Inițiatorul discuției: murat Karahan
murat Karahan
murat Karahan  Identity Verified
Turcia
Local time: 17:17
din engleză în turcă
+ ...
Dec 12, 2004

...and not necessarily experience. Though we may well learn through performing our profession there are always many examples we can see in the kudoz and forum sections of proz which clearly indicate a stagnation in the development process of translators or worse, total ignorance. Ignorance in terms of having none or inadequate information about our profession.
I can say from my own personal experience as a translation student and now a teacher of sophomore students that many students under
... See more
...and not necessarily experience. Though we may well learn through performing our profession there are always many examples we can see in the kudoz and forum sections of proz which clearly indicate a stagnation in the development process of translators or worse, total ignorance. Ignorance in terms of having none or inadequate information about our profession.
I can say from my own personal experience as a translation student and now a teacher of sophomore students that many students undergo a similar process. Those of you who are much wiser about translation now, than they were at the start of their careers could tell me if I'm wrong or not. The more you know about translation the more tolerant you get when it comes to evaluating translations (i.e. peer grades in kudoz questions). That's simply because you leave behind a black and white world where translation is merely a transfer between languages and a translation (even if it's only one word) is either right or wrong, with nothing in between. You make your way up to a more colourful realm of translation, one with many shades, many possibilities and where the translation is a process which involves among many things the cleverness, creativity, reflection, ingenuity of the translator. Some of us may stop along the way, some may not start at all, some may reach the 'top' to find new summits to conquer. And translator education provides necessary tools and to some extent skills which speed up the journey and make it less painful.
Translation studies, or translatology doesn't have a long history and you can see from the main fora page that says "translation art and business" which is a clear example of how many times it is neglected or in some instances even feared. Translatology is still a rugrat compared to other old disciplines and many different schools exist. In the Americas you may read the works of translation theorists such as Jean Delisle, Paul Kussmaul, E. Nida) but may have never heard of Gideon Thoury, Hans Vermeer, Mona Baker. All their works provide us an insight into our profession which is now beyond the scope of linguistics. Although many translation theorists comment mainly on literary translation (IMO), which is very natural since they have a linguistics background, we may expect the next generation to cover wider areas where translation is applied.
To sum up, or in order not to leap to different topics (sorry if I did already ) becoming more informed about translation equals many times being more tolerant about the translation of others and it also changes the tone of the criticism. Tolerance doesn't translate as "no criticism" but there's a difference between saying "you're deadly wrong" and "your translation is not appropriate because..."
P.S. I have put this posting under off-topic because I couldn't find an appropriate topic to place it. Is there anyone up to this challenge?

[Edited at 2004-12-12 20:19]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorii acestui forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The key to tolerance is knowledge...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »