Is Lionbridge the kind of advertiser ProZ should allow?
Thread poster: Joshua Wolfe
Joshua Wolfe
Joshua Wolfe  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:19
French to English
+ ...
Aug 3, 2012

From time to time I have been receiving emails from Lionbridge. Perusing forum discussions such as

http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/184559-geoworkz-page4.html

I see that the company has very dubious methods.

Because some of their emails come via ProZ, I think the managers of ProZ.com have a responsibility to EITHER get Lionb
... See more
From time to time I have been receiving emails from Lionbridge. Perusing forum discussions such as

http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/184559-geoworkz-page4.html

I see that the company has very dubious methods.

Because some of their emails come via ProZ, I think the managers of ProZ.com have a responsibility to EITHER get Lionbridge to cease their questionable charging, refunding and job allocation habits/promises OR stop allowing Lionbridge to advertise via ProZ.

What do others think? Does anyone have anything good to say about Lionbridge?
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 07:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
My friends/colleagues and I... Aug 3, 2012

I might get modded for this, but to us this company pretty much epitomises everything that is wrong with translation today (it came up in conversation last week). My hackles rose when I saw their ad today, and in an ideal world I'd be able to post a "lol", or similar. I could perfectly well do the job they're offering, but I wouldn't be prepared to offer my services to any company that operates they way they do, unless I was really desperate, and even then it would be a last resort.

[Ed
... See more
I might get modded for this, but to us this company pretty much epitomises everything that is wrong with translation today (it came up in conversation last week). My hackles rose when I saw their ad today, and in an ideal world I'd be able to post a "lol", or similar. I could perfectly well do the job they're offering, but I wouldn't be prepared to offer my services to any company that operates they way they do, unless I was really desperate, and even then it would be a last resort.

[Edited at 2012-08-03 20:36 GMT]
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:19
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
- Aug 3, 2012

Joshua Wolfe wrote:
Does anyone have anything good to say about Lionbridge?

Adam Podstawczynski (X)
Adam Podstawczynski (X)  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
software Aug 4, 2012

Joshua Wolfe wrote:

What do others think? Does anyone have anything good to say about Lionbridge?

Well, I haven't had a chance to interact with the company per se, so I can't say about their dealings with translators, but I have been using their CAT tool ForeignDesk customized to handle certain specific projects, and I must say the general impression is positive.

The software has its drawbacks, but it is very fast, handles hundreds of files at a time with no perceivable slowdown, has a fast and efficient search tool and is very snappy in everything it does.

It needs getting used to though. And I'm not sure it is being developed any longer.

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
good thing Aug 4, 2012

Yes, I spent several weeks on an overseas assignment last year. They acted as an intermediary. It was great (including very decent pay and other terms), both the client and Liox were very reasonable and quite flexible, and I only have good things to say about the people at Liox I was working with. I suppose the uncanny nature of the project meant that many of the so-called corporate policies and procedures had to go down the drain, and the PMs were able to act on the basis of sound commercial co... See more
Yes, I spent several weeks on an overseas assignment last year. They acted as an intermediary. It was great (including very decent pay and other terms), both the client and Liox were very reasonable and quite flexible, and I only have good things to say about the people at Liox I was working with. I suppose the uncanny nature of the project meant that many of the so-called corporate policies and procedures had to go down the drain, and the PMs were able to act on the basis of sound commercial common sense.

Different people, different attitudes, absolutely awful corporate policy. I'm not going to go on a rant about the latter, no use here. But if you wanted something good, there it is.

[Edited at 2012-08-04 07:40 GMT]
Collapse

Slawomir Nieciecki
Slawomir Nieciecki  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
payment date 45 days Aug 4, 2012

is a complete absurdity
and why should I pay for translation workspace?

achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:19
Italian to English
+ ...
I don't pay them and they still give me work. Aug 4, 2012

I have refused to pay for Geoworkz etc., despite their pressure, and they still send me jobs in my specialty sector.
The jobs available on their market place are usually (but not always) with quite low rates, and translators have to bid fro them, bringing the price down even further.
Thus I don't take any part in the parts of their business model they seem to be pushing the most.

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 01:19
Member (2011)
English to German
What's the difference? Aug 4, 2012

Alexander Chisholm wrote:

The jobs available on their market place are usually (but not always) with quite low rates, and translators have to bid fro them, bringing the price down even further.

You have to bid for a job here at ProZ too, don't you? What's the difference?

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
For the disgruntled: Aug 4, 2012

Let's see where the business model has been taking them:

Green line: DJIA index
Blue line: Liox

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/1103/95421771.png

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
How could it be? Aug 4, 2012

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz wrote:

Let's see where the business model has been taking them:

Green line: DJIA index
Blue line: Liox

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/1103/95421771.png

I'm shocked! I was positive that the business model where you are paid both by your clients and your suppliers was foolproof...

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Do serious translators... ... Aug 5, 2012

Do people here still bid on L10nbridge jobs?

Really? That's interesting.

Nice weekend!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is Lionbridge the kind of advertiser ProZ should allow?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »