Inițiatorul discuției: Brandis (X)
RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
Statele Unite
Local time: 12:29
din germană în engleză
A question of comprehension Oct 6, 2006

Brandis wrote:
Hi! I do not mean visitors or tourists in germany, but generally everyone has. This is a personal id that connects (plays a big role with the authorities, whether tax, profession, criminal records or provident fund contributions or allocation etc., etc., various issues) Whether it is a freelancer or a company owner or even a department head in a govt office has a social security id.

You only have a social security number (SV-Nummer) if you have paid social security contributions or received benefits. Most children will also have a number because of child benefit. However, foreigners who come to Germany and work only as freelances won't necessarily have an SV-Nummer, as freelances don't pay social security contributions. You certainly don't need an SV-Nummer to pay tax!

It seems there is a similarity with your case

Difficult to tell, to be honest, as I'm still not entirely clear about whether your agency client wants this information (for its own purposes) or if its bank requires this information before it can pay you. Perhaps you could clarify this. The matter of our bank branch's street address was merely a question of filling in lines on a form, nothing more than that. A lot of UK banks still haven't woken up to IBANs, I think.

So, as I said, perhaps you could put us all out of our misery and tell us whether the agency wants this info for its own internal reasons, or whether a bank computer is demanding it. Feel free to write German if that's easier for you.
Thanks.

Ivana UK
Ivana UK  Identity Verified
Regatul Unit
Local time: 18:29
Membru (2005)
din italiană în engleză
+ ...
Hi Brandis Oct 6, 2006

I was a manager in the complaints department of one the UK largest banks ultil the end of last year and can confirm that UK banks DO NOT require a national insurance number in order to arrange an international bank transfer!!

The only time you will be asked to produce your NI number is when opening an mini-cash or maxi ISA (and these are only available to UK citizens). As you are not attempting to open this type of account, this is completely irrelevant anyway.

If the
... See more
I was a manager in the complaints department of one the UK largest banks ultil the end of last year and can confirm that UK banks DO NOT require a national insurance number in order to arrange an international bank transfer!!

The only time you will be asked to produce your NI number is when opening an mini-cash or maxi ISA (and these are only available to UK citizens). As you are not attempting to open this type of account, this is completely irrelevant anyway.

If the agency has asked you to supply this then it is for their own purposes and not the bank's.

Hope your resolve this,

Ivana
Collapse

gwm
gwm  Identity Verified
Regatul Unit
Local time: 18:29
Membru (2005)
sales tax id. Oct 6, 2006

I think they just want your

Ust ID Nr = Umsatzsteueridentifikationsnr. = sales tax id.

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
Statele Unite
Local time: 13:29
din engleză în spaniolă
Let's go back to the title of your thread Oct 7, 2006

You said the "outsourcer" is asking you for that information... and then you start by saying, without further explanation, that it seems the bank is asking for the information before they can release the payment. But this is not clear to anyone in this thread, I think; and I wonder whether it is clear to you.
Living in the U.S., I must provide a W-9 to the outsourcer, with my Soc. Sec. number because, after reaching certain amount, they have to withhold taxes from the payments and
... See more
You said the "outsourcer" is asking you for that information... and then you start by saying, without further explanation, that it seems the bank is asking for the information before they can release the payment. But this is not clear to anyone in this thread, I think; and I wonder whether it is clear to you.
Living in the U.S., I must provide a W-9 to the outsourcer, with my Soc. Sec. number because, after reaching certain amount, they have to withhold taxes from the payments and send them to the government, and at the end of the year, or quarterly, I better match my share of those taxes and file them likewise.
In the case of foreign outsourcers requesting my tax id number (which in the U.S. also happens to be the Soc. Sec. number) I have been explained that the information is needed so they can provide evidence to their tax authorities that the money was paid to a foreigner that does not file taxes in their country. So I believe it has to do with avoiding tax evasion charges (from the outsourcer's point of view) and also with money laundering schemes.
Collapse

Număr de pagini:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Outsourcer is requesting my social security id or the national insurance id

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »