Is this offer legit?
Inițiatorul discuției: Alexis Lilja
Alexis Lilja
Alexis Lilja
Suedia
Local time: 16:28
din engleză în suedeză
+ ...
Sep 24

Deluxe Spain reached out to me about a transcription job and joining their transcription pool. After a lot of back and forth, they wanted me to do a 2 hour unpaid test. It felt a bit much, but I did it anyway. That was on a Friday. They assured me I wouldn't need to practice or do research, but also weren't able to answer any questions I had about the test instructions. Nevertheless, I figured it out and submitted it. But no one confirmed they received my test. Two days later, on a weekend, anot... See more
Deluxe Spain reached out to me about a transcription job and joining their transcription pool. After a lot of back and forth, they wanted me to do a 2 hour unpaid test. It felt a bit much, but I did it anyway. That was on a Friday. They assured me I wouldn't need to practice or do research, but also weren't able to answer any questions I had about the test instructions. Nevertheless, I figured it out and submitted it. But no one confirmed they received my test. Two days later, on a weekend, another person stepped in and let me know they received it and I'd have the results in a few days.

Then I heard nothing. I emailed twice and only got a reply this week. I asked if I'd have a definite result before the month is through, and they haven't replied.

Unlike most agencies, they had no NDA they wanted me to sign. Tomorrow it'll have been two weeks since the test.

They said they're only able to pay in USD and seem to favour PayPal and Payoneer over bank transfer. They mentioned nothing about what program they use or much details about the job. But they said one would go through training if accepted. I don't know if that would be paid or not.

Has anyone else been approached by them and do you think they're legit?
▲ Collapse


 
Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germania
Local time: 16:28
Membru (2009)
din engleză în germană
+ ...
Nice try Sep 25

A two hours unpaid test is apparently their way of getting a transcription project for free. The fact that they don't answer your questions speaks for itself. If I were you, I'd stay away from it as far as I could because there doesn't seem to be anything legit about it..

[Edited at 2026-09-25 10:24 GMT]


WolfgangS
Josephine Cassar
Angie Garbarino
expressisverbis
Dler Piran
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Jorge Payan
 
Alexis Lilja
Alexis Lilja
Suedia
Local time: 16:28
din engleză în suedeză
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
Really? Sep 25

They didn't give me video files but links. Part one was transcribing a few minutes of a very old tv segment. That's not something they can use. Part two was to listen to a few minutes of another segment and see if I heard anything that wasn't in the script.

I don't think either part of the test will be of use to them, as far as transcription goes. It seems odd that one of the largest agencies would resort to such cheap tricks.

It's bad that they were not able to answer
... See more
They didn't give me video files but links. Part one was transcribing a few minutes of a very old tv segment. That's not something they can use. Part two was to listen to a few minutes of another segment and see if I heard anything that wasn't in the script.

I don't think either part of the test will be of use to them, as far as transcription goes. It seems odd that one of the largest agencies would resort to such cheap tricks.

It's bad that they were not able to answer my questions and that is certainly a red flag. Except when it comes to agencies, poor communication is far from unheard of. Many of them seem to know next to nothing about linguistics and simply started their agencies because they saw a market for it.

However, I agree that the radio silence is unsettling. I have worked with so many agencies over the years, but since the pandemic, every single agency that has reached out through Proz has tried to scam me. I am starting to wonder if there are any legit agencies left.

This was their latest/last email:

"Hello,

I hope that you are well.

Thank you for following up.

Your test is still in evaluation.

Please be advised that we will get back to you once we have the results."

[Edited at 2026-09-25 13:38 GMT]
▲ Collapse


Maria Laura Curzi
 
Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germania
Local time: 16:28
Membru (2009)
din engleză în germană
+ ...
Two hours unpaid test Sep 25

Those were your own words. Perhaps you should have phrased your post a little clearer and less misleading. Then you would have received a different reply.

[Edited at 2026-09-25 17:10 GMT]


Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
 
Gregor Trebec
Gregor Trebec
Slovenia
Local time: 16:28
din engleză în slovenă
+ ...
Well... Sep 25

First, in another thread one is talking about pro-bono. Now, you are talking about free test. O_o

 
Daryo
Daryo
Local time: 15:28
din sârbă în engleză
+ ...
Not so sure ... Sep 25

Alexis Lilja wrote:

They didn't give me video files but links. Part one was transcribing a few minutes of a very old tv segment. That's not something they can use. Part two was to listen to a few minutes of another segment and see if I heard anything that wasn't in the script.

I don't think either part of the test will be of use to them, as far as transcription goes. It seems odd that one of the largest agencies would resort to such cheap tricks.

It's bad that they were not able to answer my questions and that is certainly a red flag. Except when it comes to agencies, poor communication is far from unheard of. Many of them seem to know next to nothing about linguistics and simply started their agencies because they saw a market for it.

However, I agree that the radio silence is unsettling. I have worked with so many agencies over the years, but since the pandemic, every single agency that has reached out through Proz has tried to scam me. I am starting to wonder if there are any legit agencies left.

This was their latest/last email:

"Hello,

I hope that you are well.

Thank you for following up.

Your test is still in evaluation.

Please be advised that we will get back to you once we have the results."

[Edited at 2026-09-25 13:38 GMT]


There are no ways to be 100% sure, but given the few clues you've given (no NDA, please wait for Godot ...) this is a perfectly possible scenario:

Part one was transcribing a few minutes of a very old tv segment. That's not something they can use.

Oh yes, they could very well have some very good use for it - if' it is to be part of some historical retrospective.

Part two was to listen to a few minutes of another segment and see if I heard anything that wasn't in the script.

Well you just checked for free someone else's work - that ALSO might have been a 'free test'.

It seems odd that one of the largest agencies would resort to such cheap tricks.

Even less sure about that one. I have better things to do than having a close encounter with Messrs. Carter-Ruck & Co so no names to be given, but there are few examples [not so difficult to find] of 'large / reputable / ...' companies behaving just like that – resorting to some very cheap (and very profitable – to them) tricks.

Yes, all that does not sound very nice - definitely agree on that.


Alexis Lilja
 
Alexis Lilja
Alexis Lilja
Suedia
Local time: 16:28
din engleză în suedeză
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
Wait and see Sep 25

@Daryo

I guess I'll just have to wait and see if they get back to me or not. How unsettling that there are agencies out there who would use people like that. I really hoped I'd finally found a genuine agency.

If they don't reply by Monday, I guess that makes this the 13th agency scammer that has reached out to me this year. They all reached out through Proz.


Maria Laura Curzi
 
Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japonia
Local time: 23:28
Membru (2005)
din engleză în japoneză
+ ...
This is why I don't take free tests Sep 26

Alexis Lilja wrote:

Deluxe Spain reached out to me about a transcription job and joining their transcription pool. After a lot of back and forth, they wanted me to do a 2 hour unpaid test. It felt a bit much, but I did it anyway. That was on a Friday. They assured me I wouldn't need to practice or do research, but also weren't able to answer any questions I had about the test instructions. Nevertheless, I figured it out and submitted it. But no one confirmed they received my test. Two days later, on a weekend, another person stepped in and let me know they received it and I'd have the results in a few days.

Then I heard nothing. I emailed twice and only got a reply this week. I asked if I'd have a definite result before the month is through, and they haven't replied.

Unlike most agencies, they had no NDA they wanted me to sign. Tomorrow it'll have been two weeks since the test.

They said they're only able to pay in USD and seem to favour PayPal and Payoneer over bank transfer. They mentioned nothing about what program they use or much details about the job. But they said one would go through training if accepted. I don't know if that would be paid or not.

Has anyone else been approached by them and do you think they're legit?



They NEVER reply.


Thayenga
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorii acestui forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this offer legit?







Draftsmith
Edit Translations Faster With Affordable AI You Can Trust

Draftsmith is an affordable AI editing tool for busy translators. It works directly in Microsoft Word, supporting the way you work ProZ members receive a 20% discount on a single user subscription of Draftsmith.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »