Camille Legrand
Camille Legrand  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:47
English to French
+ ...
May 27, 2019

Bonjour à toutes et à tous,

Je suis traductrice freelance, et vendredi, j'ai été embauchée pour participer à un projet de transcription/sous-titrage.

Etant donné qu'il s'agit de ma toute première expérience dans le domaine du sous-titrage, l'agence à l'initiative de ce projet m'a conseillé d'utiliser le logiciel gratuit Subtitle Edit (je suis sur MacOS, au cas où cela pourrait avoir son importance).

J'ai trouvé la mise en main assez intuitive
... See more
Bonjour à toutes et à tous,

Je suis traductrice freelance, et vendredi, j'ai été embauchée pour participer à un projet de transcription/sous-titrage.

Etant donné qu'il s'agit de ma toute première expérience dans le domaine du sous-titrage, l'agence à l'initiative de ce projet m'a conseillé d'utiliser le logiciel gratuit Subtitle Edit (je suis sur MacOS, au cas où cela pourrait avoir son importance).

J'ai trouvé la mise en main assez intuitive, je me suis alors lancée dans le travail, puis quand j'ai voulu extraire mon fichier .srt, une fenêtre est apparue me disant que pour pouvoir extraire plus de 20 dialogues de sous-titres, il me fallait payer pour avoir accès à la version complète. Or, pour seulement 8 minutes de vidéo, j'en suis déjà à 66 sous-titres...

Sauriez-vous s'il vaut le coup de prendre la version payante (à 10,99€ seulement sur l'AppStore) ? Ou auriez-vous d'autres logiciels/applications à me conseiller, gratuits ou pas très chers ?

Je dois rendre le fichier .srt de cette vidéo de 53 minutes avant 17h (heure de Paris), lundi 27 mai.

Merci d'avance pour vos réponses éventuelles !

Camille

Hi everyone,

I am a freelance translator, and on Friday I have been hired to participate to a transcription/subtitling project.

Since this is my very first experience in subtitling, the agency which launched this project recommended me to use Subtitle Edit, a free software (I have a Mac, maybe it can be important to know it).

I found it pretty easy to use, but when I tried to extract the .srt file, a window appeared and informed me that without paying for the complete version of the app, I would not be allowed to extract more than 20 subtitles. However, I already have 66 subtitles for just 8 minutes...

Do you know if it is worth paying for the complete version of Subtitle Edit (10,99€ only on the AppStore)? Or would you recommend other free or at least not too expensive softwares/apps?

I have to deliver the .srt file of the 53-minute video until Monday, May, the 27th, 17h (Paris time).

Thank you in advance for your help!

Camille
Collapse

Jocelin Meunier
Jocelin Meunier  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Réponse tardive. May 27, 2019

Coucou ! Je réalise que c'est un peu tard, mais je te conseille AegiSub pour le sous-titrage. C'est un logiciel -entièrement- gratuit et je l'utilise depuis 5 ans déjà. Il y a bien évidemment plein d'autres logiciels payant plus performant, mais pour un logiciel gratuit il fait du très bon travail.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Camille, @Jocelin May 27, 2019

Camille Legrand wrote:
The agency which launched this project recommended me to use Subtitle Edit ... (I have a Mac, maybe it can be important to know it). Do you know if it is worth paying for the complete version of Subtitle Edit (10,99€ only on the AppStore)?

€11 is almost nothing! If you can't afford to spend €11 as a business expense on this job, then maybe your rate is too low. How much will you be getting for the entire job?

I have to deliver the .srt file of the 53-minute video until Monday, May, the 27th, 17h (Paris time).

There may be other tools out there that are cheaper than €11, but you may not be able to learn how to use them in time for your 5 PM deadline today.

Jocelin M wrote:
Hello ! I realize it's a bit late, but I recommend AegiSub for subtitling. It's a completely-free software and I've been using it for 5 years already.

Is it fairly easy to learn quickly?

Jocelin Meunier
Jocelin Meunier  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
@Samuel May 29, 2019

Hey, sorry, I'm seeing this just now. So, AegiSub is pretty easy to use, but maybe I'm biased since it's the only one I know. The whole interface may seem old-fashioned I guess, but I find it simple and useful. That simplicity made it pretty fast to learn back then. I'm sure there are better softwares, but I'd say yes, it's fairly easy to learn.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Conseils sur un bon logiciel de sous-titrage

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »