A NAATI Ethics Question. Certifying translations performed by other translators.
Thread poster: English Chinese Medical Translator - Jimmy Deng
English Chinese Medical Translator - Jimmy Deng
English Chinese Medical Translator - Jimmy Deng  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 19:45
English to Chinese
+ ...
Apr 22, 2011

You are asked by a client to certify the translation into English of a birth certificate (the translation was done overseas). The client also asks you to certify a photocopy of the original non-English document. What do you do? Explain your answer.

The above is a question on the last page of the Sample Test Script. I am preparing for the ethics test as part of my NAATI translation examination (Chinese>English. I already have the accreditation for the other direc
... See more
You are asked by a client to certify the translation into English of a birth certificate (the translation was done overseas). The client also asks you to certify a photocopy of the original non-English document. What do you do? Explain your answer.

The above is a question on the last page of the Sample Test Script. I am preparing for the ethics test as part of my NAATI translation examination (Chinese>English. I already have the accreditation for the other direction).

Could someone tell me what AUSIT ethics principles are relevant here? How would you answer this question?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Collapse

r_zareianfard
r_zareianfard
Local time: 10:15
did you find the answer? Jun 10, 2012

Hi,
I have the same problem, so I want kindly to ask if you find the answer, please tell me correct code of ethics which should be used.

Anna Herbst
Anna Herbst  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 17:45
English to Swedish
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
The translator certifies his/her translation, nothing else. Sep 11, 2013

As for the certification of a photo copy or any other document, the translator is not authorised to make such a certification in Australia unless they are on the list of authorised witnesses for statutory declarations - translators/interpreters are n... See more
As for the certification of a photo copy or any other document, the translator is not authorised to make such a certification in Australia unless they are on the list of authorised witnesses for statutory declarations - translators/interpreters are not on this list. For a current list, go to http://www.ag.gov.au/Publications/Pages/Statutorydeclarationsignatorylist.aspx

The ethical principle here would be 6. Clarity of role boundaries,

When it comes to checking a translation made overseas, you could cite T9 in the Conduct issues specific for translators:
T9 If a translation is subject to revision or checking by another translator, the
revision is returned to the original translator for approval and finalisation. If changes
are made to the translated text after delivery to the client without the translator's
agreement and knowledge, the translator is no longer responsible for the translated
text.

In short, unless you are prepared to take on the responsibility of translator in full, you can not certify someone else's translation. It will have to be done through a statutory declaration before an authorised witness.

This response probably comes far too late for the original asker, but hopefully someone else might find it useful.
Collapse

nnaorin19
nnaorin19
Bangladesh
eminent naati exam Aug 7, 2015

can anyone please give me a good answer for this question of ethics:

"16. As you are translating a Health Department’s leaflet on HIV/AIDS you realise that some of the wording of the document would be culturally unacceptable to your target community. What will you do?"

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Anna Herbst[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A NAATI Ethics Question. Certifying translations performed by other translators.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »