Kristina Wolf  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 08:26
Member (2004)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Jun 12, 2018

Dear all,

Does anyone have any recommendations for a professional indemnity insurance?
I am trying to get a quote with Fenton Green (Ausit recommended), but they want a NAATI accreditation which I don't have as I work exclusively for clients' abroad and all invoices in AUD which for the same reason I can't provide.

Thanks for any pointers,

Kristina

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Ask yourself whether it's necessary? Jun 13, 2018

Hi Kristina,

I was looking at this 4 years ago and decided it was unnecessary (for me).

https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_in_australia/273769-insurance_for_translators_in_australia.html

I've only had one instance in my translation lifetime where it might've been helpful but the clien
... See more
Hi Kristina,

I was looking at this 4 years ago and decided it was unnecessary (for me).

https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_in_australia/273769-insurance_for_translators_in_australia.html

I've only had one instance in my translation lifetime where it might've been helpful but the client who threatened went silent.

https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_in_australia/319553-have_i_broken_confidentiality_with_this_non_payer_what_do_i_do_next.html

Hope these previous threads are helpful!

Dylan
Collapse

Kristina Wolf
Kristina Wolf  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2004)
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dylan, but... Jun 13, 2018

Thanks Dylan, but... I got a client (a very good client) in the UK who is asking for it.

Daria Bontch-Osmolovskaia (X)
Daria Bontch-Osmolovskaia (X)
Australia
English
+ ...
BizCover Jun 13, 2018

Hi Kristina,

Mine was through BizCover - the actual insurer was AIG Australia Limited. BizCover website allows you to input Translator/Interpreter as an occupation, application was a very smooth process.

I carried $1 mil in Professional Indemnity, at the time it cost about $800 per year. Didn't bother about 3rd party, and put a clause in my consultancy agreement that I won't be responsible for 3rd party damages. No NAATI rubbish required - I never had a stamp either, an
... See more
Hi Kristina,

Mine was through BizCover - the actual insurer was AIG Australia Limited. BizCover website allows you to input Translator/Interpreter as an occupation, application was a very smooth process.

I carried $1 mil in Professional Indemnity, at the time it cost about $800 per year. Didn't bother about 3rd party, and put a clause in my consultancy agreement that I won't be responsible for 3rd party damages. No NAATI rubbish required - I never had a stamp either, and nobody cared about it.

I worked with a lot of direct clients, mining & engineering companies, so PI insurance was a necessity & peace of mind for me. Thankfully, I never had to use it.

Hope that helps!

D.

[Edited at 2018-06-13 01:30 GMT]
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

That makes sense then! Jun 13, 2018

Getting NAATI certified and joining AUSIT would then give you discounts for these as well as PD sessions and various other professional support services. I wouldn't write it off completely. I had done so in the past because, like you, I have a large and profitable international client base but becoming certified opened up a new, high-paying market where our services are highly appreciated and we're respected as being accredited professionals. There is a difference and my only regret is not havin... See more
Getting NAATI certified and joining AUSIT would then give you discounts for these as well as PD sessions and various other professional support services. I wouldn't write it off completely. I had done so in the past because, like you, I have a large and profitable international client base but becoming certified opened up a new, high-paying market where our services are highly appreciated and we're respected as being accredited professionals. There is a difference and my only regret is not having done it sooner.Collapse

Jitka Onderkova
Jitka Onderkova  Identity Verified
Australia
Czech to English
+ ...
Professional Indemnity Insurance Sep 6, 2021

Hi all,
I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with taking out professional indemnity insurance covering the US and Canada. I have PII in Australia, but no one here seems to be willing to cover me if I work for an American agency as the US is considered highly litigious. Any advice?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Anna Herbst[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Professional indemnity insurance

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »