Help with loading IATE's terminology package into Cafetran.
Thread poster: Lisandro Johnston
Lisandro Johnston
Lisandro Johnston  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:11
Member (2023)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 5, 2023

Hi!

Recently I acquired IATE's terminology package for my main language pair, but since I'm not very familiar with CafeTran I'm trying to figure out how to load the .csv files into a glossary or translation memory, and I haven't found much information online.

Could I get some tips/instructions on how to make it work? Thank you!

[Edited at 2023-04-05 17:12 GMT]

Laurent Di Raimondo
Laurent Di Raimondo  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:11
English to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Convert the .cvs file into a .txt file Apr 5, 2023

Dear Lisandro,

Since CafeTran doesn't support *.cvs files, you must first convert your IATE file into a *.txt file format. You may achieve this process with help of any downloadable tool on line, such as "Glossary Converter" (which is a common freeware). Rest assured: The conversion process won't erase your original file.

Then, after opening up CafeTran, just add your IATE *.txt file into the "Glossaries(TXT)" window (in your Dashboard) by clicking "New glossary" and se
... See more
Dear Lisandro,

Since CafeTran doesn't support *.cvs files, you must first convert your IATE file into a *.txt file format. You may achieve this process with help of any downloadable tool on line, such as "Glossary Converter" (which is a common freeware). Rest assured: The conversion process won't erase your original file.

Then, after opening up CafeTran, just add your IATE *.txt file into the "Glossaries(TXT)" window (in your Dashboard) by clicking "New glossary" and select the right path. I recommand to put your IATE.txt file into the main file containing all your CafeTran ressources, such as your Translation Memories (in .tmx format) and all your glossaries (in .txt format).

Once done, if you want to start working with IATE Glossary on a given project, don't forget to tick its corresponding box into the "Glossaries(TXT)" window, with any other glossary you want to use alongside.

I hope it would help out and run like clockwork.

Regards.

[Modifié le 2023-04-05 18:27 GMT]
Collapse

Edson Oliveira
Lisandro Johnston

Lisandro Johnston
Lisandro Johnston  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:11
Member (2023)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 5, 2023

Thank you, Laurent! That seems to have worked perfectly.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TBX Apr 6, 2023

Data can be downloaded in TBX (TermBase eXchange, ISO 30042:2019) or CSV format

Let us test if the TBX can be loaded directly into CafeTran Espresso, without the use of Windows software like Glossary Converter ...

(This can be important for users of other operating systems than Windows.)

EDIT: Not possible yet. I'll open a ticket at the CafeTran Freshdesk.

[Edited at 2023-04-06 07:57 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with loading IATE's terminology package into Cafetran.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »