Thread poster: neilmac
neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 12:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 29, 2019

I have always had problems getting Dragon NS to write "net" or "next", I just wondered if it was only me, or if other people have the same problem. Most of the time I end up just typing it in, but it would be nice not to have to do that. I've tried training and retraining it, but it still behaves the same way.

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Similar problems Nov 29, 2019

I have similar problems with "an" and "and" and with "hooks" and "Hawks". At the moment, my Dragon seems to be behaving itself after being severely reprimanded. One way of dealing with this is to say the difficult word differently, but that is a nuisance to remember. I also have a problem with words that can also be commands such as "cap", "correct" and "paragraph" and switching to dictation mode before saying them doesn't work. I generally resort to typing words that Dragon fails to recognise c... See more
I have similar problems with "an" and "and" and with "hooks" and "Hawks". At the moment, my Dragon seems to be behaving itself after being severely reprimanded. One way of dealing with this is to say the difficult word differently, but that is a nuisance to remember. I also have a problem with words that can also be commands such as "cap", "correct" and "paragraph" and switching to dictation mode before saying them doesn't work. I generally resort to typing words that Dragon fails to recognise correctly, because that's the quickest way of dealing with it. Of course, that wouldn't be an option if I wasn't sitting in front of my computer keyboard.Collapse

neilmac

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cheers Nov 30, 2019

I'm relieved to know it's not just me. When the words appear in the middle of the sentence, it doesn't happen so much, but when I'm starting a sentence with Net or Next, it seizes up. I usually end up typing the obstinate words as well, but I'll try pronouncing them another way and see if that works.

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Maybe a new word? Nov 30, 2019

I suggest not to believe unconditionally in the hearing sense of a combination of (a) microphone + (an) audio card + DNS software. Such set will always have some limitations. I understand that DNS does not hear the difference between "net" and "next". Instead of "next", you could - or should - invent a word like - for instance - "nexat" or "anext". Speak it loud and clear and teach DNS to write "next". Of course, you would have to learn that new word and remember to use it.

HTH

neilmac

Stuart Hoskins
Stuart Hoskins
Czech to English
+ ...
Curses! Dec 1, 2019

Some words you can try to train as long as you want and Dragon is just not having it. So…
With troublesome words, I train Dragon to recognise the word with “dammit” at the end (voicing my frustration basically), so cellar remains as “cellar”, but saying “cellar dammit” gives you “seller”.
There are only so many times that you can take “cap commission” rendering as “cup commission” instead of “Commission” (commission dammit!).
I know what you're g
... See more
Some words you can try to train as long as you want and Dragon is just not having it. So…
With troublesome words, I train Dragon to recognise the word with “dammit” at the end (voicing my frustration basically), so cellar remains as “cellar”, but saying “cellar dammit” gives you “seller”.
There are only so many times that you can take “cap commission” rendering as “cup commission” instead of “Commission” (commission dammit!).
I know what you're going to say, but it really does work for me (I have a mental list of dammit words).
Collapse

neilmac

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Any port in a storm Dec 4, 2019

Stuart Hoskins wrote:

I know what you're going to say, but it really does work for me (I have a mental list of dammit words).

I already do something similar for example with homophones. I recently did a translation which included "principle" and "principal", so I pronounced the latter with a strong á on the end (principál) and that worked out fine. I'll try the dammit thing you suggest, it sounds like a laugh

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reluctant Dragon NS

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »