What to do when all answers are correct and equally useful?
Автор темы: Williamson
Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
Великобритания
Local time: 12:19
фламандский => английский
+ ...
Jul 28, 2003

Yesterday, I posted a Russian anacronym in Kudoz. The answers came in swiftly.
However, they all fitted the context and were all correct. Who to choose in such a situation?
Can different persons receive Kudoz-marks
(4 since all the answers gave references and were correct). I opted for the European solution and references, because I am based in Europe, but the American explanation was equally valid. Dilemma...

Martine Etienne
Martine Etienne  Identity Verified
Бельгия
Local time: 13:19
Член ProZ.com
английский => французский
+ ...
choose the fastest answerer.....is one...bad....but sometimes useful solution Jul 28, 2003

[quote]Williamson wrote:

Yesterday, I posted a Russian anacronym in Kudoz. The answers came in swiftly.
However, they all fitted the context and were all correct. Who to choose in such a situation?

In this case I choose the most rapid .... But I would also find it very good to be able to give Kudoz to different persons or to none... when no answer given is satisfactory or give for instance 1 point to all answerer for the research done.
An open question for Kudoz developpers...

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
польский => английский
+ ...
This came up several times... Jul 28, 2003

ProZ does not allow to award more than one person at once.
If all the answers are equally valid (or identical) I grade on a first-come first-serve basis (which, of course, favours those with fast connections, but...)
If not, I award the one with better references etc.
I also try to award an "honourable mention" in the reply to winner box. This in case someone provides additional information to an answer already posted.

Cheers,
Pawel Skalinski

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Германия
английский => немецкий
+ ...
No dilemma Jul 28, 2003

I opted for the European solution and references, because I am based in Europe, but the American explanation was equally valid. Dilemma...

...because you chose the answer that was most helpful to you. Just include a word of thanks to all providers in your grading comment, and everyone's happy.

Best regards, Ralf

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Швеция
Член ProZ.com c 2000
немецкий => шведский
+ ...
Памяти
Award points to "the answer that was most helpful" Jul 28, 2003

is the rule to follow.
If your choice requires an explanation:

Explain!

BR

Mats J C Wiman
Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe
... See more
is the rule to follow.
If your choice requires an explanation:

Explain!

BR

Mats J C Wiman
Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe
http://www.MatsWiman.com
http://www.Deutsch-Schwedisch.com
http://www.proz.com/translator/1749
(ProZ.com deu>swe & forum moderator)
eMail : [email protected]
Street: Träsk 201
Tel : +46-612-54112
Fax : +46-612-54181
Mobile: +46-70-5769797
Collapse

Maria Knorr
Maria Knorr
Local time: 07:19
английский
+ ...
Yes but... Jul 28, 2003

on many occasions (at least in Russian English pairs) the answers are identicle as are the references. I gave points to the fastest one but not because it was the best one but because they were all equally unhelpful and I was getting emails that I have to close the question.

Mariflor Salas
Mariflor Salas  Identity Verified
Венесуэла
Local time: 07:19
английский => испанский
And what happens if you are not satisfied with any of the answers? Jul 28, 2003

How about if you are not sure of any of the answers? On one hand, I would like to thank the answerers for having tried to help me, but on the other hand if I am not sure of any of the answers, don't I make a mistake if I "reward" an answer that may be wrong?

Right now there are two questions that I posted not too long, and I keep getting a message from Proz asking me to choose one of the answers. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to determine whether any or all the answers are corr
... See more
How about if you are not sure of any of the answers? On one hand, I would like to thank the answerers for having tried to help me, but on the other hand if I am not sure of any of the answers, don't I make a mistake if I "reward" an answer that may be wrong?

Right now there are two questions that I posted not too long, and I keep getting a message from Proz asking me to choose one of the answers. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to determine whether any or all the answers are correct. I know there is a "decline" option, but that's akin to saying that tne answers are wrong, which I'm not sure is the case.

What am I supposed to do in these cases?
Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Мексика
Local time: 05:19
испанский => английский
+ ...
Thank everyone Jul 28, 2003

This is what I do:

In the area where you write comments when you choose an answer, thank by name everyone who helped you. Apologize for not being able to give them all points. Mention that all their answers were correct and helpful. If there was a particular point in someone's explantion that was especially helpful, mention it specifically. Thank anyone who gave an "agree" comment by name, too, if there was some point in their comment that was helpful.

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Германия
Член ProZ.com c 2002
английский => немецкий
+ ...
Award only one point to one of the answers OR do use 'decline' Jul 28, 2003

Hi 'msal',

What am I supposed to do in these cases?

That's what the one-to-four point grading scale is for IMHO - you can award just one point to the answer you consider a bit closer to the point (or a tad more helpful) than the others, which expresses in a way that you aren't really satisfied with the whole range of answers provided. In closing the question, I'd recommend adding a comment in the relevant box stating that none of the answers was really helpful but nonetheless thanking all contributors for their efforts. Alternatively, please do use the 'decline' feature if there's *absolutely* no difference between the answers (and if they're all way off the mark, of course).

Regards,
Steffen

[Edited at 2003-07-28 14:07]

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Мексика
Local time: 05:19
английский => немецкий
+ ...
Roll a dice Jul 28, 2003

I think GoodWords solution is the best one.

But it does not help you to decide whom to award the KudoZ if the equally best answers came at the same time. In this (rare) case I would consider rolling a dice to be a fair solution.

GoodWords wrote:
In the area where you write comments when you choose an answer, thank by name everyone who helped you. Apologize for not being able to give them all points. Mention that all their answers were correct and helpful. If there was a particular point in someone's explantion that was especially helpful, mention it specifically. Thank anyone who gave an "agree" comment by name, too, if there was some point in their comment that was helpful.

[Edited at 2003-07-28 20:46]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What to do when all answers are correct and equally useful?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »