Gabriel Lyonnet
Gabriel Lyonnet  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 14, 2021

Dear prozzers,

An outsourcer yesterday gave me a translation job (which should continue today). He was very happy with the translation itself, but there were some issues with the PowerPoint file I sent. I'm using PowerPoint 2013, and yes, I have very little experience with this software.

It was a 1 slide file (1 page), with two title "boxes" and the main "box" for the body of text (an internal email for all the company). There was also a background image (company logo).
... See more
Dear prozzers,

An outsourcer yesterday gave me a translation job (which should continue today). He was very happy with the translation itself, but there were some issues with the PowerPoint file I sent. I'm using PowerPoint 2013, and yes, I have very little experience with this software.

It was a 1 slide file (1 page), with two title "boxes" and the main "box" for the body of text (an internal email for all the company). There was also a background image (company logo).

As expected, the Spanish translation was longer than the English original, so it would not be centered and "spilled" out of the box space. Avoiding messing with the design as much as possible, I simply added a couple cms to the Height in the "Size of Slide" ("Design" tab).

To be able to do this, I had to either "Maximize" or "Adjust" the slide. I chose the latter. This left me with a "Customized" or "Personalized" slide instead of the "Panoramic" original. Prior to delivery, I noticed the font size had slightly changed, so I just painted all the text, pressed the correct font size, and again adjusted the slide Height. Finally I pressed "Justify Margins" (the original was not justified). It all looked perfectly well.

The feedback on this issue from the outsourcer read: "the logo on the right was compressed and the text was abnormally small for an 11pt font. (...) I'm just trying to understand what could have compressed the background page? Let's say that on a page it's not annoying but on a file of 100 slides it's something else!

"Our demand for translation is growing and I will have to expand the team in 2022 but as 3/4 of the files are in powerpoint format (...) I have to make sure that the translators' tools are compatible."

Thank you for your time in reading this post and for any help you can provide.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:06
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Change the boxes Dec 14, 2021

In situations like the one you describe it's advisable not to change the overall size of the slide; where necessary it's better to change the width and/or height of the text boxes (and possibly adjusting their position very slightly). If necessary, and within reason, you can also make the text size slightly smaller to make it fit. After all, the client can't expect that the translated text will always fit exactly into the same space as the source text!

MollyRose

Gabriel Lyonnet
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh yes Dec 14, 2021

Hi Tom,

Yes! This was the first thing I intended to do. I went for it, but somehow ended up choosing to change the slide size. Big mistake!

Thanks a lot!

Gabriel

Tom in London

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 00:06
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
NEVER change slide size! Dec 14, 2021

This will inevitably have knock-on effects everywhere!
You may just be able to cheat by slightly reducing the font size, or better if you can, change the character spacing to be slightly 'condensed', or change the font 'width' to say 90% — but be careful not to reduce legibility! In some cases, you may even be abel to choose a 'narrow' version of the same font: using Arial Narrow has saved my bacon many times!
Werecat is a very useful utility that will extract the text boxes from a
... See more
This will inevitably have knock-on effects everywhere!
You may just be able to cheat by slightly reducing the font size, or better if you can, change the character spacing to be slightly 'condensed', or change the font 'width' to say 90% — but be careful not to reduce legibility! In some cases, you may even be abel to choose a 'narrow' version of the same font: using Arial Narrow has saved my bacon many times!
Werecat is a very useful utility that will extract the text boxes from a PPT, allow you to translate them within a DOC format (using your favourite CAT tool) and then pop them all back into the right places. The advantage of this is that in your translation you won't inadvertently make changes that have unexpected repercussions, and then you can "massage" the layout at the very end when you have popped the boxes back into place.
Collapse

Gabriel Lyonnet
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good advice! Dec 14, 2021

Hi Tony M,

This is very heplful. Lots of options to take into account (font size, character spacing, font width). This will surely help!
I will explore about Werecat too.
Thanks a lot and have a good day!

Gabriel

Gabriel Lyonnet
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you... Dec 14, 2021

...both for your answers! It has been really helpful...

Yes, Tom: the client did initially make me note that spaces would change. Now I went back to him with the comments received in this forum, and the client's response has been that he himself was looking for an answer which he will give me shortly.

Thanks again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PowerPoint slide size changes during EN - ES translation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »