Inițiatorul discuției: Annika Hedqvist
Annika Hedqvist
Annika Hedqvist  Identity Verified
Suedia
Local time: 11:37
Membru (2008)
din engleză în suedeză
+ ...
Aug 25

Making this post just because I can't see that anyone else has mentioned this yet:

I received a rather professional looking email from [email protected] This is a scam. The correct site is .COM, not .ORG.

ECW Press is a legitimate company, but somebody is posing as them. Don't fall for it.

These scams seem to be getting more and more sophisticated and professional looking, unfortunately.


Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis
Lida Garcia
Daryo
Thayenga
Maria Laura Curzi
Christopher Ruppenthal
 
Joao Correia
Joao Correia  Identity Verified
Portugalia
Local time: 10:37
Utilizator
din engleză în portugheză
+ ...
I just posted about this Aug 30

Yes, got the same email. I contacted the real ECW and it's a scam.

Ines Cunha Jorge
 
Maria Giovanna Polito
Maria Giovanna Polito  Identity Verified
Italia
Local time: 11:37
Membru (2009)
din franceză în italiană
+ ...
Thank you Sep 3

Thank you very much for reporting this. I didn't notice the difference.

 
Helene Carrasco-Nabih
Helene Carrasco-Nabih  Identity Verified
Maroc
Local time: 10:37
Membru (2018)
din germană în franceză
+ ...
LOCALIZARE SITE
ECW Press: scam, yes indeed! Sep 4

Hello,

I received a very professional looking message from Emily ferko, Project Coordinator, Ecw press, Toronto, Ontario ✉️ [email protected] - www.proz.com/next/profile/4737152<
... See more
Hello,

I received a very professional looking message from Emily ferko, Project Coordinator, Ecw press, Toronto, Ontario ✉️ [email protected] - www.proz.com/next/profile/4737152
🌐 www.ecwpress.com

First point: www.proz.com/next/profile/4737152: profile not found.

Second point: very good (but not improbable) payment conditions: EUR 0.10 per word.

Third point: Very improbable project: The translation from English into French of... "The Portrait of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde. Why should such a well-known novel need yet another translation?

Conclusion: Many thanks to Annika Hedqvist for alerting us to this scam: "The correct site is .COM, not .ORG."
▲ Collapse


Ines Cunha Jorge
Mouhamadou Lamine Ka
 
Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Polonia
Local time: 11:37
Membru (2002)
din engleză în rusă
+ ...

MODERATOR
LOCALIZARE SITE
Thank you for finally posting some identifying data Sep 4

This was just another Nigerian scammer impersonating a real company.
The real IP was 135.129.124.131

Profile removed, email blocked.


 
Juan Chen
Juan Chen  Identity Verified
China
Membru (2008)
din engleză în chineză
+ ...
yes I am scammed, crying Sep 15

This is a scammer.

Ines Cunha Jorge
 
Ana Vozone
Ana Vozone  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:37
Membru (2010)
din engleză în portugheză
+ ...
Same here... Sep 16

They have been sending me emails and keep coming back because I don't respond.
Typical scammers!


Ines Cunha Jorge
 
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugalia
Local time: 10:37
Membru (2007)
din engleză în portugheză
+ ...
Same here... Sep 18

I was targeted for the first time this morning.

Ines Cunha Jorge
 
Valentina Mellone
Valentina Mellone  Identity Verified
Italia
Local time: 11:37
Membru (2011)
din engleză în italiană
+ ...
Definitely a scam! Sep 23

I received an email from [email protected] today but before replying I searched on Google for "ECW PRESS scam" (without inverted commas) and luckily I found this thread.

I'm sharing their email address here for giving further information to avoid this scam.


Maria Laura Curzi
 
Mouhamadou Lamine Ka
Mouhamadou Lamine Ka
Senegal
Local time: 09:37
din franceză în wolof
+ ...
[email protected] is indeed a scam Sep 24

I received the same email as the others, requesting a translation of "The Portrait of Dorian Gray". A quick search on google revealed that this is a known scam.

 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorii acestui forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »







Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »