How to read and write Hindi (Devnagri) script while answering and asking question on Kudoz
Autor wątku: Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
Indie
Local time: 04:42
Członek ProZ.com
od 2008

angielski > hindi
+ ...
Jul 1, 2003

Proz.com has been doing a wonderful job by providing translators a common platform for getting their doubts dispelled and seeking the opinion of fellow professionals in respect of some typical and complicated expressions which they encounter during the course of translation by means of Kudoz.

We have been using Roman script for suggesting answers in respect of queries concerning English to Hindi translation as perhaps there was no provision to use Hindi(Devnagri) script. But I have
... See more
Proz.com has been doing a wonderful job by providing translators a common platform for getting their doubts dispelled and seeking the opinion of fellow professionals in respect of some typical and complicated expressions which they encounter during the course of translation by means of Kudoz.

We have been using Roman script for suggesting answers in respect of queries concerning English to Hindi translation as perhaps there was no provision to use Hindi(Devnagri) script. But I have seen recently that some of the professionals have started using Hindi script for the same. This is a great sign as Roman script does not contain all the consonants which Hindi has and it sometimes fails to convey the exact and actual sounds of some Hindi consonants and vowels simply for the reason that these do not exist in Roman alphabet. Therefore, we can express ourselves in a better way by means of using Hindi script instead of Roman.

But the problem with me is that I am unable to read this script on Kudoz. I can see nothing but a series of small squares in respect of answers provided or questions asked in Hindi. That is why I am unable to suggest any answer for the same. Could somebody guide me and tell me the procedure to read and write Hindi (Devnagri) script on Kudoz so that I may also benefit from this innovation?

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards

Langclinic
Collapse

Roomy Naqvy
Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
Indie
angielski > hindi
+ ...
Please use Unicode Jul 1, 2003

Dear Colleague,

Please upgrade to a windows 2000/xp machine and if you already have, then please use a unicode font like Arial Unicode Ms or the Raghu font which is used on the BBC world news website in Hindi and you would not face any problem.

Best wishes.

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
Indie
Członek ProZ.com
od 2008

angielski > hindi
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Thanks for your advice Jul 2, 2003

Roomy Naqvy wrote:

Dear Colleague,

Please upgrade to a windows 2000/xp machine and if you already have, then please use a unicode font like Arial Unicode Ms or the Raghu font which is used on the BBC world news website in Hindi and you would not face any problem.

Best wishes.

Dear Mr. Roomy,

Many thanks for your useful and informative answer to my problem. Since I am not much conversant with the methods and applications of the Computer, could you kindly explain the procedure in a detailed way? Where can I find Arial Unicode or the Raghu font? Can the same be downloaded from some site.

Your guidance and advice will be highly appreciated.

Regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to read and write Hindi (Devnagri) script while answering and asking question on Kudoz

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »