Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
First experience from the new 2022 Trados version upgraded from the 2021?
Thread poster: Laurent Di Raimondo
Laurent Di Raimondo
Laurent Di Raimondo  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:52
English to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Jun 29, 2022

Dear Colleagues,

As many of you, I use Trados (Freelance 2021 version) and I work with this tool (among others) on a daily basis.

I wonder whether it's worth to upgrade it to the latest 2022 version.

Have any of you already experienced this new version? Does it really improve all fonctionalities already implemented in the 2021 version and provide true improvements?

In short, is the game worth the candle?

I would be glad to get your
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

As many of you, I use Trados (Freelance 2021 version) and I work with this tool (among others) on a daily basis.

I wonder whether it's worth to upgrade it to the latest 2022 version.

Have any of you already experienced this new version? Does it really improve all fonctionalities already implemented in the 2021 version and provide true improvements?

In short, is the game worth the candle?

I would be glad to get your first experience and feedback.

Yours.

[Modifié le 2022-06-30 04:12 GMT]
Collapse

Dan Lucas

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:52
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes, it is worth it. Jun 30, 2022

I've been using Trados Studio 2022 daily, and am really enjoying it. And this is saying something, as I have always been a real Trados/SDL hater

There are all sorts of useful new changes, but off the top of my head … one thing that they have improved is the Preview system, which now works flawlessly, which is something that was bugging me for years, and which I complained about over & over & over. Activating the prev
... See more
I've been using Trados Studio 2022 daily, and am really enjoying it. And this is saying something, as I have always been a real Trados/SDL hater

There are all sorts of useful new changes, but off the top of my head … one thing that they have improved is the Preview system, which now works flawlessly, which is something that was bugging me for years, and which I complained about over & over & over. Activating the preview window used to cause all kinds of issues where the cursor would disappear for like 5 seconds every time you moved to the next segment. This problem has finally been totally fixed. The preview window now uses a totally different underlying technology and works a treat.

If I have time I will come back here and update this post if I can think of any other useful new changes!

Michael
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Thomas McConochie

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 17:52
English to Thai
+ ...
Installation of Trados 2021 with Trados 2022 Jul 3, 2022

I was advised that I had better not install Trados 2021 and Trados 2022 on the same Windows OS at the same time. Trados says nothing to this. Do we have other ideas or experience?

Soonthon L.

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:52
Member (2009)
French to English
Why both? Jul 3, 2022

I'm not sure why you would want to install both Trados 2021 and 2022. Among other things, the upgrade price is going to be a much better deal and you have to surrender your license for the previous software to get that.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:52
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Good to hear Jul 3, 2022

Michael Beijer wrote:
If I have time I will come back here and update this post if I can think of any other useful new changes!

Thank you Laurent and Michael for this. I am still on 2019 and happy enough with that. Having seen various issues - including some that would for me be showstoppers - on the official forum I haven't made a move yet, but it's good to hear some feedback from real users. I never use the preview function, except inadvertently when I hit the keyboard shortcut, but I'm hoping there will be other improvements.

Perhaps I'll upgrade at SP1...

Regards,
Dan

Robert Rietvelt

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
I do have both Jul 3, 2022

Jenn Mercer wrote:

I'm not sure why you would want to install both Trados 2021 and 2022. Among other things, the upgrade price is going to be a much better deal and you have to surrender your license for the previous software to get that.

Both, that is Studio 2021 and 2022. Firstly, I kept 2021 in case something went wrong with the installation of 2022 (and actually things didn't go smoothly), secondly, we do have the right to keep the older version without having to give back your licence, at least in my experience.

Dan Lucas
Stepan Konev
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Elena Feriani
Simon Foakes

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:52
English to Russian
Surrender but not deactivate Jul 3, 2022

Jenn Mercer wrote:
you have to surrender your license for the previous software to get that.
Even though you have to surrender your current license, Trados still remains activated. I am not sure about the 2022 version, but previous versions worked so that you always could activate the previous version with the newer license. When 2021 was released, its license was also valid for 2019, etc.

Sinan Pat

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
New Jul 7, 2022

Michael Beijer wrote:

Michael

In the meantime you can watch this video:

https://bit.ly/3uxe0q1

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
I received a message today that... Jul 9, 2022

... upgrading from Studio 2017 will be discontinued starting in September. Therefore, I will be forced to upgrade or else have to purchase a whole new license ($700-$980).

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
There are always offers and discounts Jul 10, 2022

On year's end and other occasions there are always offers and discounts, sometimes down to half a price.

If you don't really need to upgrade, you can wait.

Dan Lucas

Laurent Di Raimondo
Laurent Di Raimondo  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Just purchased the 2022 version Jul 10, 2022

Thank you guys for all your relevant contributions to this thread.

In the mean time, I must confess that I've recently brought myself to purchase the upgraded 2022 version of Trados, albeit without a bit of apprehension given all bugs that made Trados a bad name for long and - what's more - almost a trademark of this kind.

And I do absolutely not regret this leap in the dark!

Trados 2022 version turns out indeed to be much more faster and flawless than I co
... See more
Thank you guys for all your relevant contributions to this thread.

In the mean time, I must confess that I've recently brought myself to purchase the upgraded 2022 version of Trados, albeit without a bit of apprehension given all bugs that made Trados a bad name for long and - what's more - almost a trademark of this kind.

And I do absolutely not regret this leap in the dark!

Trados 2022 version turns out indeed to be much more faster and flawless than I could never have thought in my fool dreams!

I've been testing and working on that new upgraded version for more than 100 hours so far and I didn't face any Trados trademark's bug nor any disruption. But fingers crossed!

First of all, the usual dashboard from previous versions has got no significant changes, so that "old users" like you and me can't lose their bearings at all with this new version.

But the most noticeable change with this new version is the amazing speed and the instant response of the software to any query - being specified that I've not change my laptop in between.

No bugs nor endless error messages around the corner so far. Everything works like clockwork and it's a great pleasure to rediscover with new eyes a CAT tool that has been a nightmare for generations of translators.

I must humbly admit that Trados teams have made a huge work in this new version and this mere fact needed to be publicly noticed - save for the RWS App which is still out of order, but you may enjoy the Private App that has just been implemented to bypass the current disruption.

In short, I absolutely don't regret my investment whether in terms of costs or high productivity.

Trados 2022 is really worth the candle - and the price. About time too!

I would like to add that I have no financial interest in Trados Company nor elsewhere with their affiliated entities and - what's more - that I've been by the past one of the harshest critics of Trados Trademark as a longtime practitioner.

Only idiots never change their mind, don't they?...

Best to you all.

[Modifié le 2022-07-11 07:26 GMT]
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Philippe Noth

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Soonthon, better to upgrade now Jul 10, 2022

Yossi Rozenman wrote:
On year's end and other occasions there are always offers and discounts, sometimes down to half a price.

Half-price offers are rare, though. The most recent special offer (via ProZ.com group buy) was for EUR 485, which is still EUR 200 more than the current upgrade price from Trados 2017. In 2017 there was a TGB offer for EUR 415, which is close to half-price (but then, you never pay full price via the Trados web site anyway).

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Curious. Jul 11, 2022

Laurent Di Raimondo wrote:
Everything works like clockwork and it's a great pleasure to rediscover with new eyes a CAT tool that has been a nightmare for generations of translators.

It's curious how experiences can be different. I'm working with Trados for over 22 years now (and at least 95% of everything I translate is done through Trados, so it has become kind of my 'pal') and I actually have never had any critical issues so far. Yes, there has been the occasional error message, but actually never anything that really drove me crazy because it made me impossible to work properly. I have to add that I'm still working with the 2019 version, so I don't know anything about the 2021 version.

Christine Andersen

Alexandre Tissot
Alexandre Tissot  Identity Verified
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
Trados Studio 2022 App, Guide and Installation Aug 18, 2022

Good evening everyone!

How are you?

I own a Trados Studio 2019 version on a Windows 10 desktop and laptop and I am tempted to purchase an upgrade to Trados Studio 2022.

However, I have been told that an app was needed to manage it. I was wondering why because, normally, you manage, create, translate, proofread and deliver your projects on a desktop computer and/or a laptop and not through an app installed on a mobile phone for instance unless I did not unde
... See more
Good evening everyone!

How are you?

I own a Trados Studio 2019 version on a Windows 10 desktop and laptop and I am tempted to purchase an upgrade to Trados Studio 2022.

However, I have been told that an app was needed to manage it. I was wondering why because, normally, you manage, create, translate, proofread and deliver your projects on a desktop computer and/or a laptop and not through an app installed on a mobile phone for instance unless I did not understand the idea. So, my first question is: is the app mandatory and easy to use and if clients send projects created and/or return packages from previous Trados Studio versions, will they be supported by Trados Studio 2022?

My second and last question relates to the installation procedure of the tool: shall the linguists resend their previous version codes to SDL platform and/or uninstall the previous version before downloading, installing and setting up their Trados Studio 2022 version before using it or has the procedure changed in the meantime?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Alexandre
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Perhaps the app is an option? Aug 18, 2022

Alexandre Tissot wrote:
However, I have been told that an app was needed to manage it. I was wondering why because, normally, you manage, create, translate, proofread and deliver your projects on a desktop computer and/or a laptop and not through an app installed on a mobile phone for instance unless I did not understand the idea. So, my first question is: is the app mandatory and easy to use and if clients send projects created and/or return packages from previous Trados Studio versions, will they be supported by Trados Studio 2022?

I have used Studio 2022 for some time now, and this is the first I've heard about any app should be needed. In short, I am not using any app, and Studio 2022 works just fine. I wonder if you perhaps are thinking of the following:
"Enjoy the flexibility to work wherever, whenever and however you like by using Studio's cloud capabilities."
This is not a mobile app, but an online app that you can work in. I have not used it, though, so I don't know if there is any advantage in it or not.

Regarding project packages I am receiving them from my agencies all the time, and I have not experienced any problem with that.

My second and last question relates to the installation procedure of the tool: shall the linguists resend their previous version codes to SDL platform and/or uninstall the previous version before downloading, installing and setting up their Trados Studio 2022 version before using it or has the procedure changed in the meantime?

My understanding is that you do not have to remove the previous version you have installed, but it will be bound to the PC. In short, you can't move earlier versions of Studio to other PCs.

Roy

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

First experience from the new 2022 Trados version upgraded from the 2021?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »