Număr de pagini:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Poll: How do you pronounce the *ProZ* in ProZ.com?
Inițiatorul discuției: ProZ.com Staff
Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Polonia
Local time: 15:55
Membru (2002)
din engleză în rusă
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Prozz Feb 19, 2006

I am with Jack, Christine and Clare

Gina W
Gina W
Statele Unite
Local time: 09:55
Membru (2003)
din franceză în engleză
Good question! Feb 19, 2006

I've met translators who pronounced it differently from one another. This is a good question and an interesting topic for discussion. I would think that Henry would have the final say on this, though the different potential pronunciations is just evidence of the true multlingualism and multiculturalism of this site.:)

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:55
din engleză în germană
Fab question Feb 19, 2006

How do you guys come up with these quick poll questions? I'd love to do that but my brain's not wired that way but I live in hope that one morning I wake up with an idea for a perfect quick poll question.

I'm with the majority who pronounce it as pros (meaning professionals) and always thought how clever Henry managed to get this particular domain name. Having been to the Krakow conference, I'm pretty sure that's what Henry calls it, too....
See more
How do you guys come up with these quick poll questions? I'd love to do that but my brain's not wired that way but I live in hope that one morning I wake up with an idea for a perfect quick poll question.

I'm with the majority who pronounce it as pros (meaning professionals) and always thought how clever Henry managed to get this particular domain name. Having been to the Krakow conference, I'm pretty sure that's what Henry calls it, too.

But I've heard people in the UK pronounce it as "prozz" (rhyming "loss") and again others who call it pro-zed, both of which I always found interesting but rather strange

Rebekka

[Edited at 2006-02-19 17:00]
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
Statele Unite
din spaniolă în engleză
+ ...
Double meaning - Pros / Prose Feb 19, 2006

I always thought it had a double meaning.

ProZ as in Pro(fessional)s
and there is also the English word Prose which refers to spoken or written language.

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germania
Utilizator
din engleză în turcă
+ ...
From Site FAQ Feb 19, 2006

2. How is "ProZ.com" pronounced?

At headquarters in New York, ProZ.com staff refer to the site as "proz-dot-com", with the 'proz' part pronounced exactly like "(written) prose" or "pros" (as in professionals). But some people say "pro-zee-dot-com", "pro-zed", "procetta", etc.

http://www.proz.com/faq/general#proz_pronounced

Now I'm curious to know whether it was Henry who came up with this poll.

[Edited at 2006-02-19 17:14]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
din engleză în germană
+ ...
Prozee Feb 19, 2006

it is stylish, has melody. In german we have a word "protz" sounds cut-off, rough and ridig. How about other languages. I chose prosee, easy to remember, doesn´t sound rough and one could say it while smiling. Best Brandis

diana bb
diana bb  Identity Verified
Lituania
Local time: 16:55
din engleză în lituaniană
+ ...
Yes, the same here Feb 19, 2006

Natalie wrote:

I am with Jack, Christine and Clare

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
Regatul Unit
din engleză în poloneză
Pro-zee Feb 19, 2006

Jack Doughty wrote:

I voted "other" because I always think and speak of it as "Prozz" (to rhyme with the Wizard of Oz), also "KoodOZZ" for KudoZ (stress on the second syllable).

[Edited at 2006-02-19 13:55]

I read it Pro-zee, but then - I also read KoodOZZ, not Kudo-zee... I suppose it's a matter of what is more handy for my tongue's comfort

Anni

lorette
lorette  Identity Verified
Franţa
din germană în franceză
+ ...
Pro-zed Feb 19, 2006

with a lovely French accent

Have a nice week !

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
din spaniolă în engleză
+ ...
Thanks for the link, Xola Feb 19, 2006

I've been reading this thread thinking, "I know when I first found ProZ about a year ago, I read through the FAQs and learned to pronounce it 'prose.' I'll go check that out just as soon as I finish reading this." But you've already done it! I guess this answers the question of how Henry says it.

On the other hand, when J.K. Rowling was asked how to pronounce "Hermione" (that was before the movies came out), she said, "However you want" and told about hearing a boy say "Hermy-1." Sh
... See more
I've been reading this thread thinking, "I know when I first found ProZ about a year ago, I read through the FAQs and learned to pronounce it 'prose.' I'll go check that out just as soon as I finish reading this." But you've already done it! I guess this answers the question of how Henry says it.

On the other hand, when J.K. Rowling was asked how to pronounce "Hermione" (that was before the movies came out), she said, "However you want" and told about hearing a boy say "Hermy-1." She loved it!

So if Pro-zeta sounds good to my Spanish-speaking friends, I have no problem at all with that. But it's helpful if everyone in a group agrees. Just three days ago I was working at an agency and a colleague said, "Let's check it on Pro-Zee." I admit, it took 2 repetitions before I caught it. But maybe I'm just slow.
Collapse

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
Regatul Unit
din spaniolă în engleză
Henry's pronunciation...?? Feb 19, 2006

I'm pretty sure Henry used to have a voice greeting on his profile page (not there any more, just checked), pronouncing it prose. I discovered this when someone pointed out the error of my ways pronouncing it ProZz (as in loss), so I'm very glad there are lots more out there like me who prefer the latter!

[Edited at 2006-02-19 18:55]

P.S. And in Spanish, I always say Pro-zeta

Mamie (X)
Mamie (X)  Identity Verified
Spania
din franceză în spaniolă
+ ...
Pro-zeta.... Feb 19, 2006

I'm in Spain.....

Ines Garcia Botana
Ines Garcia Botana  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:55
din engleză în spaniolă
+ ...
Pros as in Professionals Feb 19, 2006

I also understand it was a short way of saying "pros" as in professionals. I have never understood it when I hear some people, (not many) saying "Pro-zed or Pro-zee."

Why would the site be called Pro-zed or Pro-zee? What would the Z stand for?

Inés

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
Franţa
Membru (2003)
din engleză în olandeză
+ ...
It depends Feb 19, 2006

To my spouse I say proos [pro:s] with a hard s, and butcher the name the Dutch way. It has become a household name. To clients I say [pro:z], like in: "I'm sure you'll find a colleague at www.prose.com with a z."

This is the funniest poll yet, on this site.

Regards,
Gerard

Număr de pagini:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorii acestui forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you pronounce the *ProZ* in ProZ.com?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »