Off topic: ever-expanding data bases: a piece of my mind
Tópico cartaz: yolivf
yolivf
yolivf  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:26
inglês para espanhol
+ ...
Oct 19, 2011

I contacted an agency back in mid-May; I got their reply and on their demand I sent them the confidentiality agreement, the Supplier's questionnaire and the samples of my work (30 May); and, finally, the Business Marketing Test Piece_ 2 (23 June). Yet, I am still waiting for a reply. It is not only annoying, it is time consuming. This seems to be common practice among agencies, though; and I wonder: do all the agencies that do this ever reply or do they just keep asking for free tests? And, more... See more
I contacted an agency back in mid-May; I got their reply and on their demand I sent them the confidentiality agreement, the Supplier's questionnaire and the samples of my work (30 May); and, finally, the Business Marketing Test Piece_ 2 (23 June). Yet, I am still waiting for a reply. It is not only annoying, it is time consuming. This seems to be common practice among agencies, though; and I wonder: do all the agencies that do this ever reply or do they just keep asking for free tests? And, more generally, what are some agencies making us translators spend our time filling in forms for?... Is it all about data-base expansion?

Cheers

[Editado a las 2011-10-20 10:05 GMT]
Collapse

WriuszTran
WriuszTran
Alemanha
Types of companies Oct 19, 2011

There are companies that have lots of forms and database work and test translations, and there are companies that have work. There doesn't seem to be much overlap.

I haven't taken a test in years.

Anne Walseth
Anne Walseth  Identity Verified
inglês para norueguês
+ ...
Hear hear Oct 19, 2011

MSBerlin wrote:

There are companies that have lots of forms and database work and test translations, and there are companies that have work. There doesn't seem to be much overlap.

Well said!

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
Local time: 13:26
português para inglês
+ ...
Agree Oct 19, 2011

I have found little correlation between those that ask you to sit tests and those that actually give you some work. What is even more frustrating are the ones who have you on their database, yet post a job on ProZ or elsewhere that matches your skills after you've taken the trouble to fill out all their forms, NDAs, maybe even done a test for them. Why not send a round robin to the translators already on their database? How can it be about database expansion? Are they not creating more work for ... See more
I have found little correlation between those that ask you to sit tests and those that actually give you some work. What is even more frustrating are the ones who have you on their database, yet post a job on ProZ or elsewhere that matches your skills after you've taken the trouble to fill out all their forms, NDAs, maybe even done a test for them. Why not send a round robin to the translators already on their database? How can it be about database expansion? Are they not creating more work for themselves by receiving a mountain of cvs and quotes each time they post an ad?

[Edited at 2011-10-19 12:19 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Espanha
Membro (2005)
inglês para espanhol
+ ...
Indeed!! Oct 19, 2011

MSBerlin wrote:

I entirely agree.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canadá
Local time: 06:26
holandês para inglês
+ ...
Don't send Oct 19, 2011

I usually tell companies that I will send a signed contract and other documents as soon as I have received a job from them. I don't do tests either - they can look at the samples in my Proz profile. All I am willing to send is my resume.

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 08:26
espanhol para inglês
+ ...
Tina's practice seems like a good rule to live by Oct 20, 2011

I myself have generally been willing to take short tests, but I have to say that very little of my test-taking has actually resulted in paid work.

I also think that "database expansion" in many cases translates into "looking for cheap translators who have not yet gotten wise to our shoddy payment practices."

Michael Grant
Michael Grant
Japão
Local time: 21:26
japonês para inglês
Brilliant! Oct 21, 2011

Tina Vonhof wrote:
I usually tell companies that I will send a signed contract and other documents as soon as I have received a job from them. I don't do tests either - they can look at the samples in my Proz profile. All I am willing to send is my resume.

What a great way of weeding out the riff-raff agencies! I love it!

I am ashamed to admit I have been too much of a pushover and have, up to now,
done practice tests without a making a fuss. It never dawned on me that I could say No"...!

Well, no more! I have seen the error of my ways!

I'm going to update my sample translations, and
start referring these "test-pushers" to there!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) deste fórum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ever-expanding data bases: a piece of my mind

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »