Număr de pagini:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you usually deliver your work as soon as it is complete?
Inițiatorul discuției: ProZ.com Staff
Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 23:35
Membru (2006)
din engleză în hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Normally yes Mar 16, 2015

And there are reasons.

I have learned from hard experience that there is much truth in the saying, there is many a slip between the cup and the lip. Once I had waited for the stated deadline before delivering the work although I had finished a couple of days earlier, and the unthinkable happened - the computer crashed! If I had delivered the translation the moment it was done, I would not have had to do it all over again, and I would not have missed the deadline by several days. At
... See more
And there are reasons.

I have learned from hard experience that there is much truth in the saying, there is many a slip between the cup and the lip. Once I had waited for the stated deadline before delivering the work although I had finished a couple of days earlier, and the unthinkable happened - the computer crashed! If I had delivered the translation the moment it was done, I would not have had to do it all over again, and I would not have missed the deadline by several days. At another time, it was internet outage that made me miss the deadline. Had I submitted the file as soon as I had done it, I would have beaten the outage by a day or two.

But this does not work with one client of mine, who, although a reasonably good client, is not very organized. He would send a job with a set of instructions, and invariably change the instructions at least a couple of times before he finished with it. So I don't find any gain in sending the translated file to him earlier than the deadline, knowing that the file will most likely come back to me with some or the other changes requested.

Regarding the point made by others that outsources then get into the habit of demanding the translation yesterday, I tackle that by evaluating my current workload and setting my own deadline, to which in most cases they agree. If they can't, or won't, well, then, too bad, they can find another translator!
Collapse

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
Statele Unite
Local time: 12:05
din spaniolă în engleză
+ ...
Normally, yes Mar 16, 2015

The only times that I have waited before sending in a finished project is simply because I want to go over it again (for the fourth or fifth time). Otherwise I try to get my projects off of my board as fast as professionally possible in order to make room for new projects

Gabriella Vento
Gabriella Vento  Identity Verified
Statele Unite
Local time: 11:05
Membru (2015)
din engleză în maghiară
+ ...
My thoughts exacly Mar 16, 2015

Ivo Jurasek wrote:

Sometimes the deadline is so tight that the work is constant - read, translate, proofread, re-read, send. When the deadline is not so tight, I like to re-read the proofread text the following day, to 'sleep on it'. Usually I don't make any changes on the last reading, but it helped me to spot minor deficiencies a few times and contributed to slightly higher quality of the target text. Leaving some time, at least a day, between finishing/proofreading your own text and re-reading it before submitting is IMHO a very good thing to do.

I voted "yes", but I do "sleep on it", too - whenever the deadline allows me to do so.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazilia
Local time: 15:05
Membru (2014)
din engleză în portugheză
+ ...
But of course! Mar 17, 2015

Yetta J Bogarde wrote:

of course!

Why would anybody not do that??

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japonia
Local time: 03:05
Membru (2011)
din japoneză în engleză
Yes Mar 17, 2015

Because I want to get the project out of the way. Besides, there might be a lightning strike in a few minutes time and the inrush current will fry your hard disk and wipe out all the work you're about to deliver.

Always expect the unexpected to happen!

Added last line

[Edited at 2015-03-17 08:26 GMT]

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Polonia
Local time: 20:05
din engleză în poloneză
+ ...
No Mar 22, 2015

I take time to proofread it again or review it the day after unless I know that's not necessary, then I might deliver early. But I don't want to deliver too early and teach the client some bad habits while undermining the rationale behind rush rates at the same time in his mind.

Număr de pagini:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorii acestui forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you usually deliver your work as soon as it is complete?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »