Thread poster: Andrew Wright (X)
Andrew Wright (X)
Andrew Wright (X)
United States
Local time: 02:06
English
Feb 9, 2006

Hello forum goers,

Later today I will be migrating the Ukrainian forum to using Unicode. Here is the information you'll need to know:

* The headers of all pages for the forum will have the character set specified as "Unicode (UTF-8)". As long as your browser has unicode support this will be automatically picked up and used, you should not have to change anything manually.

* All old posts already in Unicode or in the roman english character will remain unc
... See more
Hello forum goers,

Later today I will be migrating the Ukrainian forum to using Unicode. Here is the information you'll need to know:

* The headers of all pages for the forum will have the character set specified as "Unicode (UTF-8)". As long as your browser has unicode support this will be automatically picked up and used, you should not have to change anything manually.

* All old posts already in Unicode or in the roman english character will remain unchanged as these are compatible with the new system.

* All old posts using single-byte character sets are pulled from the database as they were before, but the system will attempt to automatically convert them into Unicode before they are sent to your browser for display.

This won't work for 100% of all posts, some of them will be incorrectly converted. For these posts you will find a link below the garbled text reading "Is the text in this post garbled? Click here". Following this link will bring you to a dailogue to help us determine what character set the text was in so we can convert it into Unicode.

If the text was converted correctly it helps us if you click on the link labeled "Is the text in this post legible? Click here". This link will mark the text as having been converted correctly without needing to leave the page. Texts marked in this way will be permanently converted into Unicode.

For more information on Unicode see the recently revised character set FAQ here:

http://www.proz.com/faq/localization

If you encounter any problems or have any unanswered questions feel free to post in this topic or send me a message directly.

Andrew Wright
Site Staff
Collapse

Oleg Prots
Oleg Prots  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 09:06
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Two issues Feb 20, 2006

1. In this topic (http://www.proz.com/post/233865#233865) I have accidentally clicked the wrong button in the title - I confirmed the wrong encoding instead of correcting it. Can this be fixed somehow? (Sorry for the extra piece of manual work)

2. In the same topic, the last post seems to be in KOI-8U, and this is not available as a conversion option.
KOI-8U is an encoding very
... See more
1. In this topic (http://www.proz.com/post/233865#233865) I have accidentally clicked the wrong button in the title - I confirmed the wrong encoding instead of correcting it. Can this be fixed somehow? (Sorry for the extra piece of manual work)

2. In the same topic, the last post seems to be in KOI-8U, and this is not available as a conversion option.
KOI-8U is an encoding very similar to KOI-8R, but it handles all Ukrainian characters correctly, which 8R doesn't.
Could we please have KOI-8U instead of KOI-8R as conversion option for the Ukrainian forum/KudoZ? Again, sorry for not having mentioned it earlier - it just slipped out of my mind...

Many thanks in advance,
Oleg
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Migrating forum to unicode

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »