Should I mention that this page is a translation of the back-page?
Thread poster: Ghada Osta
Ghada Osta
Ghada Osta
United States
Arabic to English
+ ...
Sep 15, 2017

I am in the middle of translating a certificate that has stamps on the back of the page. The copy of the certificate that I will be making and that I will attach to the translation will be front and back as well.
My question is: I am planning to include a footnote that the translation page is a "translation of the back-page". Is there a better way to inform the reader about it? Should I mention it in the first place? The reader might not notice that there are stamps on the back, so by ment
... See more
I am in the middle of translating a certificate that has stamps on the back of the page. The copy of the certificate that I will be making and that I will attach to the translation will be front and back as well.
My question is: I am planning to include a footnote that the translation page is a "translation of the back-page". Is there a better way to inform the reader about it? Should I mention it in the first place? The reader might not notice that there are stamps on the back, so by mentioning it, I am basically pointing out that there is more to the certificate than the front page. Is it ok to do it this way? Any alternatives?
Any suggestions are highly appreciated!
Collapse

Marco Belcastro Bara
Marco Belcastro Bara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:19
English to Italian
+ ...
Translating a certificate that has stamps on the back of the page. Sep 15, 2017

Hello Ghada, I am Italian and I worked for the Italian Government for 26 years. Beside many things, I made copies of documents from originals. To make them complete, I always put a note on the front page telling that that page was page n. 1 of (let's say) a 2 pages document. On the copy of the back I always wrote that it was the page n. 2 of a document of 2 pages. To finish and to make it official, I put on each page a reference of the law that rule the copies of documents, I signed each copy an... See more
Hello Ghada, I am Italian and I worked for the Italian Government for 26 years. Beside many things, I made copies of documents from originals. To make them complete, I always put a note on the front page telling that that page was page n. 1 of (let's say) a 2 pages document. On the copy of the back I always wrote that it was the page n. 2 of a document of 2 pages. To finish and to make it official, I put on each page a reference of the law that rule the copies of documents, I signed each copy and put a stamp of me and of my office (on each copy), writing the day in which I gave the copies to the person that was supposed to receive them.
Hope that this will be of help.
Marco
Collapse

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:19
French to English
+ ...
Recto and verso Sep 16, 2017

If you want to make it clear that page 2 is actually the back of page 1, the usual way to do this is by marking them as recto (for the front) and verso (for the back).

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:19
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
There are many ways of dealing with this Sep 16, 2017

and it really doesn't much how you would do it. You can even translate the stamp on a separate page and the client will print the translation of the stamp on the back side of the paper.

Ghada Osta
Ghada Osta
United States
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the suggestions Sep 20, 2017

Thank you Marco for your suggestions. They are helpful in making copies, which I've done before in a previous job. In translation, I do make copies as well, but I stamp them with "certified to be a true & exact copy of original".
The translation papers are always numbered (1 of 2 and 2 of 2...) to ensure that they stay together and they are of course stamped.

B D Finch, thank you for answering my question. Yes, recto/verso is a good suggestion. I am also French educated, your
... See more
Thank you Marco for your suggestions. They are helpful in making copies, which I've done before in a previous job. In translation, I do make copies as well, but I stamp them with "certified to be a true & exact copy of original".
The translation papers are always numbered (1 of 2 and 2 of 2...) to ensure that they stay together and they are of course stamped.

B D Finch, thank you for answering my question. Yes, recto/verso is a good suggestion. I am also French educated, your suggestion made sense to me.

Jyuan_us, thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I don't see how the client can "print the translation of the stamp on the back side of the paper" and become a certified translation if it's not stamped by the translator.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I mention that this page is a translation of the back-page?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »