Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Can I export TMX file in TXT format - OR how can I check if TMX file updated....?
Thread poster: Theresa Trisolino
Juan Carlos Sánchez López
Juan Carlos Sánchez López
Local time: 11:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Double units? Oct 25, 2012

It's true the easiest way to open a TMX flle is just using a simple Notepad, and I agree with FarkasAndras that your client would prefer the bilingual file instead of the TM.

But another problem arises here for me. When you finally manage to get your changes in the TM, what happens with the old units? Do they the revised one replace the old one or does the system create two? Because in this case, next time you have a similar text you will see both, and you migh not remember which on
... See more
It's true the easiest way to open a TMX flle is just using a simple Notepad, and I agree with FarkasAndras that your client would prefer the bilingual file instead of the TM.

But another problem arises here for me. When you finally manage to get your changes in the TM, what happens with the old units? Do they the revised one replace the old one or does the system create two? Because in this case, next time you have a similar text you will see both, and you migh not remember which one was the right one.
I get this problem often and it is annoying. Is it a question of having different user names (for instance mine as proofreader and the one of the tmx?)
It would be very helpful to know this.

Thank you and good luck Teresa

JC
Collapse

Theresa Trisolino
Theresa Trisolino  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:09
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you again Oct 25, 2012

Thank you again - very helpful and put my mind at rest!

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:09
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Avoiding doubles Oct 25, 2012

Juancar wrote:

But another problem arises here for me. When you finally manage to get your changes in the TM, what happens with the old units? Do they the revised one replace the old one or does the system create two? Because in this case, next time you have a similar text you will see both, and you migh not remember which one was the right one.
I get this problem often and it is annoying. Is it a question of having different user names (for instance mine as proofreader and the one of the tmx?)
It would be very helpful to know this.

Thank you and good luck Teresa

JC

There are two options for avoiding double (pre-review and post-review) TUs that I can see
1) In most CATs, there should be a setting for overwriting existing TUs when importing a TMX. So just set it to overwrite and it should replace old TUs with the new, corrected ones.

2) Don't update your main TM with non-final TUs. The days of Workbench are over, most CATs allow you to use any number of TMs with any settings you like. You can have a "working TM" and a "master TM". The master TM contains reviewed, final TUs, while the working TM contains just the current translation and is deleted or emptied when the current project is done. When you get a TMX from the proofreader with the final translations, you import it into the master TM.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I export TMX file in TXT format - OR how can I check if TMX file updated....?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »