Thread poster: Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Dec 22, 2017

This has been an odd transformation for me, working online for many years and using email almost entirely (99.99% of the time) for work, to now receive daily calls for NAATI translations from direct clients.

Why do they always call?!

It's not that I'm afraid of talking on the phone, I just don't feel that calls aren't really necessary in our industry!

I've ended up telling every caller to email me with the material and that I'll respond with a quote.
... See more
This has been an odd transformation for me, working online for many years and using email almost entirely (99.99% of the time) for work, to now receive daily calls for NAATI translations from direct clients.

Why do they always call?!

It's not that I'm afraid of talking on the phone, I just don't feel that calls aren't really necessary in our industry!

I've ended up telling every caller to email me with the material and that I'll respond with a quote.

Nevertheless, I don't think it's a good idea to take my phone number off the NAATI site just yet.

What have your experiences been like? I'm slowly adapting, not finding it hard, just humorous.

Regards,

DJH

[Edited at 2017-12-22 16:51 GMT]
Collapse

Guofei_LIN
Guofei_LIN  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 23:53
Chinese
Answering call Dec 23, 2017

In my language pair there are over 650 translators on NAATI's website, so getting a call from someone who needs a driver licence translated is not too different from winning a 25-dollar lottery. But occasionally I do get a call and it is someone with a big job, then you'll be glad that you answered that call. The latest one happened last month and I made over $1000 from the job.

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Monopoly Dec 23, 2017

I see your point.

I'm the only NAATI accredited Thai-English translator in Brisbane, so they call me first when they're in Queensland.

Maddison Norris
Maddison Norris  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 23:23
Chinese to English
Never happened to me! Oct 11, 2018

Wow, I have never received a single phone call ever!
I've had someone -TEXT- me once, which I thought was an odd choice, but they also sent an email at the same time.
I'm guessing working in the same language as Guofei, there are hundreds, if not thousands of listings so there might be some people on page 1 that get a lot of calls!
LOL

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Anna Herbst[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why do they always call for NAATI jobs?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »