Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
Translation Project Management. Which Software?
Thread poster: Baptiste Languille (X)
Baptiste Languille (X)
Baptiste Languille (X)
Local time: 12:24
German to French
+ ...
Jan 13, 2010

Hi,

i work in a european middle stand company that is luckily enough expanding pretty fast and we are getting more and more aware of the need to start optimizing our translation processes.

We will work for the most with one company intern project manager (me) dispatching the translation jobs to various companies, the proof reading will be done by intern employees (natives).

We will have also a whole lot of mini translation projects which will
... See more
Hi,

i work in a european middle stand company that is luckily enough expanding pretty fast and we are getting more and more aware of the need to start optimizing our translation processes.

We will work for the most with one company intern project manager (me) dispatching the translation jobs to various companies, the proof reading will be done by intern employees (natives).

We will have also a whole lot of mini translation projects which will be dealed with entirely in the company by me and my natives colleagues.

It appears to me that we are going to need a flexible solution between content and project management, terminolgy management and translation memory (translation helping software).

Does somebody have a precise idea of which software is the most used in translation agencies and maybe most adapted to our needs.

The choice would be between Across, SDL Trados and Transit.

Best Regards

noborders
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
CAT vs. PM software Jan 13, 2010

Hello "noborders",
first and foremost, the tools you mention (Across, SDL Trados, and StarTransit) are all computer-aided translation tools. While all of them do have more or less extensive project management capabilities, they are primarily no project management tools. If you want to use these for project management, you will have to buy their server solutions which cost tens of thousands of Euros.

As for translation project management software, there are a few pieces you can
... See more
Hello "noborders",
first and foremost, the tools you mention (Across, SDL Trados, and StarTransit) are all computer-aided translation tools. While all of them do have more or less extensive project management capabilities, they are primarily no project management tools. If you want to use these for project management, you will have to buy their server solutions which cost tens of thousands of Euros.

As for translation project management software, there are a few pieces you can choose from:

1. Projetex (www.projetex.com): best suited for small to middle-size agencies; server-client architecture; Firebird database. Very good low-cost solution I have been using for over two years.

2. QuaHill (www.quahill.com): web-based project management solution for middle-size to large translation agencies; sold in sets including different modules. Never had a chance to try it but the testimonials I get are very positive. The highest version costs around € 3,000.

3. Project Translation (http://www.project-open.com/en/solutions/project-open-translation-mangement-system.html ): web-based project management system for all translation agency sizes; free and open-source (PHP) system core; extensions, such as the Freelance or the Financial Reports extension, have to be purchased separately.

The list is definitely not exhaustive, but i hope it helps at least a little.

[Upraveno: 2010-01-13 19:56 GMT]
Collapse

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:24
English to Russian
+ ...
As a translator Jan 13, 2010

I´ll tell you honestly that where I receive a translation to be done in Across, I do everything to extract text from Accross package I get from my client in order to translate it without Across.
I use wordfast, trados or translate the extracted in the old-fashioned way without any CAT. But the last thing for me is to translate it in Across.

It seems to be a great tool for managing projects, but …

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Extracting from Across Jan 13, 2010

Sergei Tumanov wrote:

I´ll tell you honestly that where I receive a translation to be done in Across, I do everything to extract text from Accross package I get from my client in order to translate it without Across.

Well, I know I am highjacking the thread now, but I'd be interested to know how you do that? And how do you get the translation back into Across?

Juan Martín Fernández Rowda
Juan Martín Fernández Rowda  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Suggestion Jan 28, 2010

I use http://www.clockingit.com/ to track and manage my projects. It allows you to set up translation vendors and assign them tasks, track file status (are they in translation, edition, proof, qa phase?), set deadlines, track tasks time, see graphics, etc.
It's easy to use, and Free, as opposed to the tools you mention - which in fact are just CATS, with some (weak, in my opinion) PM features.

... See more
I use http://www.clockingit.com/ to track and manage my projects. It allows you to set up translation vendors and assign them tasks, track file status (are they in translation, edition, proof, qa phase?), set deadlines, track tasks time, see graphics, etc.
It's easy to use, and Free, as opposed to the tools you mention - which in fact are just CATS, with some (weak, in my opinion) PM features.

Regarding terminology, some agencies use Multiterm, but I dare say most are still stucked with Excel spreadsheets. Both these formats can later be converted to check terminology adherence and consistency with QA tools.

For content management, I've read some days ago about this new feature from Wordpress, GlotPress, a collaborative, web-based software translation tool. (http://en.blog.wordpress.com/2009/11/19/a-new-translation-platform/)

There are many alternatives, many of them for free. I'd think carefully about what I really need before making a choice.

Feel free to drop me a msg if you need help.
Cheer,
Juan
http://www.proz.com/profile/36893
Collapse

MSzybowska
MSzybowska
English
TMS May 24, 2010

See XTRF™. This is a complete and professional tool for managing translation companies. System supports three areas of translation work:
- managing and administering all of the activities carried out by the office,
- coordinating the workflow and production process,
- managing the translation process (integration with CAT tools).

Few weeks ego XTRF launched version 2.0 with new functionalities and integrations with CAT tools (XTM, memoQ). More information about
... See more
See XTRF™. This is a complete and professional tool for managing translation companies. System supports three areas of translation work:
- managing and administering all of the activities carried out by the office,
- coordinating the workflow and production process,
- managing the translation process (integration with CAT tools).

Few weeks ego XTRF launched version 2.0 with new functionalities and integrations with CAT tools (XTM, memoQ). More information about system you can find on company website: http://www.xtrf.eu.
Collapse

Wiliam T. Ribeiro (X)
Wiliam T. Ribeiro (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:24
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Suggestion May 25, 2010

Hi
You should consider test XTRF-XTM, it is an online Customer, TM, Terminology, Translation environment. You are able to manage customers, translators, project, TM and Terminology.

We are using it for our all projects we have our agency in Brazil.

By the way, it is cheaper and better than SDL Trados, Across, and other (in m point of view). It is worth to try.

[Edited at 2010-05-25 12:36 GMT]

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:24
English to Dutch
+ ...
XTRF - any exact information available? Dec 23, 2010

Hi

I am looking for a project management software for a small start-up agency. I looked at the XTRF website and it scares me a little. Here are some thoughts that went through my head:

- Apparently they have only been around for about two years.

- The company is based in Poland, which always makes me wonder how good communication is going to be in case of need. An example from their website:
“Software as a product” is the basic sales mod... See more
Hi

I am looking for a project management software for a small start-up agency. I looked at the XTRF website and it scares me a little. Here are some thoughts that went through my head:

- Apparently they have only been around for about two years.

- The company is based in Poland, which always makes me wonder how good communication is going to be in case of need. An example from their website:
“Software as a product” is the basic sales model of XTRF™.
This a proposal for companies that attach the greatest importance to a clear and legible structure of investment costs, and that would like to have full control over the functioning of the system and be able to effect its independent configuration.

Anyone else find this hard to read?

- There is absolutely no information on price, which I find scary. That to me already indicates it's going to be expensive.

- Good point: it's offered as a SAAS solution, meaning that you pay in form of a subscription. I found the price for that on an external website: 79 € per month, so about a 1000 € per year - including support. I lack the experience to say if that is expensive or not. Projetex costs about 1000 € as a single purchase for one workstation and about 300 € for the upgrade (will I need those? how often?). 1000 € per year can be a good investment, but it would really have to be a useful tool for me.

- The website looks very geeky, with a lot of text info and few screenshots or pictures. I'm allergic to software that requires deep study of a subject I couldn't care less about. This might not be the 1-2-3 solution I'm looking for.

- Good point: free trial and demo presentation available

- It does not mention SDL Studio as a CAT tool they have integrated

Anything else? Please comment freely.

- Rien
Collapse

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Translation Project Management. Which Software? Dec 24, 2010

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Hello "noborders",

As for translation project management software, there are a few pieces you can choose from:

1. Projetex (www.projetex.com): best suited for small to middle-size agencies; server-client architecture; Firebird database. Very good low-cost solution I have been using for over two years.

2. QuaHill (www.quahill.com): web-based project management solution for middle-size to large translation agencies; sold in sets including different modules. Never had a chance to try it but the testimonials I get are very positive. The highest version costs around € 3,000.

3. Project Translation (http://www.project-open.com/en/solutions/project-open-translation-mangement-system.html ): web-based project management system for all translation agency sizes; free and open-source (PHP) system core; extensions, such as the Freelance or the Financial Reports extension, have to be purchased separately.

The list is definitely not exhaustive, but i hope it helps at least a little.

[Upraveno: 2010-01-13 19:56 GMT]

May be you can add this one. I ca not give a personal opiniona, as I never used it: http://www.jovo-soft.de/

Stefania Williams
Stefania Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:24
English to Italian
About XTRF Jan 3, 2011

Hi, I am a translator who formed a small translation agency a few years ago. I thought to tell you about my experience with XTRF, which we use since 2009. Using XTRF allowed me to manage several, small translation projects efficiently and without any problem.

I hope I can help Marinus with my experience:

XTRF is ideal for small start-up agencies, and I suggest to start from the beginning, when you have just a few clients and a few providers, you get the opportunity to
... See more
Hi, I am a translator who formed a small translation agency a few years ago. I thought to tell you about my experience with XTRF, which we use since 2009. Using XTRF allowed me to manage several, small translation projects efficiently and without any problem.

I hope I can help Marinus with my experience:

XTRF is ideal for small start-up agencies, and I suggest to start from the beginning, when you have just a few clients and a few providers, you get the opportunity to have a full picture of it, and add up new data while you expand.

I don't know how long they have been around - I always had the impression that they had been around ages: they know the field very professionally and very deeply.

The company is based in Poland, and I can reassure you that communications and customer service is excellent: they reply to emails and queries within hours, it's a first rate service, the approach is very friendly and proactive. I have to say, I never had glitches or issues with the software, which I use every day. Using XTRF allowed me to manage up 10 small projects a day, without going mad.

They update the software for you, and they take into account your feedback: in the latest version, I have noticed some improvements based on some requests done last year, and this was impressive for me.

About CAT tools: the software allows to calculate prices and quotes via SDLX and trados analysis, it is integrated very easily (you just upload the CAT analysis and it calculates the total quote for you).

One of the main extra features - for me - is also the administration features: you can trace invoices, payments, send reminders via the Invoicing manu.

The help files are very clear and informative - and any doubt is solved by the helpdesk, which is also accessible via skype.

About price: I don't know if there is any info on website, Thomas from XTRF has given us all information when asked. We had a demo with Thomas at the beginning, and the help desk staff has helped us in all steps.

From our experience, I would recommend this software to small start-up agencies. It really takes all the hassle away. We also use the software as a support for our ISO Quality management system, it allows us to be very disciplined in our daily life. I had shopped around before chosing XTRF, and I can say that it was the best option for small agencies. In brief, for me, the best features are:

- interface is easy to use and maintain.
- excellent customer and technical service - answers within hours, real-time skype service.
- training is included in the price of the software, it is done via an internet conference system, it seems to have XTRF support in your office!
- allow to track and trace not only projects, but also the financial parts (invoicing, payments, etc.)
- templates are available in many languages, which is an extra bonus: clients and providers lilke - and sometimes require - to receive POs and Quotes in their language, it's a personal touch!
- templates can be customised for your needs at a small extra price.
- value for money is excellent.

In small words, XTRF allowed us to take on more projects, manage projects quicker and more efficiently, and consequently, to increase turnover.

HTH

Stefania
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:24
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thanks for the interesting tip, Pablo! Jan 4, 2011

I own TO3000, but am not very happy with its UI, and so am presently downloading the "Solito" version of TOM for Translators from
http://www.jovo-soft.de/, which is the (new) version tailored especially to freelancers.

I'll make sure to report back with my findings ASAP.

Regards,

Michael

Dóra Esterházy
Dóra Esterházy
Hungary
Plunet Business Manager - why not to try? Mar 16, 2011

We are a middle sized translation and localization agency who have been using
Plunet for almost two years now for project management successfully.
Its interface is clear, functions are easy-to-use and the navigation is obvious.
CAT application (Trados, MemoQ), file server and e-mail function are integrated which makes our job much quicker. CRM is also supported.
Although there are a lot of pre-defined features you can still tailor-make your own profiles, queries, views a
... See more
We are a middle sized translation and localization agency who have been using
Plunet for almost two years now for project management successfully.
Its interface is clear, functions are easy-to-use and the navigation is obvious.
CAT application (Trados, MemoQ), file server and e-mail function are integrated which makes our job much quicker. CRM is also supported.
Although there are a lot of pre-defined features you can still tailor-make your own profiles, queries, views according to your need.
I would highly recommend to test it.
Collapse

Lany Chabot-Laroche
Lany Chabot-Laroche  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:24
Member (2009)
English to French
Beetext Mar 16, 2011

I don't have a ton of experience with management software, but so far I've had to use FLOW MMX (Beetext) quite a lot and it gets the job done pretty well. Although I have been told it's quite expensive. Just another option to look at.

Leah Aharoni
Leah Aharoni
Local time: 13:24
English
+ ...
PM software with vendor database Mar 22, 2011

Hello,

Could anyone comment on the vendor database features of these programs (searching through a database of several hundred freelancers for the right match is becoming exceedingly difficult in my system).

Thanks,

Leah Aharoni

DanielRejtoe
DanielRejtoe
Germany
Free webinar: End-to-end management processes at McElroy Translation - with Plunet and memoQ Apr 1, 2011

Hi folks,

If you would like to learn more about Plunet and its interoperabilty with memoQ (from a user perspective) I would recommend this webinar...greetings Daniel

Date: April 5,
Time: 5pm Berlin, 4pm London, 11am New York
Webinar language: english
Duration: 60min

Especially suitable for: Anyone who wants to receive a first impression on the functionality and strengths of the dynamic integration of Plunet BusinessManager and memoQ
... See more
Hi folks,

If you would like to learn more about Plunet and its interoperabilty with memoQ (from a user perspective) I would recommend this webinar...greetings Daniel

Date: April 5,
Time: 5pm Berlin, 4pm London, 11am New York
Webinar language: english
Duration: 60min

Especially suitable for: Anyone who wants to receive a first impression on the functionality and strengths of the dynamic integration of Plunet BusinessManager and memoQ.

-We let the customer speak-
In our free user experience webinar, brought to you in association with our customer McElroy Translation and our technology partner Kilgray Translation Technologies, you will learn:

+ What McElroy’s decision making factors and requirements looked like and why they opted for the combined Plunet & memoQ solution
+ How McElroy designed their state-of-the-art business and translation management processes using Plunet memoQManager
+ How Translation Vendors and Buyers can gain an immediate competitive advantage in their supply chain and benefit from the dynamic connection of the two leading industry solutions

“The Plunet & memoQ integrated solution has positioned McElroy Translation as a technological leader in translation project management.” - Kyle Sherbenou, Manager of Technology at McElroy Translation

Register here:
https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/693557592

[Bearbeitet am 2011-04-01 13:46 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2011-04-01 13:47 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Project Management. Which Software?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »