost numit niciun moderator.
Pentru a raporta încălcarea regulilor site-ului sau pentru a solicita asistență, vă rugăm să contactați personalul site-ului »

HMRC self-employment registration time frame

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »