Amazon translation tests
Thread poster: Rosanna Lenci Murcia
Ji-Young Yoon
Ji-Young Yoon
Canada
Local time: 05:58
English to Korean
Me too Aug 9, 2018

I also went through the test (Eng-Kor) and following procedures as many people here did already. I inquired to my counterpart about any upcoming projects and was told that it depends if they have contents to localize. It sounds to me that the projects are not on a regular basis. And considering the speed of all the procedures that I've been through, I guess it's going to take another time to take any project from them.

n_aksu
n_aksu
Local time: 12:58
English to Turkish
Amazon test web link? Aug 28, 2018

Leyna wrote:

Hello~ I am trying to find the correct contacts for Amazon and Hulu in order to take the language tests for potential subtitling work (English to Japanese), but am totally at loss after searching forever on the Internet. Could any of you kindly give me a leads as to who/where to contact? It seems that work is delayed even if you pass the test, but I have a pocket of time the next few weeks and would love to apply and forget about it for a while...

Thank you!
Leyna*

Hi guys,

Can any of those who took the test please answer Leyna, this has been totally ignored. This place is for helping eachother.

I have the same problem with Leyna. Where can we apply for the test?

Thank you!

Pierrick MARIN

Lidia Turis
Lidia Turis
Italy
Local time: 10:58
English to Italian
We may never steal your job Aug 29, 2018

Victoria Britten wrote:

How did you learn about these tests? I've been Googling away and have found no link. Was this a job offer on ProZ? I'd love to know more...

Victoria and Leyna have asked a question which hasn't received an answer so far. I find this amazing!

Ada Mirasol Navarro
Ada Mirasol Navarro  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2017)
English to Spanish
+ ...
@ Victoria and Leyna Aug 29, 2018

In my case I found out about the recruitment process through a colleague that saw the offer in here.

The job posting included a long list of language combinations but it didn't appear in all the job boards. I'll explain, my pair is English into Spanish and, although the list of languages included this pair it didn't appear in my job postings (it was my colleague who pointed out the offer and the pair).

Maybe they aren't looking for any more translators right now. In an
... See more
In my case I found out about the recruitment process through a colleague that saw the offer in here.

The job posting included a long list of language combinations but it didn't appear in all the job boards. I'll explain, my pair is English into Spanish and, although the list of languages included this pair it didn't appear in my job postings (it was my colleague who pointed out the offer and the pair).

Maybe they aren't looking for any more translators right now. In any case, keep an eye on all the job postings on the site as it might appear under a different language combination.
Collapse

Jean Chao
Jean Chao  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:58
English to Chinese
+ ...
Amazon, a friendly merchandiser, an unfriendly buyer Mar 6, 2019

I call Amazon a buyer because they regard us freelance translators as their vendors.

I saw an Amazon ad here on Proz.com in May, 2018. Amazon’s main contact for their freelance translators is based in Luxemburg. I guess the summer vacation time was coming for them, so I didn’t take and pass their test till August. Then after the on-boarding in September, I was told there were no jobs for Traditional Chinese at that time. Then all of a sudden, last December, they started assig
... See more
I call Amazon a buyer because they regard us freelance translators as their vendors.

I saw an Amazon ad here on Proz.com in May, 2018. Amazon’s main contact for their freelance translators is based in Luxemburg. I guess the summer vacation time was coming for them, so I didn’t take and pass their test till August. Then after the on-boarding in September, I was told there were no jobs for Traditional Chinese at that time. Then all of a sudden, last December, they started assigned four to five machine translation editing jobs to complete weekly till January 2019. Later I found out that’s before they launched their Traditional Chinese website in Taiwan.

The job itself, as one of the colleagues pointed out, is interesting and boring at the same time. It’s interesting because I was able to see many fun products to my interest. It’s boring because it’s mechanical at times fixing some mundane errors and converting the measurement systems into metric system used in Asia. No creativity is needed for this job. Only meticulosity is required to ensure all Amazon stylistic rules are complied with. You will receive your scores for the first few assignments to check and verify if you’re good enough to continue to work with Amazon. Their offered rate for their machine translation is my usual editing rate for a piece of high-quality human translation.

After a “translator vendor” jumped through all these hurdles, he or she would be required to satisfy all their “complicated” (as one of the colleagues pointed out before) invoicing requirements. The trick is that you’ll never know why you “failed to comply” and what you need to do to make their Accounts Payable satisfied. Residing in the States, I chose US dollars as my currency without knowing that I made a big mistake. Their accounting system won’t pay you unless you chose “Euro” as your payment currency. I had to change it to Euro and wait for another four weeks for this change to be effective.

To make a long story short, I’m still waiting to get paid for jobs I did last November because I somehow violated some other unknown rules. Amazon accounting will send you a list of 15 possible problems and make you guess. Whenever accounting department personnel contacted you about your failing to comply with one of their rules, they’d send you a long list of potential issues and make you guess. Some of them kindly replied briefly if you inquired. Others just ignored your reply and make you keep guessing. Just yesterday, one of their Accounting personnel told me after their fourth attempts to pay me, they won’t take any action until I comply with their requirements. Again, the guy sent a list of 15 possible issues.

I think I’d be lucky if I start to receive my payment six to eight months after completing my first job for Amazon even though their payment term is 60 days.

I found this thread when I tried to find a place to file my complaint against their accounting department. After hearing my experience and still would like to work with Amazon as a “vendor”, please pay attention to their advertisement on Proz.com.
Collapse

Rachael Clayton

Suzanne Dufour
Suzanne Dufour
France
Italian to French
+ ...
Facebook group disappeared? Aug 21, 2020

Hello!

I was a member of the "Amazon translators" facebook group for two years, and I can't seem to find it anymore now. Have I accidentally unsubscribed? Or has it disappeared, and if so, is there a discussion place somewhere else...?

Actually, it could be a topic on the forum, couldn't it?

Nino

Annabelle Peretti wrote:

(...) please don't hesitate to join the group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/160322881071518/

When you will send your request to join the group, please indicate that you found the link on this thread.

I have created an unofficial group with the aim of gathering Amazon translators together so that we can share our doubts regarding the guidelines, pool information about different ways to translate (regular translation, post-editing, TDT), provide guidance on how to complete invoices, or just share some tips and advice. (...)

[Edited at 2020-08-21 15:27 GMT]

Antonio João Silva

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Amazon translation tests

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »