Thread poster: Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Jan 4, 2018

I was contacted by a client who had their documents previously translated by another NAATI accredited translator (one with 30+ years experience). I have to re-certify the translations (redo and stamp) as that first translator is now overseas.

Among these documents was an 'extract translation' of a birth certificate, rather than a full-translation of the entire document.

I see now that AUSIT has a list of templates available, including extract driver's license and extrac
... See more
I was contacted by a client who had their documents previously translated by another NAATI accredited translator (one with 30+ years experience). I have to re-certify the translations (redo and stamp) as that first translator is now overseas.

Among these documents was an 'extract translation' of a birth certificate, rather than a full-translation of the entire document.

I see now that AUSIT has a list of templates available, including extract driver's license and extract birth certificate: https://ausit.org/AUSIT/Members_Area/Resources/Standard_Document_Templates/AUSIT/Members_Area/Member_Documents/Standard_Document_Templates.aspx?hkey=a9745eba-5baa-4a13-b4e2-8d9998ab87e1

My question is: Are extracts like the ones given by AUSIT acceptable by the Department of Immigration? (I've tried to find the answer myself to no avail. All the Dept says is "You must provide certified copies of both of the following with your application: the official translation of the document".

I've now been sent a driver's license by another client and am not sure whether to use my own full-translation template or the extract template offered by AUSIT.

Thanks for your advice.

Regards,

DJH
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:24
French to English
Check with the official source Jan 4, 2018

It is an important point. I could venture my opinion, but it would be worthless. I only have any idea of how these things work in France and even then, I would automatically refer someone to an official source.
The official authority will be able to provide you the information you require. The client's needs may require something slightly different, but you may still have to be in line with some official rule in order for it to be valid.

Edit: Somehow had missed this as bein
... See more
It is an important point. I could venture my opinion, but it would be worthless. I only have any idea of how these things work in France and even then, I would automatically refer someone to an official source.
The official authority will be able to provide you the information you require. The client's needs may require something slightly different, but you may still have to be in line with some official rule in order for it to be valid.

Edit: Somehow had missed this as being marked "Australia". What a dimwit I can be!

[Edited at 2018-01-05 00:06 GMT]
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 4, 2018

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

I only have any idea of how these things work in France and even then, I would automatically refer someone to an official source.

Thanks Nikki

Hopefully another accredited translator in this 'Australia' thread can respond!

Cheers,

DJH

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
Pro forma & extract translation Jan 4, 2018

Yes, they are acceptable by most (if not all) government agencies. Documents such as identity card, driving licence, birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce decree, police clearance etc. may all be provided in extract translation form.

Caveat: Regulations regarding DL translation vary from state to state. For example, RMS in NSW don’t accept DL translation provided by an individual NAATI translator. It has to go through Service NSW.

DJHartmann wrote:

My question is: Are extracts like the ones given by AUSIT acceptable by the Department of Immigration? (I've tried to find the answer myself to no avail. All the Dept says is "You must provide certified copies of both of the following with your application: the official translation of the document".

I've now been sent a driver's license by another client and am not sure whether to use my own full-translation template or the extract template offered by AUSIT.

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jan 4, 2018

QUOI wrote:
Caveat: Regulations regarding DL translation vary from state to state. For example, RMS in NSW don’t accept DL translation provided by an individual NAATI translator. It has to go through Service NSW.

This will be for QLD, so should be okay.

Thanks for your response QUOI (still waiting for Dept of Imm to call me back!).

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Their response Jan 4, 2018

Finally got through to the Department of Immigration call centre.

The official on the line said that if they only provide a partial source document, then an extract is okay. If they provide the full document, then we should provide a full translation.

He also confirmed that a stamped source should be attached to the translation.

I personally prefer the 'extract' deliverables (saves time wasted on formatting).

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
Well... Jan 5, 2018

The answer is neither here nor there since extact/full translation has nothing to do with whether a document is provided in full or in part. Personally I have never had any of my pro forma translation rejected by the immigration department and I do a lot of them every year. I wouldn’t take this person’s advice too seriously.

DJHartmann wrote:

Finally got through to the Department of Immigration call centre.

The official on the line said that if they only provide a partial source document, then an extract is okay. If they provide the full document, then we should provide a full translation.

He also confirmed that a stamped source should be attached to the translation.

I personally prefer the 'extract' deliverables (saves time wasted on formatting).

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Precisely my presumption! Jan 5, 2018

QUOI wrote:

I wouldn’t take this person’s advice too seriously.

Another win for the ProZ.com community. Glad to have your support Quoi! Happy 2018!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Anna Herbst[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Extract Translations are Acceptable?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »