NAATI certified translation rejected at Service NSW
Thread poster: Rosalind Walsh
Rosalind Walsh
Rosalind Walsh
Local time: 18:07
Spanish to English
Oct 9, 2017

Hi there
I have been a freelance translator for 20 years in Sydney Australia. Just last week a client rang me because I translated her Driving Record and the RTA (Service NSW) would not accept it because they only accept translations from Multicultural NSW! This has never happened to be before, so I went up to the RTA and sure enough their form states:

"Documents not written in English

If your overseas licence or confirmation letter is not written in English, you
... See more
Hi there
I have been a freelance translator for 20 years in Sydney Australia. Just last week a client rang me because I translated her Driving Record and the RTA (Service NSW) would not accept it because they only accept translations from Multicultural NSW! This has never happened to be before, so I went up to the RTA and sure enough their form states:

"Documents not written in English

If your overseas licence or confirmation letter is not written in English, you must provide an official translation.

Translations are only acceptable if they are from:

Multicultural NSW (previously Community Relations Commission of NSW) Visit the MNSW website for more information
The Free Translating Service provided by the Department of Social Services (DSS). The free translation service is only available to eligible people. Visit the DSS website for more information.
For South Korean (Republic of Korea) licences only, we accept translations from the Consulate-General of the Republic of Korea, as the Consulate verifies the licence details with the relevant South Korean (Republic of Korea) driver licence authority
For Republic of China (Taiwan) licences only, we accept translations from the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office (TECO), Sydney, as TECO verifies the licence details with the relevant Republic of China (Taiwan) driver issuing authority.
Translations obtained through any other means are not acceptable."

I am wondering if anyone has had a similar problem? I've never had a translation "rejected" in 20 years!

Lindy
Collapse

Guofei_LIN
Guofei_LIN  Identity Verified
Australia
Chinese
Depending on where and how they want to use the translation Oct 9, 2017

The transport authorities here in Queensland accept translation of driver licence by any NAATI accredited translator. However, if a client wants a translation for use in NSW, I will need to ask this client if he/she is going to drive as a tourist or if he/she holds a residence permit and intends to change his or her overseas licence to a NSW driver licence. In the former case, I can translate his or her overseas licence enabling him or her to rent a car or buy a car and drive, in the latter case... See more
The transport authorities here in Queensland accept translation of driver licence by any NAATI accredited translator. However, if a client wants a translation for use in NSW, I will need to ask this client if he/she is going to drive as a tourist or if he/she holds a residence permit and intends to change his or her overseas licence to a NSW driver licence. In the former case, I can translate his or her overseas licence enabling him or her to rent a car or buy a car and drive, in the latter case, I have to tell them to go to the Multicultural place for the translation.Collapse

Rosalind Walsh
Rosalind Walsh
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 9, 2017

Thanks - that's really useful to know.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Anna Herbst[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

NAATI certified translation rejected at Service NSW

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »