Translation of "lu et approuvé" et "bon pour accord" necessary
Thread poster: eva75
eva75
eva75
English
+ ...
Aug 23, 2005

These two terms seem to have no real equivalent in English. I keep coming across them in documents just before the signature at the end. In English, is it normal practice to only write the signature and not precede it with "read and approved" or "approved", the terms suggested in KudoZ, or can I just ignore them completely?

Bruce Popp
Bruce Popp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:21
French to English
can't omit Aug 23, 2005

I have never seen or heard of these terms (or some equivalent) being used in the US.

However a person reading the translation who is familiar with French business practice might know to expect them and wonder if they weren't there, so they can't be omitted from the translation.

FWIW

Bruce

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:21
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Agree with Bruce, Aug 23, 2005

you cannot omit them. It might sound a bit awkward; however, the client would know that the original document is a foreign one and it is in that particular foreign culture to use these expressions at the end of a document.
Monika

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:21
French to Spanish
+ ...
Why... Aug 23, 2005

...don't you ask in KudoZ Term Translation Questions?
Luck.

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:21
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Legal docs Oct 21, 2005

Hi Eva,
As it's probably a contract or other legal document it should be as faithful to the original as possible so you should translate both phrases as well as including "Illegible stamp" and "Illegible signature" wherever they appear.

[Edited at 2005-10-21 13:36]

Daryo

prinjon
prinjon
English to French
+ ...
If a contract appliable within France Feb 24, 2008

In France, the meaning of "Bon pour accord" or "Read and approved" are not exactly the same :
- the first one is written in order to be sure the customer do agree on the fact that approving and signing such document will launch the service thus agreeing to pay whatever should happen then.
- the second expression rather means that all particular terms of the contract have especially been understood, showing no backlash should happen because of misunderstanding in word or expression me
... See more
In France, the meaning of "Bon pour accord" or "Read and approved" are not exactly the same :
- the first one is written in order to be sure the customer do agree on the fact that approving and signing such document will launch the service thus agreeing to pay whatever should happen then.
- the second expression rather means that all particular terms of the contract have especially been understood, showing no backlash should happen because of misunderstanding in word or expression meanings, due for instance of the vocabulary of the field of work.

Hope this help.

I do use "Approved" for easiest understanding (US and G.B) but "Read and approved" if ever you wish that all of the contract should have been read in a compulsory way.
Collapse

blueginger
blueginger
To Jo - illegible signature ??? Jul 12, 2010

Jo, isn't this a spelling mistake ?

Illegible means impossible to read - I guess you mean elegible (as in appropriate or approved signatory). Am I right ?

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Local time: 03:21
French to English
+ ...
Since nobody has replied to you in 9 years... Dec 29, 2019

She did mean "illegible". Sometimes contracts have things written on them that are impossible to read, such as a company stamp. In such circumstances, it is important to add a note in square brackets stating that something is illegible.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of "lu et approuvé" et "bon pour accord" necessary

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »