Moving to the UK - Is it really necessary to get an apostille for a birth certificate?
Thread poster: Cherith Thompson (X)
Cherith Thompson (X)
Cherith Thompson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:25
French to English
+ ...
Jul 29, 2020

Hello everyone,

A friend of mine will be moving to the UK shortly and is unsure about how to go about translating his Brazilian birth certificate.

He is considering getting an Apostille for the certificate before translating. Is this really necessary for moving to the UK? Wouldn't a certified translation suffice?

(Just to be clear, my friend has not yet been asked to provide an apostille - he is considering this in case he's asked for it in the future an
... See more
Hello everyone,

A friend of mine will be moving to the UK shortly and is unsure about how to go about translating his Brazilian birth certificate.

He is considering getting an Apostille for the certificate before translating. Is this really necessary for moving to the UK? Wouldn't a certified translation suffice?

(Just to be clear, my friend has not yet been asked to provide an apostille - he is considering this in case he's asked for it in the future and because it may be better to get it done before he leaves his home country.)

What experiences have you had with this type of situation?

Many thanks
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I would suggest Jul 29, 2020

I would suggest making more enquiries in the UK. For all its many faults, the UK is far less bureaucratic than other countries. Your friend could start here:

https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised

There are also private companies that offer these services commercially
... See more
I would suggest making more enquiries in the UK. For all its many faults, the UK is far less bureaucratic than other countries. Your friend could start here:

https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised

There are also private companies that offer these services commercially, such as...

https://www.apostille.org.uk/

There are also various Brazilian community groups in the UK, who probably know all about this.

[Edited at 2020-07-29 10:15 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:25
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Cherith Jul 29, 2020

Cherith Thompson wrote:
He is considering getting an Apostille for the certificate before translating. Is this really necessary for moving to the UK?

I don't know what the correct procedure is, but here's a tip: when getting an apostille'd document translated, make sure the translator knows that he should not cut the ribbon! Not all translators and copy shops know what an apostille'd document is, and I have experience of some who believed (and acted) that the ribbon was simply there for decoration.

[Edited at 2020-07-29 13:37 GMT]

Liviu-Lee Roth

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Cherith Jul 29, 2020

I would advise your friend to get in touch with the British Embassy in Brazil but in this coronavirus era I don't know if they are working...

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:25
French to English
Seek official and up-to-date sources Jul 30, 2020

I've worked on a fair number of jobs where official requirements (certificate, legalisation, apostille, etc.) have to be met.
This cannot and should not be improvised. Official and up to date sources are the only ones that matter. Official embassy websites usually provide information online. Always make sure the info is up to date though.

Cherith Thompson (X)
Cherith Thompson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 31, 2020

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your comments. I’ve passed them on to him.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moving to the UK - Is it really necessary to get an apostille for a birth certificate?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »