Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:23
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 24, 2017

To those who translate from Hebrew, do you have a standard multiplication factor that you use when calculating your rates compared to other languages you translate from?

From a quick research I found that many Hebrew texts are ca. 25% shorter than English in word count in average, i.e., the same text will have roughly 4000 words in English and 3000 in Hebrew.

Any suggestions for more accurate criteria?

Grace Shalhoub
Grace Shalhoub  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:23
French to English
+ ...
Rate per source word Oct 24, 2017

I simply set a 'higher' rate per source word

Tim Friese
Tim Friese  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:23
Member (2013)
Arabic to English
+ ...
There is a big difference Oct 24, 2017

A Hebrew text can be 25% or even 33% shorter than the corresponding English text. However, it is hard to set an exact amount as it varies with text genre and your personal style.

I generally charge per English word, and I know that if I charge per Hebrew word I need to raise my rates to match. Unfortunately, some agencies don't understand the text expansion, and so they will happily agree to my lower rate in English (which works out to more for the whole project!) but reject my Hebr
... See more
A Hebrew text can be 25% or even 33% shorter than the corresponding English text. However, it is hard to set an exact amount as it varies with text genre and your personal style.

I generally charge per English word, and I know that if I charge per Hebrew word I need to raise my rates to match. Unfortunately, some agencies don't understand the text expansion, and so they will happily agree to my lower rate in English (which works out to more for the whole project!) but reject my Hebrew rate as being too high. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word count in Hebrew

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »