Cécile Caron
Cécile Caron  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:22
English to French
+ ...
Jan 9, 2012

Hello everyone,

First of all, I wish you all the best for this new year. May your translation business thrive in 2012!

I consider moving to the US for one or two years towards the end of the year, but as a freelance translator registered in France I don't know if I am eligible for a visa.

I was then wondering if one of you had already done it. Is it possible to get a visa while keeping the company registered in France (or another country), or is it better t
... See more
Hello everyone,

First of all, I wish you all the best for this new year. May your translation business thrive in 2012!

I consider moving to the US for one or two years towards the end of the year, but as a freelance translator registered in France I don't know if I am eligible for a visa.

I was then wondering if one of you had already done it. Is it possible to get a visa while keeping the company registered in France (or another country), or is it better to register the company in the US if moving there?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Cécile
Collapse

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 05:22
Russian to English
+ ...
In itself, the fact that you have a company registered Jan 9, 2012

in France or elsewhere, or that you have one registered in the US, has little bearing upon your visa status, unless you make a substantial investment or hire a certain number of people. Rather than ask this in a public forum, you really need an immigration lawyer since there may be personal situations here that you could take advantage of, rather than something business-related. Good luck with your project.

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
There could very well be some people here who Jan 9, 2012

can answer your question(s), but as a US expat living in Europe, my recommendation would be to check with the US Embassy in your country on the requirements, or alternatively, the US Department of State website (which the Embassies are a part of) for the most up-to-date, complete information.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/

Hope this helps, and good luck!

On edit: Forgot
... See more
can answer your question(s), but as a US expat living in Europe, my recommendation would be to check with the US Embassy in your country on the requirements, or alternatively, the US Department of State website (which the Embassies are a part of) for the most up-to-date, complete information.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/

Hope this helps, and good luck!

On edit: Forgot to say thanks for the New Year's wishes - the same to you!

[Edited at 2012-01-09 12:54 GMT]
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Most likely no Jan 9, 2012

Check out the website Woodstock mentioned. To get a work visa, you need a US employer that would sponsor you. It does not look like your case falls into that category. As a visitor, you can't stay for a whole year.
If you come as a student, you need the school sponsoring you for a student visa.
Again, check the website, but in general, moving to the US is not as simple as moving between EU countries.
Katalin

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
. Jan 9, 2012

The best you can expect is a six-month tourist visa. Theoretically you're not supposed to work while you're doing so, though this is very different to enforce if you're a freelance translator working for companies in Europe. You shouldn't even think about attempting to register your business in the US, or working for US clients, as they will ask for your social security number.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sigh! Jan 10, 2012

The US is quite the romantic country (look at all the teenage parents being promoted to local heroes --and not local morons as they should be-- by MTV), so the easiest way to immigrate for a number of years is by marriage to an US citizen. Maybe you should consider it!

Cécile Caron
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you everyone! Jan 10, 2012

Thank you to you all for your suggestions.

Apparently it doesn't look easy at all and a short stay of a couple of months looks like the only solution.
I am going to try to contact the American embassy but talking to someone there is not easy either.

Thanks Tomas, I might consider your solution as a last resort.

Have a good day!

Cécile

Elizabeth Faracini
Elizabeth Faracini  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2010)
Italian to English
+ ...
Diversity Visa Jan 11, 2012

Hi Cécile,

You may want to take a look at the Diversity Visa program, also known as the Green Card Lottery.
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1318.html
This site has information related to this program, which seems to be closed for 2013, but you could apply for 2014.

Good luck,

Liz

Elisa Noetinger
Elisa Noetinger  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
Sort your visa first! Jan 15, 2012

I moved to the US last year and I spent the first 6 months on a tourist visa, but had to leave the country before it expired, of course!

While in the US, I looked for a job in translation agencies, but all of them asked my immigration status. With a tourist visa, they would not even interview me...I have to say that finding sponsoring in the private sector is pretty hard, unless they transfer you within a company where you already work!

Now, you may want to try the Unit
... See more
I moved to the US last year and I spent the first 6 months on a tourist visa, but had to leave the country before it expired, of course!

While in the US, I looked for a job in translation agencies, but all of them asked my immigration status. With a tourist visa, they would not even interview me...I have to say that finding sponsoring in the private sector is pretty hard, unless they transfer you within a company where you already work!

Now, you may want to try the United Nations, they sort out the visa if you get a job with them. But the process is sloooow!

Also, apply to the Diversity Visa, it is free and you have nothing to loose!

Good luck!

Elisa
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:22
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Theoretically? :-) Jan 15, 2012

By law.

philgoddard wrote:

The best you can expect is a six-month tourist visa. Theoretically you're not supposed to work while you're doing so, though this is very different to enforce if you're a freelance translator working for companies in Europe. You shouldn't even think about attempting to register your business in the US, or working for US clients, as they will ask for your social security number.

If I would give her a single job while she is in the US without a work permit, I would end up in prison. Laws have changed.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:22
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Unfortunately not Jan 15, 2012

Cécile Caron wrote:
I consider moving to the US for one or two years towards the end of the year

No. It is a country like any other country in the world with borders and all and you can not simply move there. The fact that the war was ended officially precisely 30 days ago doesn't turn the US into a vacation resort.

but as a freelance translator registered in France I don't know if I am eligible for a visa.

Doesn't matter. Would anyone be allowed to move to France because of its beauty without a work permit and while paying taxes elsewhere? I think not.

The previous posters gave helpful hints. You can come here 1.) as an investor who brings a lot of money and creates workplaces for at least 5 or 7 full-time employees (you have to travel back to your home country every 2 years to renew your Visa, any of your children who have reached the age of 21 have to leave the country immediately), 2.) you are hired by a company that can totally prove that nobody else among the 300+ million American citizens is capable of doing your job, and you are hired for at least 2 years (your Visa is only temporary and the procedure will cost your employer several thousand dollars), 3.) you marry an American citizen, but you have to prove that you have been in a serious relationship with your spouse for at least 2 years because Immigration isn't very fond of fictitious marriages or 4.) participate in the Green Card Lottery.

Oops, typo: In, not at.

[Edited at 2012-01-15 13:14 GMT]

Cécile Caron
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you everyone Jan 16, 2012

for this useful information !

Michal Fabian
Michal Fabian  Identity Verified
Canada
Dutch to Slovak
+ ...
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but... Mar 11, 2013

By any chance, anybody got tips on translation agencies/language services providers that offer immigration sponsorship? Employment opportunities for EU residents?

I was also (naively, I know) planning to move to the US as a freelance translator, but that's obviously easier said than done. The work is there, the demand is there (done my research), but unfortunately, the red tape is there as well... Still just exploring my options, so please be kind to me ...
See more
By any chance, anybody got tips on translation agencies/language services providers that offer immigration sponsorship? Employment opportunities for EU residents?

I was also (naively, I know) planning to move to the US as a freelance translator, but that's obviously easier said than done. The work is there, the demand is there (done my research), but unfortunately, the red tape is there as well... Still just exploring my options, so please be kind to me

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Possible work visa Mar 11, 2013

Another method I have heard of is if you can find a US employer who will employ you full-time remotely (outside the US) for 12 months you may be able to get a work visa as an intra-company transferee. It wouldn't work as a freelancer, however. Legal advice is needed.

Jonathan Roberts
Jonathan Roberts  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to English
+ ...
another related question Jul 22, 2013

In my case it's a little different. I've just arrived in the US and have been working with a variety of companies that are mostly based in Europe. I'm actually married to a US citizen and am here to visit her family, but I'm on a tourist visa and I'd like to continue working during the few months that I'm in the country. For the record, the consular official I spoke with said that this is fine if I'm working with companies that are not based in the US. While I haven't accepted work from any US c... See more
In my case it's a little different. I've just arrived in the US and have been working with a variety of companies that are mostly based in Europe. I'm actually married to a US citizen and am here to visit her family, but I'm on a tourist visa and I'd like to continue working during the few months that I'm in the country. For the record, the consular official I spoke with said that this is fine if I'm working with companies that are not based in the US. While I haven't accepted work from any US companies since I arrived, there is one that I sometimes work with that has its head office in the US. The complicating factor is that all of the project managers that I work with are based in Buenos Aires, so it isn't clear that I would be working with a US company (much as if I were working with a local branch of McDonalds, although I realize this isn't a perfect analogy). The safest thing would probably be to suspend working with the company, but as I'm not planning to spend more than five months here I'd rather keep up the relationship if possible. Any thoughts?Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Move to the US as a freelance translator

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »