Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: "Devouring your children". Do you do that in your country/region?
Thread poster: Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 05:21
Spanish to French
+ ...
I think the approach would be similar in France. Jul 14, 2011

For example, I might act as if I were eating a foot or a hand from my youngest one.
Incidentally, there is also a game which is very popular with kids in France where you mimick taking the child's nose and then place you thumb btw your two fingers pretending it's their nose, and have them try to take it back.
I don't think I would play the "eating/cuddling" games with any kids that are not relatives (not even friend's kids), although I can occasionally chase them and roar like a mons
... See more
For example, I might act as if I were eating a foot or a hand from my youngest one.
Incidentally, there is also a game which is very popular with kids in France where you mimick taking the child's nose and then place you thumb btw your two fingers pretending it's their nose, and have them try to take it back.
I don't think I would play the "eating/cuddling" games with any kids that are not relatives (not even friend's kids), although I can occasionally chase them and roar like a monster while doing so.
I think I've read something somewhere about the relationship btw "eating" and love (in other words, why we say we're going to eat someone we love) but I cannot put my finger on it now.

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Thank you everyone for all the really amazing replies so far! Quite interesting to see the different approaches to this.

Just for clarification, I was thinking more about holding the kids in your arms and act as if you were eating them, not just chasing them. For instance, I chase other children in my kids' school, but would never hold them and "eat" them.

Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 12:21
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Verbs: chew, swallow etc Jul 14, 2011

Nicolas Coyer wrote:

Just for clarification, I was thinking more about holding the kids in your arms and act as if you were eating them, not just chasing them. For instance, I chase other children in my kids' school, but would never hold them and "eat" them.
[/quote]

The food related metaphors go even further, we say:

I'm going to chew on that idea
I couldn't swallow what he said

Or perhaps: can you digest 20,000 word translation in three days?

etc

Btw, I laughed when you said you were roaring like a monster.

[Edited at 2011-07-14 11:08 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:21
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Could you provide an audio file, please? Jul 14, 2011

Nicolas Coyer wrote:
I ... roar like a monster while doing so.

Context is important.

Louisa Berry
Louisa Berry
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:21
Member (2009)
German to English
Cute dogs Jul 14, 2011

I dont have children, maybe in a few years, but I do tell my dog 'your so cute, I want to nom you.. nommy nommy Saul' and the like.. and then I cuddle him lots.. he seems to like it!

Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
children eaters Jul 14, 2011

I don't know it is my culture or it is just me, but I would eat all the children I see. They are cute and sweet and delicious. I think I look weird in Holland when smiling at other people's children on the street or in supermarkets. I would definitely start playing with them a little bit, if I wouldn't be afraid of their parents' reaction

Luximar Arenas Petty
Luximar Arenas Petty  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
I "eat" my daughter every day Jul 14, 2011

I "eat' my daughter's feet almost every day. I used to do it with my nephews back in Venezuela when they were babies. I have seen my relatives here in the US doing it too.

I also cuddle her a lot so she'll get used to it.

Nice topic Tomás!

Mariela Diaz-Butler
Mariela Diaz-Butler
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
You're delicious! Jul 14, 2011

That's what I tell my boys when I'm about to eat them (hug them tightly and tickle them to death). I do it so often that my youngest has come to equate "you're delicious" with "I love you". He tells me, "mommy, I love you, you're delicious" and then pretends to bite my cheek.

BTW: I live in the States, but I was raised in Venezuela, and I don't actually recall anyone eating me when I was a kid...

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So very much the same everywhere? Jul 14, 2011

So far we have had answers from Europe, the US, and Japan, and it seems that we all like to do the game of holding our children do the "eating".

I reckon that the idea of playing with the children of people who are not our friends or relatives is not quite adequate anywhere.

I thank you all in advance for more opinions and reports!

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
They are nice and tender Jul 14, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

I reckon that the idea of playing with the children of people who are not our friends or relatives is not quite adequate anywhere.

No. You wouldn't allow your nephew to french-kiss your wife, either, and babies are no toys for anyone to play with, or the mom will jump in your face.

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Addendum Jul 14, 2011

If you even try this on any other child here in the US, it will get you into prison.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I know, I know!! Jul 14, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:
If you even try this on any other child here in the US, it will get you into prison.

Thanks for the hint. Yes, I was aware of that. Won't go about holding other people's children!

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 19:21
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Universal rule Jul 14, 2011

Children really are a bundle of joy.

Klementina Shahini
Klementina Shahini
United States
Member (2009)
English to Albanian
+ ...
The same thing in Albania Jul 14, 2011

Yes, I do "eat" all the children.They are so cute and lovable.How can you resist their cute, beautiful, innocent faces. When our kids were little we played that game almost every evening. It is so interesting to know though that people from other countries do the same. I always wondered about it especially when I moved to the USA.

Thank you for sharing.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Devouring your children". Do you do that in your country/region?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »