Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Translation competence: what's your list?
Thread poster: Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Apples and oranges Dec 19, 2017

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:
market realities often take us to be bidirectional in our translations. And I'm not talking about current market realities. Translation bidirectionality has existed since men and women started to translate.

Any translator worth their salt will know, or quickly learn, how and when to say no to clients. Whatever the "market reality" might be, the "individual reality" is that nobody can force you to do anything you don't want to do, and certainly shouldn't be able to force you to do things you don't think you can do well enough. Of course it's good to expand your horizons and do things tomorrow that you couldn't do yesterday, but just because a state of affairs exists doesn't make it right for each and every translator.

Bidirectionality in translation is a time-honored practice. Of course, it happens (or it is needed) more in some places than in others. I wasn't talking about saying yes when I should say no, or whether someone is forcing me to do something I'm not qualified for. I was talking about bidirectionality.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation competence: what's your list?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »