Număr de pagini:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: Which internet browser do you use most often?
Inițiatorul discuției: ProZ.com Staff
Marie Halvorsen
Marie Halvorsen
Statele Unite
Local time: 09:17
din engleză în daneză
New to FireFox Aug 9, 2007

A few weeks ago, my IE started to crash constantly for no apparent reason. I had the latest version and even downloaded it again, but it still would not work for more than a few minutes at a time.

So I downloaded FF and I love it. No problems anymore.

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
Regatul Unit
Local time: 15:17
din engleză în poloneză
Firefox Aug 9, 2007

...and Opera occasionally.

I don't even have IE, but even if I would - I wouldn't use it even if they pay me Too unsecure and too limited in options.
Too many "even", I know

Anni

Mara Ballarini
Mara Ballarini  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 00:17
Membru (2006)
din engleză în italiană
+ ...
IE, but... Aug 9, 2007

sorry for my limited knowledge, but I had never thought of changing browser, nor of the reasons for doing it or how to do it. However, after having read a few comments from the colleagues and having found that firefox is downloadable for free, I'd like to try it. Do you reckon the new Mozilla Firefox is what I should go for?
Thank you everybody for all the good tips anyway!!!
Mara

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:17
din engleză în franceză
+ ...
SlimBrowser Aug 9, 2007

It is awesome at filtering popups and it has a nice feature where you can group bookmarks to different sites and you can then open the group of bookmarks with one click. Being a tabbed browser, this is great for when you want to open the gazillion dictionary and translation-related sites you use while translating. It also has an auto-login feature that stores login info and when you visit sites you added to you logon list, it automatically logs you in, without even needing a cookie. So, you can ... See more
It is awesome at filtering popups and it has a nice feature where you can group bookmarks to different sites and you can then open the group of bookmarks with one click. Being a tabbed browser, this is great for when you want to open the gazillion dictionary and translation-related sites you use while translating. It also has an auto-login feature that stores login info and when you visit sites you added to you logon list, it automatically logs you in, without even needing a cookie. So, you can safely delete all of your cookies but you will still automatically login where you need to.Collapse

IE simply because ...... Aug 10, 2007

I tried Firefox simply because I was influenced by someone who hate IE.
Lo, it turned out this stuff is a lousy partner for those who needs Asian language (in my case, Japanese, but then on what occassions and how, I wouldn't dare to recall).

Therefore, so far I am happy with IE, unless there has been a great improvement in Firefox into this area since.

BTW, I never heard about all other that are mentioned.

Natalia Zudaire
Natalia Zudaire  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:17
Membru (2004)
din engleză în spaniolă
+ ...
Try IE Tab Aug 10, 2007

Fernando Walker wrote:

The problem with Firefox is that sometimes can not load certain elements of web pages.

Fer:
Try adding the IE Tab Extension. Just go to http://ietab.mozdev.org/ and once you have installed it, you can right click on "Mostrar la página con IE Tab" and it shows you the webpage with an IE embedded on your Firefox.

I am a big Firefox fan, and I run the following extensions: IE Tab, of course, FireFTP, PDFDownload, DownloadThemAll, AdBlock Plus, FoxClocks, FoxMarks, URL link, GMail Manager, Image Zoom, and Fast Video Download.

Natalia

Julia Esrom
Julia Esrom  Identity Verified
Germania
Local time: 16:17
din germană în engleză
+ ...
Firefox and IE - security? Aug 10, 2007

I switched from IE to Firefox for a while, just to see what the hype was about. The option of keeping several tabs open in one window is very nice. However, I have some questions about security. The assumption seems to be that Firefox is safer. I read otherwise when I researched both, but that was a while ago and I have no idea where I read it... This link
http://www.smokinggun.de/?p=152
has
... See more
I switched from IE to Firefox for a while, just to see what the hype was about. The option of keeping several tabs open in one window is very nice. However, I have some questions about security. The assumption seems to be that Firefox is safer. I read otherwise when I researched both, but that was a while ago and I have no idea where I read it... This link
http://www.smokinggun.de/?p=152
has an interesting comment about security (see the highlighted gray box - that part is in English). I also use Norton Security which has a fraud protection feature linked to IE. I wonder how the security level compares now. For now, I keep using IE for anything that requires a higher level of security.
Collapse

zkt
zkt  Identity Verified
Liban
Local time: 17:17
din engleză în arabă
+ ...
Opera Aug 10, 2007

Hello Everybody,

Aren't there any Opera addict here?

I just love its features for surfing combinig also a mail program

I am curious by nature so sometimes while surfing I come across something interesting whether a quotation a definition or anything I can keep a note in conjunction with a Web site to refer to later.
You can save browsing sessions for later reviewing
plus if you accidentally close a tab you can retrieve it from the trash can and
... See more
Hello Everybody,

Aren't there any Opera addict here?

I just love its features for surfing combinig also a mail program

I am curious by nature so sometimes while surfing I come across something interesting whether a quotation a definition or anything I can keep a note in conjunction with a Web site to refer to later.
You can save browsing sessions for later reviewing
plus if you accidentally close a tab you can retrieve it from the trash can and many other things

Zeina

[Edited at 2007-08-10 07:23]
Collapse

Angeliki Papadopoulou
Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Grecia
Local time: 17:17
din engleză în greacă
+ ...
I use FF on my PC... Aug 10, 2007

...and Safari on my Mac. I find both quicker and safer to use, although there are one or two websites that will only operate properly through IE (worse luck...). I have a gmail account for email, so I do not use Outlook or Thunderbird.

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spania
din spaniolă în engleză
+ ...
FF fan Aug 10, 2007

I found IE 7 to be a complete pain in the neck. Its safety features were more of a nightmare than a help. I am now a convinced FF fan.

[Editado a las 2007-08-10 08:55]

Saifa (X)
Saifa (X)
din germană în franceză
+ ...
Opera and Mozilla Aug 10, 2007

Hello everybody,

As I was working as an employee, we were not allow to use IE for safety reasons, so I got used to browse with Mozilla suite.
In the meanwhile, I prefer surfing with Opera as it is faster, but I still use Mozilla regularly for the pages which Opera can not open, and I mail with Thunderbird only.

LinguaLab.net
LinguaLab.net
Regatul Unit
Local time: 15:17
din engleză în norvegiană
+ ...
Opera Aug 10, 2007

I mainly use Opera - like everything else from Norway, it's brilliant!

I love their new speed dial feature, and how it remembers which pages you had open last time you were online - it saves a LOT of time!

[Edited at 2007-08-10 10:39]

Fernando D. Walker
Fernando D. Walker  Identity Verified

Local time: 11:17
din engleză în spaniolă
+ ...
Thanks Natalia! I appreciate your help!!! Aug 10, 2007

Natalia Zudaire wrote:

Fernando Walker wrote:

The problem with Firefox is that sometimes can not load certain elements of web pages.

Fer:
Try adding the IE Tab Extension. Just go to http://ietab.mozdev.org/ and once you have installed it, you can right click on "Mostrar la página con IE Tab" and it shows you the webpage with an IE embedded on your Firefox.

I am a big Firefox fan, and I run the following extensions: IE Tab, of course, FireFTP, PDFDownload, DownloadThemAll, AdBlock Plus, FoxClocks, FoxMarks, URL link, GMail Manager, Image Zoom, and Fast Video Download.

Natalia

I like Firefox very much but I did not use it because of that. Now, I have the solution. Thank you!
Fernando

KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 00:17
din japoneză în engleză
No problem with FF and Asian fonts Aug 10, 2007

Susan Koyama-Steele wrote:

Lo, it turned out this stuff is a lousy partner for those who needs Asian language (in my case, Japanese, but then on what occassions and how, I wouldn't dare to recall).

Firefox works just fine with Japanese. You don't mention how long ago you tried, but I have been using FF for several years now and have never had a problem in this regard.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
germană
+ ...
Firefox and Opera Aug 11, 2007

I used to use Opera (and loved it for its speed and handling - the mouse gestures feature is great), but due to the continuing incompatibility issues with various web sites, I'm switching over to Firefox.

I've been using FF for quite a while now, with the AdBlock Plus, IETabs, MouseGestures and TabMixPlus addons. And it feels almost like Opera now - I think I'll stay with FF for good.

And Internet Explorer...well, don't get me started on that. ... See more
I used to use Opera (and loved it for its speed and handling - the mouse gestures feature is great), but due to the continuing incompatibility issues with various web sites, I'm switching over to Firefox.

I've been using FF for quite a while now, with the AdBlock Plus, IETabs, MouseGestures and TabMixPlus addons. And it feels almost like Opera now - I think I'll stay with FF for good.

And Internet Explorer...well, don't get me started on that.

B
Collapse

Număr de pagini:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorii acestui forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which internet browser do you use most often?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »