Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
How about to establish a kind of arbitration for translation quality?
Thread poster: Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:14
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My point exactly 2 Sep 2, 2008

Luis Arri Cibils wrote

We are in a global market where the traditional methods to dispute resolution, mainly the courts, are ineffective. Nobody can litigate a $2,000 invoice unpaid by a Turkish agency, if one is located, say, in China. Conversely, no Turkish agency can enforce any obligation, amounting to $2,000, from a Chinese freelancer. The global market is developing their own enforcing organisms. Should ProZ.com be one of them?

This is the reason why I started the thread.

Bye bye all again!

Angioletta

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Tis possible but... Sep 2, 2008

It is not that payment of an outstanding invoice cannot be pursued through the relevant courts it is just that it is not worth your while doing so. Since you are aware of this from the outset, it is a risk you take should you choose to work with a company based in a different jurisdiction to yours. So the choice, and the risk is yours. If it turns out badly then you can post a negative comment on the blueboard. As a result the agency/company will be prevented from pursuing their game through Pro... See more
It is not that payment of an outstanding invoice cannot be pursued through the relevant courts it is just that it is not worth your while doing so. Since you are aware of this from the outset, it is a risk you take should you choose to work with a company based in a different jurisdiction to yours. So the choice, and the risk is yours. If it turns out badly then you can post a negative comment on the blueboard. As a result the agency/company will be prevented from pursuing their game through Proz.

Having said that the same risk exists though maybe to a lesser extent in the country in which you are based. It will probably never be worthwhile pursuing an unpaid invoice through the national courts either, that's why we work in a dodgy business.

[Editado a las 2008-09-02 09:15]
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have posted this proposal of mine inside "ideas" Aug 18, 2010

Dear All

This is just to let you know that I have posted this "idea" inside "ideas".

All the best!

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 23:14
English to Thai
+ ...
Subjective opinions? Aug 19, 2010

gianfranco wrote:
It is possible that some professional associations have a similar mechanism to solve disputes, or to help their members, but ProZ.com could very well design an arbitration system to help its members.
Two ProZ.com members could not be members of the same association, and not even operating in the same country, and their only resouce to solve quickly and at a relatively low cost a dispute could be this venue.
I would go even further, and make the acceptance of an arbitration, in case of a dispute, part of the conditions to post a job in ProZ.com or to quote offering translation services through the site.

I support this idea. In many of my disputes on translation quality, subjective opinions of client's staffs are commanding and translators met with financial and other damages. Translation quality is not what a CAT's QA function can assure. The end user of translation should vote for ideal quality, and this should have been settled beforehand. ISO standard for quality i.e. ISO 9001 gives good guidelines on quality management processes including customer oriented job, satisfaction, auditing, corrective action, continual improvement, process owner.

Best regards

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is now under review--- Feb 3, 2013

Hello

I just wanted to update, this proposal in now under review, you can see it under "ideas"

All the best!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How about to establish a kind of arbitration for translation quality?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »