Another scam? From a certain John Smith...
Auteur du fil: Dominic Galante
Dominic Galante
Dominic Galante
États-Unis
Local time: 11:59
latin vers anglais
+ ...
May 17, 2012

Today received and exchanged emails with a prospective client. The grammar/style is atrocious and the email was sent from a proxy IP address. The email address is [email protected], which doesn't seem to be an address anyone would voluntarily choose. Nor does "John" sign his last name to any email. He claims he is working on "short time businesses" (short term?) in London, and is a private investor with a book to translate. ... See more
Today received and exchanged emails with a prospective client. The grammar/style is atrocious and the email was sent from a proxy IP address. The email address is [email protected], which doesn't seem to be an address anyone would voluntarily choose. Nor does "John" sign his last name to any email. He claims he is working on "short time businesses" (short term?) in London, and is a private investor with a book to translate. Any one else have experience with this?

I don't think it's someone with whom I will be doing business. Beware if other, similar emails pop up.

Below are transcripts.

Hello,
A translator is needed to translate a project book from
English to Latin.Should you be interested contact me with
your CV.

Regards,
John.

Hello,
Thanks for your urgent response. I am looking for a translator to work on the pair stated for the new book that I am working on.I have chosen you to work on the project for we are in-between a new business that will require us to write out in Latin.I will attached the project if u are ready, just want you to have an understanding of what we are about to do.
I am a private investor, I work on short time businesses.
my address is

46 Belgrave Rd
Redbridge,
London
Zip Code: E11 3QW,

Now I guess you have an idea of whom you about to deal with.The delivery date is negotiable but must be before July 25, 2012.The total number of words are ... 17610 words.So, to convert from English to Latin,the project is not as big for the time range given, that is because I plan ahead of time.

Kindly state your readiness to translate the document
Your best price should be stated and total calculation in USD
Categorically, state your city and country of residence?
Your contact phone
Your terms of payment?
I hope we can come to term for the success of this project.

Best regards,
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Pologne
Local time: 17:59
Membre (2002)
anglais vers russe
+ ...

MODÉRATEUR
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Dominic May 17, 2012

This 'client' must suffer from serious sclerosis... he forgets his name rather frequently.

If serious - of course, this is a scammer, please take a look at http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translation_industry_wiki/222403-translator_scam_alert_reports.html

And
... See more
This 'client' must suffer from serious sclerosis... he forgets his name rather frequently.

If serious - of course, this is a scammer, please take a look at http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translation_industry_wiki/222403-translator_scam_alert_reports.html

And don't forget to subscribe to scam alerts at http://www.proz.com/about/translator-scam-alerts/

Natalia
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 17:59
Membre
français vers anglais
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Key words May 17, 2012

I too have received several similar requests in the past; key expressions to arouse suspicion are 'chosen' (why not 'selected'?) and 'project book' (what exactly is that?)

However, if you have the slightest suspicion that something might be a scam, do resist the temptation to reply to it; doing so only confirms the validity of your e-mail address (thus opening you to further spams and scams) — and also validates for the scammer that this method is likely to work...

Annamaria Amik
Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:59
roumain vers anglais
+ ...
Plus the future tense May 18, 2012

Will require, will attached (even if incorrect) - these future tense structures also seem to show up very frequently in scams.

Dominic Galante
Dominic Galante
États-Unis
Local time: 11:59
latin vers anglais
+ ...
AUTEUR DU FIL
Thanks May 18, 2012

Thanks all. I checked the scams wiki and noticed that the same address has been used in previous scams. There were all similar emails from different, obviously fake email addresses.

The first indicator that this was a scam is that anyone would propose to translate a book into Latin!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Modérateur(s) de ce forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another scam? From a certain John Smith...

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »